The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you worried about the Canucks' future ?

RAMBUTANS

1.Dougie Hamilton, Boston’s first-round draft choice from 2011 (No. 9 overall)

2.Anthony Camara, another 2011 draftee (Round 3, No. 81 overall).

3.Malcolm Subban, the goalie Boston drafted in this year’s first round (24th overall).

4.Russia’s WJC entry is also worth a look, as Boston’s Alexander Khokhlachev (Round 2, No. 40 overall, 2011).

Matt Grezelyck never made the final cut.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Dougie Hamilton was secured by Boston from the Kessel trade.That is how they picked up the 9th spot in 2011.

Camara was picked up with the Phoenix pick in a trade for Derek Morris.

Goaltending is said to be Canada's weakest position but Subban has played well ,but was secured with a 24th slot.

Schroeder played in two WJC torurnaments.

Hodgson played in the WJC and U18.

Corrado made the final WJC cut this year.

Gaunce made the U18 squad and had a legitimate shot this year at WJC before he separated his shoulder.

Rodin played WJC tournament in 2010.

Andersson played for Sweden in the 2009 U18 World Juniors.

Gaunce made Canada's U18 squad.

Jensen made the Danish U18 squad and was leading scorer at the last WJC for Denmark.

1.Dougie Hamilton, Boston’s first-round draft choice from 2011 (No. 9 overall)

2.Anthony Camara, another 2011 draftee (Round 3, No. 81 overall).

3.Malcolm Subban, the goalie Boston drafted in this year’s first round (24th overall).

4.Russia’s WJC entry is also worth a look, as Boston’s Alexander Khokhlachev (Round 2, No. 40 overall, 2011).

Matt Grezelyck never made the final cut.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Dougie Hamilton was secured by Boston from the Kessel trade.That is how they picked up the 9th spot in 2011.

Camara was picked up with the Phoenix pick in a trade for Derek Morris.

Goaltending is said to be Canada's weakest position but Subban has played well ,but was secured with a 24th slot.

Schroeder played in two WJC torurnaments.

Hodgson played in the WJC and U18.

Corrado made the final WJC cut this year.

Gaunce made the U18 squad and had a legitimate shot this year at WJC before he separated his shoulder.

Rodin played WJC tournament in 2010.

Andersson played for Sweden in the 2009 U18 World Juniors.

Gaunce made Canada's U18 squad.

Jensen made the Danish U18 squad and was leading scorer at the last WJC for Denmark.

The thing that worries me, somewhat, is MG making some seemingly rookie mistakes in his asset management (young players and old). A couple of bad moves can have repercussions for years. He has made Vancouver a more desirable place for players to come play, no doubt, but seems he has also made some glaring errors along the way, possibly attributable to his lack of gm experience.

What do you think are his mistakes?

I am of the opinion he has actually, if anything, erred in acquiring better assets at the expense of assets we need to round out our lineup. Since the SCF anyway... For example Kassian will be a great forward for us for many years, but was not ready to play for us when he arrived. Consumed with the asset versus something that helped the team at the time... Same could be said for Booth, as we had a dearth of left wingers, or Garrison where we have massive depth on left D. MG is rebuilding on the fly versus building the best team!

:blink::blink::shock:

The thing that worries me, somewhat, is MG making some seemingly rookie mistakes in his asset management (young players and old). A couple of bad moves can have repercussions for years. He has made Vancouver a more desirable place for players to come play, no doubt, but seems he has also made some glaring errors along the way, possibly attributable to his lack of gm experience.

Both Boston and LA, it could be argued, spent 4 to 7 years acquiring stockpiles of good young players. They got to the point where they either did not have key room in their line up to bring them up (with us an example might have been no top 6 role for Hodgson) or would have been in cap trouble retaining them as they came off their entry level contracts. In Boston, they had no room for Kessel, so converted him into prospects which will keep the team stocked for years. In LA, were they going to be able to pay Simmonds and Schenn, then wait for them to be as useful as Richards?

The main difference is we have been a division contending team for 6 of the last seven years. We have not had the luxury of being a crappy team for years to stockpile young talent.

And also if you notice, how do Boston get premium prospects? Yes, they trade premium players for them. Did they win a Stanley Cup by doing this? Absolutely. Who has a brighter future in terms of young guns in the cupboard? Be truthful.

The mistakes have been discussed in length in another thread but the ones that stand out for me are his managment of players in general. Letting certain ones go over others, not maximizing value for assets(he may have completely bungled the best goalie duo in franchise history(time will tell)).

To say Kassian will be a great player for years to come requires a giant leap of faith. He has proven nothing.

I don't see MG building on the fly so much as trying deperately, and failing, to plug holes(Booth/Kassian/Tanev/Pahlson). The teams toughness is non existent since Torres left and the defense is a shred of what it was in 2011.

Both Boston and LA, it could be argued, spent 4 to 7 years acquiring stockpiles of good young players. They got to the point where they either did not have key room in their line up to bring them up (with us an example might have been no top 6 role for Hodgson) or would have been in cap trouble retaining them as they came off their entry level contracts. In Boston, they had no room for Kessel, so converted him into prospects which will keep the team stocked for years. In LA, were they going to be able to pay Simmonds and Schenn, then wait for them to be as useful as Richards?

The main difference is we have been a division contending team for 6 of the last seven years. We have not had the luxury of being a crappy team for years to stockpile young talent.

I like Corrado but Reinhart is at the WJC tourament because he belongs there.

“It’s a wonderful feeling to have as a coach, that when Griffin Reinhart is out on the ice ... you know he’s going to be safe, he’s going to be steady, efficient,” Spott said. “And I think the word ‘efficient’ is the one that most describes him. He just slows the game down, he keeps it simple.

“He’s never in bad defensive posture and he just understands the game at an elite level. A lot of that is bloodlines, but obviously, he’s had great coaching in Edmonton.”

Read more: http://www.edmontonj...l#ixzz2GLaFZ1jx

Guys like Corrado and Tanev will at worst be solid depth players in the NHL IMO. Add in Kassian plus NHL depth on the left side (Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Higgins, Raymond, prospect Jensen / Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, Ballard and debatably Connauton) plus in goal (Schneider, Lou and prospects Lack and Cannatta) and their are ample opportunities to make a few moves which will retain our contender status for years!!!

I assume you are speaking of the Grabner and Bernier trade for Ballard?

Ballard may still be useful to us, especially if we loose Edler. And he's not a bad player. But the trade was made not knowing we would successfully pick up Hamhuis in free agency a week later pushing him down the depth chart and he has not come up yet. It would be fair to say we should have traded him. If we sign Edler, its likely we will recover some value there? But Grabner is not really a top notch huy either; he's already been supplanted on the Island and Howden has yet to play in the NHL. The trade is not horrible.

I never liked the Hodgson trade, still don't, but it does not mean I do not believe Kassian has a strong future for us. I say at least get onto supporting our guy if your a fan?

We converted another Grabner type guy into Erhoff, who almost helped us to a cup. He was a great asset for us when we he was here!

The Booth trade will be great for us! It just requires another move, where we place a fast play making winger on the right side with him and Kesler. Even I would argue Samuelsson was a better player, but he likely would have left. He was also showing big wear and tear. He was too fragile to make our SCF run, and missed most of last year then wandered as a UFA and would have been lost. Call the Booth deal an incomplete one, but a good one. And it did leave us with a dearth of left wingers; expect a trade brining us useful parts!

Yet we had an excess of skilled, young talent and what has it become? Not only did we trade most of it away for plugs(some of which we never utilised), but we also threw in some nice draft picks for good measure.

:lol: I love the Tanev comment; and have made it many times my self. Just not so humorously... Look, Tanev was called up last year around the deadline when we were having trouble moving the puck out of our end and he helped us. He also failed as a top line stopper guy with Hamhuis in game 1. That happened because he was overwhelmed by larger top line forwards like Brown and Kopitar who hounded him like depth lines never do. Maybe he will be more someday, but I am VERY OK with him as a 3rd pair right side D guy.

See my post 96 above. I never liked the Hodgson trade but it is done!

Kassian? No he is by no stretch a guarantee as a dynamic player. But watch him in the AHL as a scout would! He has NHL size, speed, athleticism and skills; notably great hands. And he seems to be putting in the work and has shown glimpses; nearly a point a game for Buffalo's affiliate. I suppose its up to him; he might end up accepting roles like former highly revered 1st rounders such as Malhotra, Steve Bernier, Raffi Torres (5th overall) to keep himself in the NHL. But they have all had long careers after starting with expectations just like Kassian. He might have to work at the D side of the game, but unless he develops drug or attitude issues I think this is both the least and probably what we can expect of him with his abilities. I still believe he is a lock!

However some coach might use his size, just like Lucic (the forward not fighter), to offer a physical advantage for two top line skill forwards? And Kassian is faster and debatably has similar or better hockey skills. I have always dreamed of splitting the Twins; playing Booth and Kesler with Danny, and Hank and Burrows with Kassian. Those are dominating opportunities of size, speed and skill. It would not be that big a stretch to see either Booth or Kassian putting up all star results with opportunities like those? Complimentary players with size, speed and skills are needed on lines like those.

I'd also lay a friendly bet Corrado will be a lock as at least a 3rd pair depth guy in the NHL. He is (currently) exactly the 185 lb size of Tanev, shows all his puck and position savvy type skills; but is faster and has substantially more offensive upside. He is putting up two points in every 3 games for a poor team in an OHL league where Tanev did not even make it. And he will be stronger by the time he makes the NHL, he is still junior age. I say he is an NHL lock, and has top 4 potential?

You are welcome to be a pessimist. :bored:

As scottiecanuck referenced, you're making a giant leap of faith with the above. Kassian is by no means a "sure thing", unlike Cody Hodgson. Corrado's a giant question mark that didn't make Team Canada - like it or not - and Tanev I can't imagine ever amounting to more than a bottom-pairing NHL defenseman, as long as he refuses to eat.

Grabner's 32 points and -18 aren't going to make Dale Tallon lose sleep over his decision to waive him.

Bernier landed in the AHL last year and played only 32 NHL games racking up a whopping 6 points. BOOHOO!!

Likewise, Tallon isn't really missing the 15 points and -14 he put up for the Panthers.

But these guys really would have put Vancouver over the top LOLOLOLOL!!!!

You love whining about Kassian, but Howden isn't exactly lighting up the AHL with 13 points and -6 in 31 games.

Yeah, if this is Gillis' greatest miss, not much to whine about.

Archived