Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

What the hell is wrong with people in America?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,890 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Wow, this really needs to stop.

Thank you for clarifying that the pointless loss of life is bad, I was having difficulty wrapping my head around the concept.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#32 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

America needs to be put in time out.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#33 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,953 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Not sure if the acts are media-driven? Or if these act happen all the time and the media is just playing it up because of Connecticut?

We cannot be made aware of all 12,000 gun-related deaths that happen in the US each year. But we sure can be made aware of a few NOW, after the Connecticut massacre, can't we?

Still... Firemen? wtf?
Posted Image

#34 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Before people jump all over me, I completely understand what the 2nd ammendment was for (protection against an oppressive government), and that it is a defined constitutional right in the US. I just believe that less guns or stricter controls on what can be owned would make that country a heck of a lot safer.

Since it was an amendment, constitutional or not, can't it be amended?
Posted Image

#35 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

It can, but it would require the backing of about 38 or 39 states to even suggest editing any Constitutional amendment...
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#36 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Of course but since the first ten amendments collectively comprise the US Bill of Rights, that seems unlikely to occur.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#37 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Not sure if the acts are media-driven? Or if these act happen all the time and the media is just playing it up because of Connecticut?

We cannot be made aware of all 12,000 gun-related deaths that happen in the US each year. But we sure can be made aware of a few NOW, after the Connecticut massacre, can't we?

Still... Firemen? wtf?

Exactly what I'm thinking...

However, the increased media coverage about seemingly every single gun related death will hopefully allow them to see how big of a hole America is in right now.

#38 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Still... Firemen? wtf?

Gun murders happen all the time. It's typically the extreme ones like this that make all the headlines though.

So I think it is media driven. The only reason a person would do something like this, or like the Newtown shooting, is to become infamous. In their own sick heads, they think they'll be remembered more than they would if they just offed themselves.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#39 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm getting the feeling that the holiday is somewhat connected here. Going off the studies that suggest the perpetrators of such attacks feel deeply separated from society, then a holiday could in effect could make those same people hit their breaking point. A day that brings everyone closer together also pushes others further away. Watch out for New Years the way things are going.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#40 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm getting the feeling that the holiday is somewhat connected here. Going off the studies that suggest the perpetrators of such attacks feel deeply separated from society, then a holiday could in effect could make those same people hit their breaking point. A day that brings everyone closer together also pushes others further away. Watch out for New Years the way things are going.

I'm surprised hardly anything happened due to "the end of the world" still...

#41 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Rochester is only about an hour and a half away from me so this is all over the local news. Police are saying the shooter purposely set a trap to lure them in. :sadno:

edit: The shooter spent 17 years in jail for murdering his grandmother.

http://www.democrata...?nclick_check=1

Edited by Squirrels.Gone.Wild, 24 December 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#42 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Pretty clearly the problem is that fire departments have taken God out of the firehalls. That is the problem.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#43 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Pretty clearly the problem is that fire departments have taken God out of the firehalls. That is the problem.

Simple fix: give guns to all the firemen out there.

#44 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Gun murders happen all the time. It's typically the extreme ones like this that make all the headlines though.

So I think it is media driven. The only reason a person would do something like this, or like the Newtown shooting, is to become infamous. In their own sick heads, they think they'll be remembered more than they would if they just offed themselves.

The worst part is none of these douchebags is alive afterwards. They all act like pussies and kill themselves.

#45 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Rochester is only about an hour and a half away from me so this is all over the local news. Police are saying the shooter purposely set a trap to lure them in. :sadno:

edit: The shooter spent 17 years in jail for murdering his grandmother.

http://www.democrata...?nclick_check=1

Well that's another fine rehabilitation job by America's prison system, isn't it?
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#46 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I await, with mild curiosity, for the next time a Church catch's fire ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#47 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

WOW, AMERICANS ARE SOOOO DUMB! LOOK AT THEM KILLING EACH OTHER.

THAT IS WHAT AMERICANS DO. THEY KILL EACH OTHER.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?

AMERICANS, WOW!
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#48 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

WOW, AMERICANS ARE SOOOO DUMB! LOOK AT THEM KILLING EACH OTHER.

THAT IS WHAT AMERICANS DO. THEY KILL EACH OTHER.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?

AMERICANS, WOW!

That is not correct.

Americans are much more efficient at killing one another than other industrialized nations.

#49 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hey Squirrel, are you American?

If so, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Posted Image

#50 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Conservative mindset "Firefighters clearly need to be armed".

#51 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

I really get the feeling there could be a New Years attack.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#52 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Breaking News on CNN's homepage is some 90 year old actor dying of old age. The main story with huge pic is about life of some 1960's singer.

Telling of America's present and future.

#53 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Breaking News on CNN's homepage is some 90 year old actor dying of old age. The main story with huge pic is about life of some 1960's singer.

Telling of America's present and future.

That's Lester Chambers of the Chambers Brothers, whose biggest hit was "Time Has Come Today" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxpcZrQQM-4 and the actor is "The Odd Couple"'s Jack Klugman...and frankly these are much better stories to read than anything having to do with violence...maybe you should read the article on Lester Chambers...who finally got his due and more importantly royalties, due royalties, for the use of the song in this video. That is a touching article.
Posted Image

#54 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

That's Lester Chambers of the Chambers Brothers, whose biggest hit was "Time Has Come Today"

and the actor is "The Odd Couple"'s Jack Klugman...and frankly these are much better stories to read than anything having to do with violence...maybe you should read the article on Lester Chambers...who finally got his due and more importantly royalties, due royalties, for the use of the song in this video. That is a touching article.

Exactly my point. Guess Canada and US is not much different.

Do you care about the spiraling economic crisis in Europe?
On Tuesday, Jon Stewart on the Daily Show criticized — in typical Jon Stewart fashion — Americans and their taste for fluffy news consumption. He pointed out that the recent cover of all global editions of Time Magazine dealt with the critical issue of Europe’s debt and possible slide into recession. The American edition cover, though, featured a more light-hearted cover story about pets.
Jon Stewart actually ripped off his analysis from The Society Pages, which published the samereport in early December.
Their report showed global editions of Time focusing on issues like the Arab Spring, Burmese democracy, and climate change. In contrast, the American editions focused on both lighter and more domestic topics like Glenn Beck, marriage, and “What Makes School Great.”
The Society Pages reports: “Americans are notorious for their ignorance of global issues and international news. This may be because Americans aren’t interested or it may be that our news outlets feed us fluff and focus us only on the U.S. Probably it’s a vicious cycle.”
There is, of course, a clear parallel. Over the last week, hot trending topics have included New York Knicks star Jeremy Lin, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition cover girl Kate Upton, and Stephen Colbert.
Topics that have been marginalized have included Syria’s escalating civil war, Egypt’ssouring relations with the U.S., and the euro zone debt deal with Greece.

Americans are notorious for their ignorance of global issues and international news. This may be because Americans aren’t interested or it may be that our news outlets feed us fluff and focus us only on the U.S. Probably it’s a vicious cycle.
This month, for example, Time magazine’s cover story is about the political strife in Egypt… everywhere except the U.S. that is. Americans get “pop psychology” (via Global Sociology):
Posted Image
It turns out you can go to the Time website and compare covers from previous issues going back a long ways. Here are some more examples from the last couple years (I cherry picked just a bit):
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Dmitriy T.M. sent in these previous examples a while back.
The cover story for Newsweek magazine’s September 2006 edition was “Losing Afghanistan” in Europe, Latin America, and Asia. It was “My Life in Pictures,” a story about the photographer Annie Liebovitz in the U.S. (via):
Posted Image
The cover story for Newsweek magazine’s October 2006 edition was “Global Warming’s First Victim” in Europe, Latin America, and Asia. It was “Off Message,” a story about Republican Congressman Mark Foley’s sexually suggestive emails and IMs to teenage boys (via):
Posted Image
The cover story for Time magazine’s April 2007 edition was “Talibanistan” in Europe, Latin America, and Asia. It was “Why We Should Teach the Bible in Public Schools” in the U.S. (via, also see Time):
Posted Image

Edited by WHL rocks, 24 December 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#55 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,540 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

You do realize that the CONTENT of those magazines, regardless of their covers, is largely the same, right?
Posted Image

#56 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Man first of all, since the reason I was let go is because my Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder wouldn't allow me to do the job effectively anymore I strongly object to your inference that I am making an excuse...I don't know how to drive either, and I'm actually afraid to drive on the roads around here and around people who shouldn't be driving to start with.

let's see... how much of that information you just posted, was mentioned in my first response? none of it. All you said was how you were laid off and collecting unemployment and you couldn't find a job because of the economy. NOW you are saying it's because of PTSD that you were let go and you can't drive. Object all you want, but don't expect me to suddenly feel bad for you nor retract my statement because you held that information back when saying why you couldn't move (personally, I find it rather "fishy" that you come back with PTSD after my response... I would think that would be a KEY factor in why you can't move... at least more important then mentioning the current economy.)

The fear of driving on the roads (or other people driving roads)... I'm a little confused on. Are you saying that you are afraid of what you might do while driving... or that people in general shouldn't drive?

#57 Bieksasangryface

Bieksasangryface

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

You do realize that the CONTENT of those magazines, regardless of their covers, is largely the same, right?

But people arent as quick to buy in north america with out the fluff crap to draw thm in.

#58 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

Murders of all kinds, including murders via firearms, are down sharply over the past 25 years and continue to decline year over year. What has changed is that every time there is an incident like this, it is well-publicized and is the focus of attention. America is far safer and less afflicted by crime, especially violent crime, than at any time in recent memory. For some reason there's this feeling today that nobody should ever die, especially not violently or tragically. Not every terrible thing can be prevented. The cure in these cases is worse than the disease. Making major policy changes based on isolated incidents is a dangerous thing to do. I beg y'all, have some perspective. Reporting may be better and faster today, but that does not mean violence, war, or danger are on the rise. You have never been safer. If you live in Canada or America or western Europe today, nobody in human history has ever been safer from crime or violence than you are right now. Think about that for a minute.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#59 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

So happy to be a Canadian and living in one of the world class cities, we cant all say that, I dont even wanna vacation in the US, so many other great places to see, Vancouver is nicer than majority if not all cities in the US
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#60 Mastaj

Mastaj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Murders of all kinds, including murders via firearms, are down sharply over the past 25 years and continue to decline year over year. What has changed is that every time there is an incident like this, it is well-publicized and is the focus of attention. America is far safer and less afflicted by crime, especially violent crime, than at any time in recent memory. For some reason there's this feeling today that nobody should ever die, especially not violently or tragically. Not every terrible thing can be prevented. The cure in these cases is worse than the disease. Making major policy changes based on isolated incidents is a dangerous thing to do. I beg y'all, have some perspective. Reporting may be better and faster today, but that does not mean violence, war, or danger are on the rise. You have never been safer. If you live in Canada or America or western Europe today, nobody in human history has ever been safer from crime or violence than you are right now. Think about that for a minute.

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible argument. Just because gun violence is down, does not make these mass murders "just something to put up with". Just because we are safer now than at any other point in time, does not mean it is safe enough. Are you saying that violence will happen occasionally, but, too bad, that's the price we pay for being mostly safe???

The point about these gun killings, is that they ARE for the most part preventable, or at the very least could be made much more difficult to carry out.

You go tell the families of those firefighters that "Well, sorry your loved one got shot, but, count yourself lucky that we live in the safest time in history". Somehow, I think you would be singing a completely different tune if it was your father or brother who was one of the victims.
Go Banana!!
-Ralph Wiggum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.