The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the hell is wrong with people in America?

Primus099

Gun murders happen all the time. It's typically the extreme ones like this that make all the headlines though.

So I think it is media driven. The only reason a person would do something like this, or like the Newtown shooting, is to become infamous. In their own sick heads, they think they'll be remembered more than they would if they just offed themselves.

That's Lester Chambers of the Chambers Brothers, whose biggest hit was "Time Has Come Today"

and the actor is "The Odd Couple"'s Jack Klugman...and frankly these are much better stories to read than anything having to do with violence...maybe you should read the article on Lester Chambers...who finally got his due and more importantly royalties, due royalties, for the use of the song in this video. That is a touching article.

Man first of all, since the reason I was let go is because my Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder wouldn't allow me to do the job effectively anymore I strongly object to your inference that I am making an excuse...I don't know how to drive either, and I'm actually afraid to drive on the roads around here and around people who shouldn't be driving to start with.

Murders of all kinds, including murders via firearms, are down sharply over the past 25 years and continue to decline year over year. What has changed is that every time there is an incident like this, it is well-publicized and is the focus of attention. America is far safer and less afflicted by crime, especially violent crime, than at any time in recent memory. For some reason there's this feeling today that nobody should ever die, especially not violently or tragically. Not every terrible thing can be prevented. The cure in these cases is worse than the disease. Making major policy changes based on isolated incidents is a dangerous thing to do. I beg y'all, have some perspective. Reporting may be better and faster today, but that does not mean violence, war, or danger are on the rise. You have never been safer. If you live in Canada or America or western Europe today, nobody in human history has ever been safer from crime or violence than you are right now. Think about that for a minute.

Murders of all kinds, including murders via firearms, are down sharply over the past 25 years and continue to decline year over year. What has changed is that every time there is an incident like this, it is well-publicized and is the focus of attention. America is far safer and less afflicted by crime, especially violent crime, than at any time in recent memory. For some reason there's this feeling today that nobody should ever die, especially not violently or tragically. Not every terrible thing can be prevented. The cure in these cases is worse than the disease. Making major policy changes based on isolated incidents is a dangerous thing to do. I beg y'all, have some perspective. Reporting may be better and faster today, but that does not mean violence, war, or danger are on the rise. You have never been safer. If you live in Canada or America or western Europe today, nobody in human history has ever been safer from crime or violence than you are right now. Think about that for a minute.

Archived