Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LeanBeef

PROTEIN powder and Weight gainer shakes

65 posts in this topic

Anyone have any suggestions a fairly priced solid protein?

I've been using ALLMAX isoflex for over a year and it's great! Unfortunately it's been emptying out my wallet.

How's the Kaizen isolate protein at costco? It has a similar profile to isoflex but I don't know much about it.

Also what's your take on weight gainer shakes? (ie. Quickmass, Mutant mass, etc.)

It's hard to make weight gaining meals as a student, so I might have to rely on the shakes when I'm bulking.

Thanks in advance

optimum nutrition 100% whey Gold standard is the best out there, i can tell you a website that gets you 5LBS for 50$,pm me if you want it BUT i cannot stress this enough, get all your protein from food if possible, because if money is an issue, it is not worth draining out your wallet. As for weight gainers, make you own. it will save you tons of cash and is just as effective (you can probably tell that i hate supplements) but if you must, i recommend Real Mass (available on same website). it doesnt have as many calories as others but the nutritional value is #1.

i can tell you from experience that supplements will only give you a significant boost if paired with good nutrition.

Basic premise of weight gain (and weight gainer shakes) is energy balance. When you eat you gain energy in the form of Calories. Your body uses up this energy in its regular day-to-day activities and through physical exertion.

Energy Balance = Energy in - Energy Out

A positive energy balance (more calories consumed than expended) results in weight gain. A negative energy balance (more calories expended than consumed) results in weight loss. Weight gainer shakes like Quickmass and Mutant Mass use this premise. They overload your body with calories, which your body then stores the extra primarily as fat. Working out converts the fat into muscle. Theoretically they should work.

BUT, as you gain more weight your body adapts to the amount of calories/energy you need to sustain yourself (your basal metabolic rate). The more you weigh and the more muscular you are the higher your basal metabolic rate is. So, initially if you stick with the recommended dose of Quickmass or Mutant Mass you should see weight gain, but as you gain more and more weight it will have a lesser effect -- you'll gain weight at a lesser rate. Think of it as weight training. If you curl 20's you eventually get to a point where it is very easy to curl 20's and you need more weight to exert your muscles. You'll eventually need even more calories to gain weight at the same rate.

In terms of PROTEIN SHAKES, I think they are bogus. With our meat-heavy Western diet we get more than enough protein to both sustain and improve our muscle mass. I did a dietary analysis once and found that I had over 200% more protein than the daily recommended value and that was without me taking any protein supplements. Why do protein shakes work then??? Because they give you extra calories (>250 calories per serving). Combine that with naturally increasing your diet as you expend more energy and bam: weight gain.

SOURCE: Kinesiology student.

I agree with canucks#01fan -- not that he is the Canucks' #01 fan as that title belongs to me :lol: -- but in that proper nutrition is the key to any exercise plan (along with performing the right exercises of course). Supplements are exactly that. They supplement whatever you're diet happens to be missing. Besides, spending loads of cash money on supplements sucks!

Basic premise of weight gain (and weight gainer shakes) is energy balance. When you eat you gain energy in the form of Calories. Your body uses up this energy in its regular day-to-day activities and through physical exertion.

Energy Balance = Energy in - Energy Out

A positive energy balance (more calories consumed than expended) results in weight gain. A negative energy balance (more calories expended than consumed) results in weight loss. Weight gainer shakes like Quickmass and Mutant Mass use this premise. They overload your body with calories, which your body then stores the extra primarily as fat. Working out converts the fat into muscle. Theoretically they should work.

BUT, as you gain more weight your body adapts to the amount of calories/energy you need to sustain yourself (your basal metabolic rate). The more you weigh and the more muscular you are the higher your basal metabolic rate is. So, initially if you stick with the recommended dose of Quickmass or Mutant Mass you should see weight gain, but as you gain more and more weight it will have a lesser effect -- you'll gain weight at a lesser rate. Think of it as weight training. If you curl 20's you eventually get to a point where it is very easy to curl 20's and you need more weight to exert your muscles. You'll eventually need even more calories to gain weight at the same rate.

In terms of PROTEIN SHAKES, I think they are bogus. With our meat-heavy Western diet we get more than enough protein to both sustain and improve our muscle mass. I did a dietary analysis once and found that I had over 200% more protein than the daily recommended value and that was without me taking any protein supplements. Why do protein shakes work then??? Because they give you extra calories (>250 calories per serving). Combine that with naturally increasing your diet as you expend more energy and bam: weight gain.

protein plus meat =sucess get the cheaper steak plus costco chicken breast man

Mass Fusion. Similar to Mutant Mass but with less sugar. Mostly for the calories. Protein is easy enough to get; egg whites, fish, chicken, cottage cheese, milk. etc.

1 cup egg whites and 2 cups v8.

I'm with Blomqvist, I did my gain naturally. I eat Quinoa and Edamame regularly in my diet, and both have a huge amount of protein while being all natural. I'm only 5'10'' but I'm 185 lbs, and pretty shredded (p90x during the summer). Quinoa and edamame are easy to prep, quinoa is like rice - just bring it to boil with water, while edamame (baby soy beans) can just be nuked in the microwave (3 minutes) and sprinkle some salt on it for flavour. I'm pretty sure a costco supply of each is far less than the expensive weight gainers.

my 2 cents if your broke: learn how to utilize the "other" parts of the animal. theres a whole lotta cow that isnt "steak" and its all supercheap; you just have to google how to cook it. ex. beef shank, which comes from the leg of the steer. usually its braised for like a stew/soup but its some of the most flavourful meat on the animal and you can get it for like 3$ / lb. just go to your grocery store of choice and see what you can afford and google how to cook it. as long as you have a stove and/or a slow cooker your golden. word to wise try and avoid the precut chunks labled "stew beef" unless your really desperate; its generally a collection of all the bits left over from all the other cuts that werent turned into ground beef, so you could concievably end up with 35 diifferent cuts in one pack that all cook differently resulting in poor stew. if your feeling adventurous try some offal, some people dont like it but its the most nutritious piece of the beast, many consider it the best part.

I'm 5"11 215 and built pretty solid. The ISO is best for me if you're really training right and want to bulk up. I have been going hard since the summer up from 205lbs.

Problem with food proteins is for me they get old quick. I personally don't feed my body the same food items too much. I'm heavy on the beef pasta and steak. Egg white breakfasts. 2-3 shakes/ day. Sashimi. Chicken. Rotating through trying to switch it up every week.

Don't usually eat pork unless its convenient I just find its greasy. If you want the straight muscle gain whey is going to be the most helpful though.

Just be happy and do whatever motivates you, good luck.

Also I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned this but people often overlook hydration. I'm have been downing about 3 liters/day. Noticed an increase of energy and I freel like if you hydrate properly the nutrients really flow through your body well. That would be good for you without the ISO. Make sure to hydrate up every day.

so far the best weight gainer i've had is optimum nutrition serious mass. You WILL put on mass, but you better be taking it with regular weight exercises. The best whey protein i've had is 100% gold standard whey by optimum nutrition. They're one of the only protein marketers that produce their products in their own factory.

Dynmatize elite all natural is what I'm currently using. Taste great, and it's cheaper than the gold standard all natural. I usually get the chocolate and add natural peanut butter, fresh coconut meat, coconut water, milk, fiber, and sometimes an egg white and a couple scoops of Greek yogurt. Have that with a couple pieces of whole wheat toast or some oatmeal and you've got a pretty quick an easy meal.

I'm not big on artificial sweeteners, which is really the only difference with the all natural.

Disregard all the people yapping about how protein powders are a waste of money. Protein powders are a supplement, not a complete replacement of all meats and proteins. While its completely possible to consume enough protein through whole foods, it's not always practical and cost efficient.

Optimum nutrition is the best tasting protein I've ever gotten... I'd go with that. Weight gainer shakes are useless, you barely get any servings out of those big containers. Just blend oats + flax seeds with protein powder and milk.

I used ON gold standard before but stopped using it once I found out about isoflex, which is much better.

As for people telling me to eat more, I try, but it's hard when you're a student trying to cook up a ton of meals while having work and homework as a bigger priority.

Weight gainer shakes can wait though, as I'm cutting right now (5'6 175 during bulk now 168)

When bulking I at least try to get in some steak, chicken, salmon, and veggies.

Anyways thanks for the advice

I used ON gold standard before but stopped using it once I found out about isoflex, which is much better.

As for people telling me to eat more, I try, but it's hard when you're a student trying to cook up a ton of meals while having work and homework as a bigger priority.

Weight gainer shakes can wait though, as I'm cutting right now (5'6 175 during bulk now 168)

When bulking I at least try to get in some steak, chicken, salmon, and veggies.

Anyways thanks for the advice

Working out converts the fat into muscle.

Fat DOES NOT convert to muscle. Fat is reduced and muscle is increased. It's not like turning water into ice.

5' 9" 210 pounds, from 5' 9" 140 lbs in a little over a year. (i have before and after pics and its shocking lol)

The three keys to gaining mass imo:

1. Nutrition- food, food, food but also supplements like a good gainer and creatine, glutamine, bcaa's, glucosamine (for joints) multi vitamin... etc.

2. Form- no jerking/throw your back out b.s. I go heavy but never would you see me jerk twist or over strain.

3. Rest- self explanitory

My supplements of choice come from MusclePharm (bought online in a 7-8 part 'stack' from bodybuilding.com)

But as been said already, although supps are effective- real deal food (and lots of it) is key.