The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Canucks to have an exclusively owned AHL affiliate.

Bodee

Having watched the Canucks utilise the Wolves now for 2 seasons under 2 different coaches I put it to Canucks fans it is not working.

I think the Wolves are firstly too far from Vancouver. And before someone mentions other long distance affiliates I don't accept that it is an ideal situation for Vancouver.

I don't see any attempt to mirror the style of the Canucks in Chicago and quite honestly why should they? We shouldn't expect an independent AHL outfit to pander to us. They have their own fans and their own agenda and does anyone doubt any coach there will prioritise the Wolves needs over Vancouver's?

Is it any coincidence that many of the players who impress me are not in fact ours? At present it is Climie, Miller, Gordon, Shroeder, Ebbett, Davies and Longpre. Last season it was Haydar, Davies, Schroeder, Sweatt, Miller. Climie, Mancari and Buamgartner.

I think our own players are better than they are being made to look. There is something broken in this set up and it is not just the coach.

I have not enjoyed the way the Wolves have played this or last season. They seem to lack intensity and system. They "seem to me" to fall away as the game progresses and particularly at the closing of the 3rd period.

In short I think we need to get our own affiliate closer to home playing a mirror of our style and with much more intensity.

After further thought can Admin re-locate this in the Wolves section if they deem it more appropriate.

Merry Christmas to All from Scotland.

There is no doubt that having a closer AHL team would be beneficial for travel reasons (however, having one closer to the middle of the continent isn't all that bad since we're on the road half the time, and it may turn out to be closer than our home base),

Also having a team that plays the same style as us would be useful for players making the jump to the big team, for a smoother transition.

But they probably don't need to look like the mini-Canucks, like some of the other teams do (Marlies, etc). I think it's fine to have their own identity/personality.

The Abbotsford Heat are losing money yet again this year, not many around the lower mainland care about the Flames AHL team. The plug will get pulled on that franchise unless the baby 'nucks take up residence. Only time will tell but it makes sense that our farm team moves to the Abby.

The Abbotsford Heat are losing money yet again this year, not many around the lower mainland care about the Flames AHL team. The plug will get pulled on that franchise unless the baby 'nucks take up residence. Only time will tell but it makes sense that our farm team moves to the Abby.

I don't see any attempt to mirror the style of the Canucks in Chicago and quite honestly why should they? We shouldn't expect an independent AHL outfit to pander to us. They have their own fans and their own agenda and does anyone doubt any coach there will prioritise the Wolves needs over Vancouver's?

Abby signed a 10 year lease agreement that guarantees the team to at least break even, so the plug isn't going to be pulled anytime soon. Even when the Canucks farm team is in town to play the Heat it's rarely sold out. It's not so much that people don't care about a Flames AHL team, it's that Abby is too far from Vancouver for hockey fans to go to on a regular basis.

I don't like the idea of having the AHL affiliate so close to the Canucks franchise either. I don't see the young players benefiting from so much media scrutiny and attention that the Vancouver area brings.

Thanks for that Opmac.

"We're gonna pay a very aggressive style this year. Sometimes we didn't do that last year."

In that case am I the only one that doesn't see this? Quite honestly I see the Wolves intimidated by the intensity and tempo more often than not running down through all the opposition lines. I see our guys beaten on the boards and bullied when they go to the net. Are we fit? We continually tail away towards the end of the game.......lack of concentration due to fatigue......perhaps?

There is one bright lad there though (I didn't think he was ours but he is) Andrew Gordon is apparently in the system and he comes out every night and gets "stuck in" This lad (can't believe he is 27) had some amazing AHL stats with the Bears.

The next year, he scored twenty goals with Hershey and helped them win the Calder Cup. He also made his NHL debut with the Capitals, playing in one game for them. In 2009-10, he had an even better year, scoring thirty-seven goals, and the Bears won the Calder Cup for the second year in a row. He also played in two games for the Capitals

"On a side note I can't believe we don't get any Wolves games on local TV, I'd certainly watch their games (internet feeds are for shyte)."

Honestly mate, you are better off being in the dark. The performances are some of the most frustrating games you are likely to see. The defence sucks and are too soft and the attack is so disjointed. Their system is indiscernible.

Better than the are being made to look?

In the 15 or so games I have watched this season some our prospects have been outplayde fair and square by the likes of Sterling, Longpre and Matheson.

I agree that a closer affiliate would be convenient but maybe we should deal with the fact that Schroeder and Rodin just are not the second coming of Gretzky after all?

I don't think the Canucks organization themselves want their affiliate in Chicago. It is too far away and Chicago has always been one of the more independent teams, focussed on winning rather than developing. But there aren't really any other options unless they share a farm team with someone else.

Having watched the Canucks utilise the Wolves now for 2 seasons under 2 different coaches I put it to Canucks fans it is not working.

I think the Wolves are firstly too far from Vancouver. And before someone mentions other long distance affiliates I don't accept that it is an ideal situation for Vancouver.

Is it any coincidence that many of the players who impress me are not in fact ours? At present it is Climie, Miller, Gordon, Shroeder, Ebbett, Davies and Longpre. Last season it was Haydar, Davies, Schroeder, Sweatt, Miller. Climie, Mancari and Buamgartner.

I think our own players are better than they are being made to look. There is something broken in this set up and it is not just the coach.

I have not enjoyed the way the Wolves have played this or last season. They seem to lack intensity and system. They "seem to me" to fall away as the game progresses and particularly at the closing of the 3rd period.

In short I think we need to get our own affiliate closer to home playing a mirror of our style and with much more intensity.

After further thought can Admin re-locate this in the Wolves section if they deem it more appropriate.

Merry Christmas to All from Scotland.

Firstly I am not convinced about pressure on our prospects. They are supposed to be getting prepared for one of the biggest pressure sports out there.

Being able to cope with pressure (mental and physical) is perhaps one of the main factors in any SC run. At present these guys are out of sight, out of mind and for whatever reason, are just not developing.

My point about Wolves wanting to achieve their own agenda applies as much to Wolves players (who are NOT employed by the Canucks) as it does to the owners and the fans and this in turn could lead to separate agendas and lack of team solidarity.

I am in no doubt that a team populated by Canucks prospects, playing to a Canucks system in front of a Canucks biased support would do nothing but good for our progress. I would go further and say our Organisation could be accused of being less than professional if they don't focus on bringing this about.

Even in marketing terms this is a no brainer.......do you see many Wolves jerseys in Vancouver? or for that matter, many Canucks jerseys in Chicago. How many Canucks fans have access to watching their affiliate? Probably a fraction of those who would like to.

BC should be the stronghold of the Canucks at every level from Vancouver Canucks down to peewee.

One last thing, maybe Arneil and his assistants would be more aware of what was required and would be more focussed if he was not 2000 miles away.

Ask yourself this how aware would many on here be of the state of our affiliate if there had not been a lock out?

Edit:

Pressure doesn't seem to hamper Boston who's affiliate Providence Bruins is 40 miles away and their secondary affiliate, Reading Royals are 14 miles away. Kind of blows the pressure....travel thing out of the water.

Firstly I am not convinced about pressure on our prospects. They are supposed to be getting prepared for one of the biggest pressure sports out there.

Being able to cope with pressure (mental and physical) is perhaps one of the main factors in any SC run. At present these guys are out of sight, out of mind and for whatever reason, are just not developing.

My point about Wolves wanting to achieve their own agenda applies as much to Wolves players (who are NOT employed by the Canucks) as it does to the owners and the fans and this in turn could lead to separate agendas and lack of team solidarity.

I am in no doubt that a team populated by Canucks prospects, playing to a Canucks system in front of a Canucks biased support would do nothing but good for our progress. I would go further and say our Organisation could be accused of being less than professional if they don't focus on bringing this about.

Even in marketing terms this is a no brainer.......do you see many Wolves jerseys in Vancouver? or for that matter, many Canucks jerseys in Chicago. How many Canucks fans have access to watching their affiliate? Probably a fraction of those who would like to.

BC should be the stronghold of the Canucks at every level from Vancouver Canucks down to peewee.

One last thing, maybe Arneil and his assistants would be more aware of what was required and would be more focussed if he was not 2000 miles away.

Ask yourself this how aware would many on here be of the state of our affiliate if there had not been a lock out?

Edit:

Pressure doesn't seem to hamper Boston who's affiliate Providence Bruins is 40 miles away and their secondary affiliate, Reading Royals are 14 miles away. Kind of blows the pressure....travel thing out of the water.

Archived