The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gunman kills woman at Pennsylvania church, two men elsewhere

Heretic

This is something that I can't seem to get an answer about from the two or three gun defenders around here, M_M...

There are mentally unstable people all over the world. So why does this sort of thing happen so much more often in the US than in any other country?

This is why we blame the guns.

Rupert I honestly have no idea why it happens in the US more often...maybe it's a huge collective paranoia or some kind of macho bullcrap...if anyone can find any research into this question you've asked maybe both of us could get an idea as to what the reason for this is.

The question was somewhat rhetorical, MM.

In my mind, there really is no doubt whatsoever. These things happen with far more regularity in the United States than they do in the rest of the first world because the United States has far more guns than any of the other first world countries.

This is the point I've been trying to get across to Zaibatsu and Electro Rock. When you realize that mental illness and video games are not exclusive to the United States, you have to search for the thing that is. The answer is, an amount of guns that is equal to the population of the country.

Rupert I honestly have no idea why it happens in the US more often...maybe it's a huge collective paranoia or some kind of macho bullcrap...if anyone can find any research into this question you've asked maybe both of us could get an idea as to what the reason for this is.

I'd just like to add that while mental illness isn't exclusive to the US, the lack of care and in some cases general apathy toward the mentally ill by lazy, incompetent doctors is fairly exclusive to the US. I can't think of any other first world country where the mentally ill are swept under the rug or doped with so much medication that they cannot function in their nation's "normal" society. In a way, these doctors are also indirectly responsible for people in this country being addicted to painkillers, muscle relaxers, psychotropic drugs like Prozac, Klonopin in my case...and thereby also responsible for the high rate of drug abuse in this country. It's pretty well documented that more people in the US have chosen these pharma poisons as their drugs of choice, and in my opinion...if they TRULY want to accomplish something in the "war on drugs" they oughta start with those, and leave me and my responsible toker friends alone.

That's exactly what I mean. People said the exact same thing about blacks, women, etc... If you go into something believing it will never work or happen, well guess what, it won't. 50 years before women could vote if you suggested women would not only vote but be in positions of power as they are now, you would have been mocked off as a lunatic.

Doesn't mean it's easy, or straight forward, or maybe all doable now. But if your starting point is 'never going to happen' well, good luck trying to change anything.

Dude my starting point is "never going to happen" because first of all I live here in the god damned USA, and second of all, I'm a realist. I'll make this perfectly clear. This is not a women's issue, or a civil rights issue...so I have no idea why you were drawing any sort of comparison between them and GUNS for **** sake...If you didn't grow up here, go to school here..YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND HOW INDOCTRINATED THESE PEOPLE ARE....both about GUNS...and "GOD". They are fanatics for both...and if you think for a second...that in this barbaric society you are EVER going to get these people to give up their guns willingly....you have lost your ****ing mind.

Yeah well I'm writing this from Podunk, NC...there are gun-toting crazies all around me. You come live in the South for about a month and then revisit whether this has a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. You try to take away these people's guns...and there WILL be a revolt...I will guarandamntee it.

Listen man...I'm all for getting rid of these military grade weapons 100% there's no reason for civilians to possess them...but if you're even hinting at some kind of full gun ban you have blinders on.

Archived