The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - Columbus

To Vancouver: Derrick Brassard

To Columbus: Mason Raymond, Anton Rodin, 5th

Basically a swap of struggling players.

For Us: Brassard brings decent size, decent speed, and is a good two-way player. He can play either C or W. And since he known as a "pass-first" player he might be the solution on the 2nd line with Kes and Booth or else he can play on the third since he is reliable defensively.

For CBJ: Since CBJ got Anisimov and Dubinsky they have enough center's to fill Brassard's spot (And they also have Johansen, Prospal and Umberger who can play C) Raymond brings more speed to there line-up (Which doesn't have a ton of top notch speed), then Rodin is the sweetener who will get much better opportunities in Columbus.

For Us: Brassard brings decent size, decent speed, and is a good two-way player. He can play either C or W. And since he known as a "pass-first" player he might be the solution on the 2nd line with Kes and Booth or else he can play on the third since he is reliable defensively.

For CBJ: Since CBJ got Anisimov and Dubinsky they have enough center's to fill Brassard's spot (And they also have Johansen, Prospal and Umberger who can play C) Raymond brings more speed to there line-up (Which doesn't have a ton of top notch speed), then Rodin is the sweetener who will get much better opportunities in Columbus.

yeah whoever thinks that Brassard is this young up and coming power forward, is misled. He has struggled indeed and columbus has a glutton of centers for sure.

I would do this if we cannot pry Johansen out of CBJ (which would be a challenge). This guy's cap hit is a bit high for what he is (3.2mill) but I think if we actually want to get bigger, he would be a good guy to have.

I feel like his main draw back is motivation-what is it with these big forwards that lack motivation to be physical and drive to the net??

not to mention motivation to remain consisted-kassian, booth, brassard, a line of big an at times unmitovated players -lol

I like it. If Brassard can prove himself as a consistent playmaker who can also find the back of the net, then we have found our solution to the 2nd line. If he becomes inconsistent, like he has been in Columbus, he will still centainly be an upgrade on pahlsson. He is bigger, stronger and has more offensive upside than Pahlsson, plus has grit to go along with it.

Besides if you play him Booth and Kes, and he struggles, just put him on a line with Chris 'Duct tape' Higgins and he'll do fine!

1.) Brassard does have a lot of scoring potential, and he does have size, skating ability and flexibility in where he can play, which can be helpful as a 3rd line checker/grinder. Playing with Hansen and Higgens could result in him getting more than 14g 27a from last season.

Also, depending on the result of the assumed Luongo trade, Brassard could even find himself on the wing with Kesler and Booth.

2.) I am concerned about his +/- (okay, what can we expect with him being with the CBJ?), and also his results in the faceoff circle. Being at 45% could be as a result of his inexperience. Should it not improve, then this could cause a lot of problems as AV has liked to use his 3rd line in the defensive zone, and having Malhotra winning 61.7% and 58.5% of his faceoffs these past two seasons has been a real luxury.

3.) I would agree with eretz that Johansen looks to be the more desireable player, and I too would try to get him first and use Brassard as a fallback position.

As Playstation has pointed out, Brassard does carry an extra million (approximately) over what Raymond is paid. With this in mind, Johansen is actually paid less than Raymond, which is another reason to consider him over Brassard.

4.) I could see the CBJ raising an issue with Raymond. He has had two significant injuries (finger, back) which have had an impact on his play.

Raymond is also a UFA at the end of the season while Brassard still has one more full season before he hits RFA status (Rodin will also become an RFA at the end of this season).

I could see the CBJ wanting something a bit more than Rodin and a 5th to back the deal up should Raymond walk (maybe something as low as a conditional pick in 2014?).

Otherwise, an interesting proposal. :)

regards,

G.

Brassard is 25 and hasn't put up 20 goals or 50 points yet in his career. He doesn't have much potential, about the exact same as Raymond.

He's never gunna be the 1st liner they hoped for, maybe a true 2nd liner but not on that team, that's the whole point of this deal, two struggling players, similar ages and at similar areas in there career.

Brassard is 2 years younger, and a former 6th overall pick. To say that he has the same amount of potential as Mason Raymond, who's had 2 consecutive years of decline on the NHL's best team, is insane.

You've gotta ask yourself what other teams might give up to get a guy like Brassard. If you think that out of the entire NHL, the best offer that CBJ could get is a Vancouver forward who's hanging onto his job by a thread and a 2nd round pick who's not showing any evidence at all of being able to have an NHL future, I think you're mistaken.

If that's the case, then why do you want to trade for him?

This is typical of the proposal around this site - bash whoever you're trying to acquire, inflate the guy you're trying to trade :lol:

If you think that either Tyler Bozak or Mason Raymond would command more attention on the open market than Derick Brassard, you, sir, are the one that is in clear denial of reality. Brassard is younger and far more gifted than either of the two. He's been on a woefully hopeless team. There would be a lot of interest in Derick Brassard.

Brassard is 2 years younger, and a former 6th overall pick. To say that he has the same amount of potential as Mason Raymond, who's had 2 consecutive years of decline on the NHL's best team, is insane.

You've gotta ask yourself what other teams might give up to get a guy like Brassard. If you think that out of the entire NHL, the best offer that CBJ could get is a Vancouver forward who's hanging onto his job by a thread and a 2nd round pick who's not showing any evidence at all of being able to have an NHL future, I think you're mistaken.

Phoenix probably traded for Vermette because he's a far more appropriate deadline acquisition than Derick Brassard is.

He's a highly gifted, highly skilled offensive player, which is why he was taken 6th overall. His '08-'09 season was incredibly productive - look at his points compared to his minutes given per-game. He's established himself as a 2/3 C on a historically pathetic team, and he's only 25 years old.

My point is that there would be a lot of interest in a "reclamation" (not really) project like Brassard. A young C, with excellent offensive skills, decent size, etc. I actually like Mason Raymond, but he's simply not worth what Brassard is, with "worth" being loosely defined as team's that would likely have interest. Anton Rodin is worthless, as is the 5th. Therefore, I don't imagine that CBJ would be interested.

Archived