Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 4 votes

Luongo should be traded

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
127 replies to this topic

#121 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

last time i checked they had the same line up playing infront of them. limiting the chances against Lu? so you're saying they purposely gave up scoring chances to Broduer but then Lu came in and they said whoa better not give up chances he sucks? bottom line the coaching staff thought Lu gave them a better chance to win and did exactly that.

It was well documented that Broduer and Lou were playing bad at the time of the Olympics, what it came down to was who was the best of the two at the time. I think the fact that the Olympics were in Vancouver gave the nod to Lou.

#122 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

I have a problem with giving a free pass to a player who's largest question mark is his ability to work hard. For me he starts on the 4th and is told work you but off or your back in Chicago, outwork everyone and you will move up the lines.

Edit: why are we talking about this in a Lou topic?

I've been a long time fan of the Vancouver Canucks; long enough to observe certain things that have changed, such as our hate for Russians; pre-Burke, there was Bure, Larionov and others. Burke brought this mentality to the Canucks and its fans.

I would say the same manifestation of an idea has occured regarding the Kassian situation; that all players must work themselves into the lineup from the 4th line up. This idea makes absolutely no sense. The Sedins didn't start on the 4th line, not even the third. Bure neither. Sometimes, a specific player bringing a specific skill must be given the chance to practice a specific role. If there is no one in the organization willing to fight when one of the Sedin is manhandled, and Kassian is the only one willing to do the job, especially as the above mentioned being the reason why the Hodgson trade occurred in the first place, then I do not believe he ought to be prevented from having access, opportunity, and time to adjust to the position. In a sense it is the same as the situation it was with Hodgson; he was a waste of time on the third and fourth line but he could have been extremely productive at 2C with patience and support, perhaps as projected, becoming the next Captain of the Vancouver Canucks.

Not every man is created equal. One can see this in our education system too. All throughout the academic organization, kids to adults are forced to conform to a standardized, one size fits all program which in turn, makes for dropouts, lesser grades, as well, and most importantly, prevents the true creative senses of individuals from being developed, from engineering to arts, while emphasizing the development of the left brain in a world where ever advancing technologies are specifically designed to replace left hemisphere tasks.

If Kassian is the "next Bertuzzi", well groom him as the next Bertuzzi, not the next fourth liner.

If Moneyball is about getting specific players for specific positions because they fit that position in terms of production/ cost, then having Kassian on the third and fourth line is yet another waste of time as he will not develop his raw talent.

Burrows got much better than projected as an undrafted player, in part and mostly due to the fact that he has played with the Sedins for so long, learning their tendencies and adapting to their play. Not necessarily in age but in talent, one could argue that there was a mentor/ pupil essence between the Sedins and Burrows. Burrows can most likely play on any top six of any team by now. Since the Sedins are not getting any younger, I don't see any reason why Kassian should be prevented from accessing the same learning curve Burrows was given, except for the coach and his bend for favoritism and status quo.

The sooner Kassian is put on that line, the faster he becomes the next best power forward and the better he gets by playing with the Sedins.

How does this relate to Luongo? If Kassian defends the Sedins on a full-time basis, the Sedins score more as space and respect is created. The Sedins score more, Luongo shuts the door during the playoffs because the opposition becomes tentative and are faced with scoring threats, as well as the threat of retribution. As of now, the opposition is not scared.

The Canucks are a well oiled machine with all its parts perfectly functioning in unison. One part falls, the whole system falls apart. A lack of playoff scoring, a lack of timely toughness, a lack brotherhood between players, a lack of respect to whom may be the best Captain in the history of the Canucks and Linden and Naslund were no slouch, can be a massive detriment to the overall system of success the Canucks have established.

Or we can ignore all of that, focus our attention on a distraction like bringing in a rookie goaltender to lead a President's Trophy team, and ultimately, ship out he who may be the only one to a Stanley Cup, or two, this decade.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 05 January 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#123 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

It was well documented that Broduer and Lou were playing bad at the time of the Olympics, what it came down to was who was the best of the two at the time. I think the fact that the Olympics were in Vancouver gave the nod to Lou.

Any other excuses you can come up with to discredit the man? You're fishing for hate. Do you have anything negative to say regarding Luongo's birth to the World?

#124 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

last time i checked they had the same line up playing infront of them. limiting the chances against Lu? so you're saying they purposely gave up scoring chances to Broduer but then Lu came in and they said whoa better not give up chances he sucks? bottom line the coaching staff thought Lu gave them a better chance to win and did exactly that.

And using this same reasoning is why Lui is going to be traded and Cory given the chance now.

#125 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

And using this same reasoning is why Lui is going to be traded and Cory given the chance now.

You can't use reasoning on diehard Lou fans, many have tried but they have blinders on.

#126 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

You can't use reasoning on diehard Lou fans, many have tried but they have blinders on.

Schneider fans remind me of Miata fans.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#127 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Surprised to hear you say this as you've given the impression a number of times that you don't like the Garrison signing at all - but I agree with you. Garrison brings a lot of positives.
I don't agree regarding Tanev however - he may not be a big, punishing player, but he's an inch taller than Lidstrom and only 5 pounds lighter at this point - and if there's anything Lidstrom has proven, it's that you don't have to hit or punish anyone to be an elite blueliner. I'm not saying Tanev is the next Lidstrom, but I am saying that he has very good hockey intelligence, exceptional poise and lots of potential - not to mention that he was a +10 in only 25 NHL games last year. Let's give him a chance before writing him off.

Surprised to hear you say this as you've given the impression a number of times that you don't like the Garrison signing at all - but I agree with you. Garrison brings a lot of positives.
I don't agree regarding Tanev however - he may not be a big, punishing player, but he's an inch taller than Lidstrom and only 5 pounds lighter at this point - and if there's anything Lidstrom has proven, it's that you don't have to hit or punish anyone to be an elite blueliner. I'm not saying Tanev is the next Lidstrom, but I am saying that he has very good hockey intelligence, exceptional poise and lots of potential - not to mention that he was a +10 in only 25 NHL games last year. Let's give him a chance before writing him off.

I am not writing anybody off.That was not the argument but your trolling is noted.
Garrison and Tanev are both positional d men.
Neither throws his body or their knuckles.
Ballard and Bieksa can throw both,Eddy can punish with the body while Hamhuis is also a positional d man.
There has to be more of a physical presence and Garrison's height and supposed excellent position play do not give the Canucks that.

#128 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

I am not writing anybody off.That was not the argument but your trolling is noted.
Garrison and Tanev are both positional d men.
Neither throws his body or their knuckles.
Ballard and Bieksa can throw both,Eddy can punish with the body while Hamhuis is also a positional d man.
There has to be more of a physical presence and Garrison's height and supposed excellent position play do not give the Canucks that.

Totally agree. It is the only way we will win a SC imo.

I am happy to give ALL our players a chance to show they have what it takes when things get physical but time is running out for drafting pushback into this team.

It has been my opinion all along that if you have 2 diamonds like the twins the next step is putting players next to them who will ensure they are allowed to play.

Similarly in goal. When you have a goalie like Lu (or Schneider for that matter) You don't allow him to be bullied/mollested or hung out to dry.
Kevin.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.