The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Canucks to have an exclusively owned AHL affiliate.

Bodee

Abby signed a 10 year lease agreement that guarantees the team to at least break even, so the plug isn't going to be pulled anytime soon. Even when the Canucks farm team is in town to play the Heat it's rarely sold out. It's not so much that people don't care about a Flames AHL team, it's that Abby is too far from Vancouver for hockey fans to go to on a regular basis.

I don't like the idea of having the AHL affiliate so close to the Canucks franchise either. I don't see the young players benefiting from so much media scrutiny and attention that the Vancouver area brings.

With respect Baggins it is what a Canuck must learn to do. If Boston are playing in Vancouver does the same not apply. Anyway that is not imo the prime reason for an affiliate. How many times did it happen last season? Twice, 3 times maybe and I doubt the guys we called up were prospects (maybe Sweatt) . I remember Bitz, Sweatt? Duco. Mancari?

I didn't know about the 10 year lease agreement.

I live in Langley and rarely travel to Vancouver so I understand that people from Vancouver don't want to travel into the valley but...

You greatly underestimate the number of people that live in the Fraser Valley, certainly enough to make that franchise work but like I said before not many Canuck fans care about the Flames farm club. They're going to keep losing money.

On a side note I can't believe we don't get any Wolves games on local TV, I'd certainly watch their games (internet feeds are for shyte).

With respect Baggins it is what a Canuck must learn to do. If Boston are playing in Vancouver does the same not apply. Anyway that is not imo the prime reason for an affiliate. How many times did it happen last season? Twice, 3 times maybe and I doubt the guys we called up were prospects (maybe Sweatt) . I remember Bitz, Sweatt? Duco. Mancari?

Fair enough Baggins on the travel I'll concede your point.

I still am of the mind that all the other advantages to having your affiliate owned and close by would take precedent though.

I suppose I'm just frustrated at how poor we look as a unit. I watched the Marlies last night play Hamilton (I record games overnight here) and I didn't think their players were any better they just seemed to be more competitive and had more of a system. I was also struck by their average size and am now wondering if we are wrong to persevere with Schroeder, Ebbett and Friesen. That seems ironic with Ebbett one of our better players at present, and Kassian looking like he has just landed on Mars half the time.

Fair enough Baggins on the travel I'll concede your point.

I still am of the mind that all the other advantages to having your affiliate owned and close by would take precedent though.

I suppose I'm just frustrated at how poor we look as a unit. I watched the Marlies last night play Hamilton (I record games overnight here) and I didn't think their players were any better they just seemed to be more competitive and had more of a system. I was also struck by their average size and am now wondering if we are wrong to persevere with Schroeder, Ebbett and Friesen. That seems ironic with Ebbett one of our better players at present, and Kassian looking like he has just landed on Mars half the time.

Yes well if you care to look back over my earlier posts I have grumbled about the coaching......or lack of it for a while, as I did when McT was coach.

That is part of my argument though. I feel the coaching or shall we give the benefit of the doubt to both coaches and say "the taking on board" of the coaching is imo gummed up by not having affiliate exclusivity.

I suppose we could discuss this all day (it's better than punting $80 Can. on Chanel Blue.....which I have just done, on ebay :-(.......I shouldn't let myself get bored in the holidays but in all honesty I didn't think I'd win it at that price, Oh well ) but in truth it's NHL I wish we were discussing.

There weere some pretty serious rumours a couple months ago about Aquilini having negotiations with the city and the Heat to see if something could be worked out. It included the possibility of buying the building completely.

Abbotsford is really screwed on this and the taxpayers are on the hook for millions.

A Canucks farm team might not sell out, but they would certainly double the attendance figures. I live in Surrey and would buy an Ice Pack type of thing.... I have only gone to see two Heat games in total as I am not interested in watching Calgary prospects play.

Honestly, when they said our AHL team was moving from Winnipeg to Chicago I thought it was a joke. Then I realized that it was true and came to my own biased conclusion that the league truly hates us. It's a freaking conspiracy. Imagine putting the Blackhawks' farm team in Vancouver?

There weere some pretty serious rumours a couple months ago about Aquilini having negotiations with the city and the Heat to see if something could be worked out. It included the possibility of buying the building completely.

Last word on coaching.

I would like to have seen the Canucks try a guy on the move rather than Arneil, who it seems to me to have had his chance, before coming here.

A random name I suggested was Mark Morrison who did some good things with the Salmon Kings in Victoria and is now assistant at the Jets affiliate St Johns Ice Caps.

MARK MORRISON

Assistant Coach

Joining McCambridge as an assistant coach for a second season is former New York Rangers draft pick Mark Morrison. Morrison helped guide the IceCaps to a first place finish in the Atlantic Division and an appearance in the Eastern Conference Finals, where the club lost to the Norfolk Admirals, the eventual Calder Cup Champions.

Before joining the IceCaps, Morrison served as head coach and general manager of the Victoria Salmon Kings of the ECHL, where he spent four years. Prior to his time with the Salmon Kings, Morrison coached and played with the Fife Flyers of the British National League, winning Coach of the Year honours three times.

As a player, Morrison won the Adams Cup with the Central Hockey League’s Tulsa Oilers and was named Most Sportsmanlike Player in the 1980-1981 Memorial Cup. Morrison played 10 games in the NHL with the Rangers from 1981-1984.

By the way if we can't get Abbotsford why not bring a team back to Victoria?

Abby signed a 10 year lease agreement that guarantees the team to at least break even, so the plug isn't going to be pulled anytime soon. Even when the Canucks farm team is in town to play the Heat it's rarely sold out. It's not so much that people don't care about a Flames AHL team, it's that Abby is too far from Vancouver for hockey fans to go to on a regular basis.

I don't like the idea of having the AHL affiliate so close to the Canucks franchise either. I don't see the young players benefiting from so much media scrutiny and attention that the Vancouver area brings.

The Abbotsford Heat are losing money yet again this year, not many around the lower mainland care about the Flames AHL team. The plug will get pulled on that franchise unless the baby 'nucks take up residence. Only time will tell but it makes sense that our farm team moves to the Abby.

Honestly, when they said our AHL team was moving from Winnipeg to Chicago I thought it was a joke. Then I realized that it was true and came to my own biased conclusion that the league truly hates us. It's a freaking conspiracy. Imagine putting the Blackhawks' farm team in Vancouver?

I hope this is true. Having our affiliate near by and wholly owned would be a huge step. It's not even a bad business move as I'm sure a lot of folks who find an NHL ticket to be out of their price range would love to see the baby nucks near by for an affordable fee.

Boston has it right with all their system within driving distance. The Leafs have there's down the street from the ACC. Montreal has theres at least within the same time zone. Ownership should do whatever they can to move ours closer. Sheeeeet. Put it in the Pacific Coliseum and kick the Giants out if they must.

Archived