51 replies to this topic

#31 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm not sure if Booth really fits with the team. He doesn't mesh well with Kesler and isn't good enough to play with the Sedins. In reality (aside from his one 60 point season) he is more of a 2nd/3rd line tweener with a bloated salary. I like him as a player, but we already have one puck-hog on the 2nd line and I'd rather have someone with more playmaking vision next to Kesler. Jensen and Kassian will also be vying for a top-six spot soon and I'd take their sub-900k cap hits over Booth's.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#32 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Nice to see the Pom Pom wavers are still full of energy despite the lockout. :towel: :canucks: :picard:

#33 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Are you guys all forgetting about Samuelsson?

The guy ended up outscoring (pace-wise) Booth all of last season and was one of if not our best playoff performer. Booth did nothing in the playoffs.

This trade hurt us last season, but should pay dividends later on as Booth is much younger and more physical than Samuelsson. Still, not as great a trade as everyone makes it out to be - we lost one of our best forwards and a proven winner in Samuelsson for a guy who had never played a playoff game in his life.

This was about as even a trade as they come so for those of you who think MG won big time, shake your head and look what Samuelsson did for us during our 2011 Cup run. Good trade, but it wasn't a steal and we definately had to give away a lot to get Booth.

Samy was inept for us in that run....
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#34 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

This whole Booth and Kes not passing thing is way over blown.

zackass.png

#35 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Nice to see the Pom Pom wavers are still full of energy despite the lockout. :towel: :canucks: :picard:

Wait, what?

/=S=/

#36 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

I love Booth, he is a tough player with nice finish. I love his style of play, finishes his checks, ask Drew Doughty what it's like to get caught with your head down around Booth. David is a good player, had a decent year despite missing 30 games, but 29 points in 56 games isn't phenomenal but it's not terrible. I appreciate David and what he brings to the floor for the Canucks, I hope to see him for years to come.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#37 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Danny/Kesler/Booth would be a dominating physical first line that busts size match ups with speed, size and talent. And Danny does not just bury goals, he is one of the worlds best play makers.

You could then afford to have Burrows and Hank with another physical equalizer; Kassian. Anyone not think Kassian's development would take a massive jump? Burrows would teach him to go hell bent into the corners and cover the ice defensively, Hank would reward him... They would absolutely clean up on 2knd tier defensive match ups???

:bigblush:

Remember, after icing calls, on the PP and in key situations you can always reunite the Twins Burr!

Split the Sedins?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 24 December 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#38 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Danny/Kesler/Booth would be a dominating physical first line that busts size match ups with speed, size and talent. And Danny does not just bury goals, he is one of the worlds best play makers.

You could then afford to have Burrows and Hank with another physical equalizer; Kassian. Anyone not think Kassian's development would take a massive jump? Burrows would teach him to go hell bent into the corners and cover the ice defensively, Hank would reward him... They would absolutely clean up on 2knd tier defensive match ups???

:bigblush:

Remember, after icing calls, on the PP and in key situations you can always reunite the Twins Burr!

I would rather hank with kes and booth. more passing. danny has the best shot on our team putting him with 2 other shoot first forwards just doesn't make sence to me. I don't mind your idea though just swap hank and danny.

Edited by TruCanuck, 24 December 2012 - 10:02 AM.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#39 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Samuelsson > Booth. I value the chemistry Samuelsson had with the Sedins and Kesler over the potential chemistry Booth could build with just Kesler.

Sig too big. 

#40 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

At present Booth plays imo like a lone wolf. And Newsflash, he's not good enough to play that style for us. Decent defences figure him out because they realise he rarely passes early and if he is shepherded into the corner where he becomes a liability due to his leaving us open to counter attack.
He is NOT defensively aware. Maybe that gung-ho style works for a 3rd rate team but not for Vancouver.

However...........He is NOT a lost cause. He has a lot of good qualities, his bravery for start and his unwillingness to be bullied and desire to go to the net.

If he learns to pass and pass early and if he learns to mark "his" opposition player coming into play trying to blindside him we will have a diamond.

It is early days, he is still young, he has had injuries and (as was seen with his howler in front of his M&D in Detroit) he is inclined to try too hard sometimes and this leads to being greedy. He craves popularity and I think it affects his game but all he needs is an arm round the shoulder and some firm guidance.

Edited by Bodee, 25 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#41 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,436 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Samuelsson > Booth. I value the chemistry Samuelsson had with the Sedins and Kesler over the potential chemistry Booth could build with just Kesler.

Samuelsson was old, slow, injury prone, and on the last year of his contract. Booth is big, strong, fast, and has term on his contract.

#42 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Samuelsson was old, slow, injury prone, and on the last year of his contract. Booth is big, strong, fast, and has term on his contract.

I agree completely, Booth brings something we didn't have. We needed to get bigger and we did, that was a great trade.

Sammuelsson was good but he was aging, even if we didn't make that trade I doubt he would have hit 30 Goals and possibly not even 50 Points, he is slow and injuries have taken there tool, using him in that deal was great asset managment since he left right away and would have had alot less value had we had held onto him longer and went after a deal like that at say the trade deadline or close to it.

zackass.png

#43 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

I hardly think Detroit thought they were signing a broken down has been at 2 years and $6m with a no trade clause.

By the way Booth is only bigger in your dreams, being 2" shorter and 6 lbs lighter than Sammy. Sammy gave us two 50+ points seasons, lets wait and see what Booth gives us

Samuelsson tied two Canucks playoff records. With seven goals in six games, he tied Pavel Bure for most goals in a series and with goals in the first five games of the series, he tied Cliff Ronning for longest goal-scoring streak

Not bad for a 32 year old $2.5 / year free agent...............what is Booth making?

Edited by Bodee, 26 December 2012 - 04:36 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#44 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

This whole Booth and Kes not passing thing is way over blown.

They passed the puck to each other? When?

#45 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:10 AM

They passed the puck to each other? When?

I don't think there styles are suited for them making plays together off the rush, rather they need to take the puck to the net and get it in deep.

That being said I don't think they have ever looked each other off when there are clear chances to pass and stuff like everyone here makes it seem.

zackass.png

#46 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

And who do you propose we use as second line centre? <_<

Danny, as mentioned in the first post, is already a superb passer, possibly top 5 or 7 in the world for forwards? Hank, Syd, Big Joe, Datsyuk, Malkin, Danny...

One of our problems is balance, and we have our two best passers (possibly best three) and very little size bottled up with Twins / Burr. Teams are not going to shut Booth, Kesler and Danny down physically and it has plenty of speed. If anything this has more goal scoring potential which could be unlocked.

I would rather hank with kes and booth. more passing. danny has the best shot on our team putting him with 2 other shoot first forwards just doesn't make sence to me. I don't mind your idea though just swap hank and danny.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 26 December 2012 - 06:02 AM.

#47 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

And who do you propose we use as second line centre? <_<

Danny, as mentioned in the first post, is already a superb passer, possibly top 5 or 7 in the world for forwards? Hank, Syd, Big Joe, Datsyuk, Malkin, Danny...

One of our problems is balance, and we have our two best passers (possibly best three) and very little size bottled up with Twins / Burr. Teams are not going to shut Booth, Kesler and Danny down physically and it has plenty of speed. If anything this has more goal scoring potential which could be unlocked.

...Raymond... lol forgot about faceoffs. now I feel dumb.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#48 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Raymond and Kes have chemistry. Booth, as I say needs to become a team player or he'll be out of there (especially at $4.2, that is no bargain for what he brings just now)
Kevin.jpg

#49 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,436 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

David Booth looks like he really leaned out during the extended off-season.
This is what I was hoping for, he seemed to beef up a bit too much after his concussion.
I think we're about to get a glimpse of the real David Booth.
A dangerous David Booth alone can turn our second line around without Kesler.

#50 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

David Booth looks like he really leaned out during the extended off-season.
This is what I was hoping for, he seemed to beef up a bit too much after his concussion.
I think we're about to get a glimpse of the real David Booth.
A dangerous David Booth alone can turn our second line around without Kesler.

Yeah I agree, he's such a good player when he is at his best, so much speed and power aswell as a huge body who goes to the net fearlessly to create chances, I just hope he shoots more this year I think he has a good shot.

Glad to see he is in great shape, hopefully he has a solid year, and think he and Kassian too will now that they are both completely adjusted to the team.

zackass.png

#51 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

Booth was a great pick up, I'm glad we got him too. He is a genuine power forward and he plays that role well. The only problem is that he is lacking chemistry with Kesler because they both play similar styles. Where else could they put him or who could they pair him with?

#52 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Booth was a great pick up, I'm glad we got him too. He is a genuine power forward and he plays that role well. The only problem is that he is lacking chemistry with Kesler because they both play similar styles. Where else could they put him or who could they pair him with?

With his 1st year behind him, I think Booth will live up to his potential this year. Both Kes and Booth need a playmaker on their line, so I am hoping that MG will somehow address this issue. Some folks thing that Kassian may be able to step up, but that remains to be seen.

I actually think that there are a number of Nuck players that will have improved this season. Booth, Ballard, Hansen, Lapierre, Tanev, Raymond and Malholtra come to mind. I also think the rest was a good thing for the Sedins.

Edited by higgyfan, 11 January 2013 - 11:01 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.