Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Post-Lockout: Is it time to put Hansen in the top 6?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Post-Lockout: Is it time to put Hansen in the top 6? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Hansen be put in the top 6?

1. Yes, he has proven he can produce offence effectively and has earned his chance (10 votes [21.28%])

Percentage of vote: 21.28%

2. No, he should stay on the 3rd/4th line and be a role player (37 votes [78.72%])

Percentage of vote: 78.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Jaanik Hansen as all of you already know, is on the upswing of his career. This season, in the SM-Liiga in Europe, Hansen has 5G, 8A in 15 GP. His plus-minus is almost always positive, and he can go to the dirty areas and feed Kesler the puck.

IMO, Hansen has worked hard for this spot, and shouldn't be subjected to just being a 3rd/4th liner. He should be given a long, hard look as Kesler's new 2nd line RW.

For someone drafted in a round, which no longer exists...I'd say it's time to give him the opportunity to show his stuff.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#2 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

We tried him on the 1st line a few times.

He is just better fit for a 3rd line role

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Love Hansen..on the 3rd line. :canucks:
Posted Image

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Fits the 3rd line role better, if we had injuries I wouldn't mind giving him a shot as I think his offensive skill is better than he is given credit for.

But I would like to see Kassian get that shot, he Booth and Kesler all had great games when they were together against Buffalo, for some reason AV didn't keep them together however, so hopefully we could get an extended look at that line post lockout.

zackass.png

#5 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

I think Raymond should get a shot in the top six again. He has upside, people just don't see it. At worst, he is a bottom six winger with a good defensive game.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#6 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Not banking on him as a permanent solution, I'll tell ya what. I suppose he will suffice for a short period of time filling in for injured players, but he is a better suited for a 3rd line role as mentioned (which is obviously not a knock against him as some top six players could never play that 3rd line role effectively).

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 23 December 2012 - 02:56 PM.

Posted Image

#7 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Honestly, some people are just damned good third liners. Third line seems to be where CDCers relegate anyone they don't think is an absolute superstar but really its just a different skill set, just like how people on here say certain forwards are "top 6 or bust". Hansen forechecks hard, plays physical, skates fast and really plays his minutes for all they're worth. That is his job as a third liner and he's only getting better at it. I'm eager to see him convert more of those chances he works to create and I know he can and will do that. He has more versatility and I think he'll get some 2nd line minutes when the option suits us but he's good at being a third liner. That's not a bad thing.

#8 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Keep on the third line. That's where he excels best. Don't throw him up to the top six (where he won't produce as expected and lose all confidence), and stray from his hard working game. Like nate said, some guys are just good third liners.

/=S=/

#9 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I think Raymond should get a shot in the top six again. He has upside, people just don't see it. At worst, he is a bottom six winger with a good defensive game.

What?? Raymond has no place on this team other than an injury replacement. Our only hope is that he plays well for a bit of a stretch so we can trade him for a 2nd round pick or decent prospect, but even that is a stretch.

Hansen belongs on the 3rd line. Sure, he could play top 6 if needed but his value is highest on the 3rd line. I'd prefer Higgins in the top 6 if anything.

I'd like to start with a 3rd line of Hansen - Lapierre - Kassian.

Edited by VIC_CITY, 23 December 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#10 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

What?? Raymond has no place on this team other than an injury replacement. Our only hope is that he plays well for a bit of a stretch so we can trade him for a 2nd round pick or decent prospect, but even that is a stretch.

Hansen belongs on the 3rd line. Sure, he could play top 6 if needed but his value is highest on the 3rd line. I'd prefer Higgins in the top 6 if anything.

I'd like to start with a 3rd line of Hansen - Lapierre - Kassian.

I meant that he should get a shot in the top six, in the hope he could perform like his pre-injury self. If he does not, the worst thing that happens is we have a defensively responsible winger in our bottom six.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#11 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Was he even good before he got injured? He had one solid year but that was ages ago.

Believe me, I'd love Raymond to be a 20 goal scorer but he just doesn't have the instincts. He doesn't take the puck to the net with any authority and at his age, if that isn't part of his game then I just don't see things changing moving forward.

#12 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Post-Lockout: Is it time to put Hansen in the press box. YES!

"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#13 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I love Hansen as a third liner, I even own a Hansen game issued jersey.
He reminds me of Kesler in some ways before Kesler broke out as a sniper.
Hansen is a tenacious player to say the least, Raymond should take a long look at his play.

#14 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I meant that he should get a shot in the top six, in the hope he could perform like his pre-injury self. If he does not, the worst thing that happens is we have a defensively responsible winger in our bottom six.

I agree with you 100%. Fans (myself included) didn't really give Raymond a fair shake after coming back from that back injury...I guess people just don't (and I didn't) understand how hard it is to come back from an injury like that. With adequate time and hopefully intense training, hopefully MayRay can return to pre-injury form. If not, no harm no foul and he's a defensively responsible bottom six winger, with breakneck speed.

/=S=/

#15 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,540 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

No, he should stay on the 3rd/4th line and be a role player.

Best fit: 3rd line.

307mg00.jpg

#16 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Doesn't matter what line he is on. As long as he plays for our team, I'm happy...

Hansen could probably play D and be amazing at it.

#17 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

one of the best third liners in the nhl, should stay there
Posted Image

#18 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Doesn't matter what line he is on. As long as he plays for our team, I'm happy...

Hansen could probably play D and be amazing at it.

Is it weird that I want to see this??

/=S=/

#19 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Don't really think that there's any room for him on it, I mean, our wingers are Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Raymond, Kassian, and in a few years Jensen too.

There's just no room for him in the top six, and he's a great third liner!

#20 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Don't really think that there's any room for him on it, I mean, our wingers are Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Raymond, Kassian, and in a few years Jensen too.

There's just no room for him in the top six, and he's a great third liner!

Hanson is above kassian by a long shot at this point. Whatever your smoking it must be good. After kassian cracks the lineup lets talk again. So far he has done a great job warming the bench.

#21 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Jaanik Hansen as all of you already know, is on the upswing of his career. This season, in the SM-Liiga in Europe, Hansen has 5G, 8A in 15 GP. His plus-minus is almost always positive, and he can go to the dirty areas and feed Kesler the puck.

IMO, Hansen has worked hard for this spot, and shouldn't be subjected to just being a 3rd/4th liner. He should be given a long, hard look as Kesler's new 2nd line RW.

For someone drafted in a round, which no longer exists...I'd say it's time to give him the opportunity to show his stuff.

As has been noted by others, Hansen is a damn good 3rd liner. I'm okay with him staying at 3RW with periodic moves to the top-6. Where there might be an issue down the road is what if Hansen sees himself as a top-6 forward and tries the free agent market with a team looking for a solid defensive winger with decent offensive skills? Who also will probably be fairly inexpensive compared to some other established top-6 wingers?

Was he even good before he got injured? He had one solid year but that was ages ago.

Believe me, I'd love Raymond to be a 20 goal scorer but he just doesn't have the instincts. He doesn't take the puck to the net with any authority and at his age, if that isn't part of his game then I just don't see things changing moving forward.

I've thought there were two factors in Raymond's downfall (three, if you count the back).

First, when he had his thumb broken in that game in the 2010 - 11 season. It looks to me that his shot hasn't been the same since that time.

Second, Kesler moved to more of a shoot first policy. This may have been because both Samuelsson and Raymond already weren't scoring at their previous season's pace, or maybe he did it independent of their results. Certainly a significant portion of his scoring was done on the power play and not with the 2nd line. Perhaps this shoot first mind-set from the 1st unit power play impacted in how he played with the 2nd line.

And then the back injury came along which set Raymond back even further.

I was a bit surprised that Gillis didn't find a new home for Raymond during/just after last season. Signing him for this year is perhaps part of the team culture which Gillis is trying to generate. He gave Raymond a last chance to redeem himself.

Another aspect of Gillis signing Raymond may have something to do with the assumed Luongo trade and the uncertainty of the CBA negotiations. Raymond could well be part of that deal, or, assuming other assets get moved with Luongo, Raymond could also fill in as a 2nd/3rd liner until such time as a replacement could be found, perhaps at the trade deadline (assuming Raymond is playing below expectations).

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#22 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Jannick had a 39 point year playing third line fiddle.

He is at an age where he has matured and can break out.

The only one that can determine where Jannick plays is the man,himself.

#23 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Agree with everyone else that he should stay on the 3rd line for now. This isn't because he's a bad player, it's because that's his role and he does it so well. A good team needs great role players and Hansen is a great 3rd liner. A guy like Hansen in a smaller role can do more for his team than he can in a bigger role that doesn't fit. I actually think Hansen could move into the Top 6 later on because his offensive side seems to be improving, but for now he belongs on the 3rd line.

#24 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

He's got underrated offensive skills, yes, but he's just about the best 3rd liner in the league, so why take him away from there?

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#25 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Sphincter

• Members
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hansen has enough playmaking ability that he could be a good set-up man for Kesler. Problem is that he's been (at least so far in his career) pretty streaky offensively. Went on a tear last December, but tailed off a bit afterward.

Regardless, he is one of the best third-liners I've seen on this team since the lockout so it wouldn't be a problem at all to keep him there.

Edited by Brad Marchand, 23 December 2012 - 09:05 PM.

Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#26 K_9

K_9

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

As a gut reaction I first voted no because I thoguth to myself no way man this guy is our Kris Draper or Kirk Maltby from those frustratingly effective Detroit checking lines in the late 90's early 2000's.

But after thinking it over for a few moments I realized that this would be an amazing fit in the Nuck's roster if he could produce and play well on a line with Kes and Booth.

If we could have lines that looked like

S.S. Burr
Booth Kes Hansen
Higgins Lappy Kassian
Raymond Malhotra Weise

Volpatti Ebbett Pinizzotto

I'd be happy going into the season.

However, why the heck do we want Raymond on our 4th line? He can't play anywhere else and I don't see his production on the 2nd PP unit being very crucial to the team's success.

I guess top 6 depth is another reason to keep him around as well as his speed and occasional effectiveness at shootouts, but I think a package of Raymond and ebbett with a late pick, or decent prospect like Yann Sauve, could get us a grinding 3rd/4th line RW that can chip in the occasional goal; like Hansen, but tougher and would play beneath Kassian.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Raymond-fail top 6.Can exchange for Jannick on 3rd if he moves up.
Kassian-nope.Fourth line or third at tops.
Schroeder-nope.If a talented Hodgson is shipped away then ......

With Higgins ,Booth and Kes commanding spots on the second there is no room,anyways.
Only way Jannick moves to the second is if Higgins and/or Booth get traded away or he simply becomes a second liner with age/experience and usurps either of those two.

So,Raymond and Hansen on the third? Raymond is not the playoff type performer I envision.

#28 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,414 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Cory Schneider - "A little bit of Jannik Hansen"

I agree with Schneids, less is more with Hansen. I think he's perfect in a 3rd line role and putting him in an offensive role makes him less aggressive.

Subbancopy.jpg

#29 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

I would give Raymond one more shot to see what he can do in the playoffs as a top sixer. The last 2 series were vs the 2 bigger more physical teams we came across. Despite being labelled ''soft pansy wont go to durty areas'' ( dont see Raymond tumbleweeding or taking abuse from dwarfs jussayin) he was one of our better players and nearly the only guy creating quality chances. He had his back snapped vs Bos and still recovering vs LA with a useless centre in Kesler.

He was sooo close to getting a couple goals and assists vs LA, just didnt have the balance to contain his speed, linemates totally sucked and missed the net after getting his primo passes. He drew some penalties with his speed not by flailing like a girl. Deserves another chance after a proper offseason to regain physical form. Think he can break 20 goals again and contribute to a long playoff run if he gets it.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 24 December 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#30 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Problem is Higgins played well with Hansen and if Higgins is on the third -who's on second? Raymond ?

Problem is if Raymond is on third then Higgins does not play with Hansen.

It is clear a second line winger is needed for Higgins to play with Jannick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.