The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you worried about the Canucks' future ?

RAMBUTANS

Well, it has not worked out as planned. In retrospect no.

But I probably woud have made the trade at the time. Bernier was an overpaid entity who would have left anyway. He never really made it here. He is resurrecting his career as a 4th liner on a cheap contract and I would be thrilled to have him back on those terms. But I do not believe he had resolved to that role yet? Grabner was an overweight quote / unquote speedster with attitude issues. Converting that and a first into a defender with world class speed? And as noted he would have been more valuable had Hamhuis not been signed a week later.

The counter argument is Howden has not made it and Grabner??? Grabner really was like Bryant Big Country Reeves playing for the Grizzlies a dozen years or so ago. Never mind Hodgson with us. Now Grabner and Reeves are guys whose numbers were pumped up playing prime minutes when they did not have anyone better. Grabner has already been supplanted as a top line guy on the Island; and like the Grizzlies his owner is moving his team hoping to find a market willing to accept all his crappy moves.

Would you seriously rather have Keith Ballard than Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, and Quinton Howden?

Grabner's 32 points and -18 aren't going to make Dale Tallon lose sleep over his decision to waive him.

Bernier landed in the AHL last year and played only 32 NHL games racking up a whopping 6 points. BOOHOO!!

Likewise, Tallon isn't really missing the 15 points and -14 he put up for the Panthers.

But these guys really would have put Vancouver over the top LOLOLOLOL!!!!

You love whining about Kassian, but Howden isn't exactly lighting up the AHL with 13 points and -6 in 31 games.

Yeah, if this is Gillis' greatest miss, not much to whine about.

Well, it has not worked out as planned. In retrospect no.

But I probably woud have made the trade at the time. Bernier was an overpaid entity who would have left anyway. He never really made it here. He is resurrecting his career as a 4th liner on a cheap contract and I would be thrilled to have him back on those terms. But I do not believe he had resolved to that role yet? Grabner was an overweight quote / unquote speedster with attitude issues. Converting that and a first into a defender with world class speed? And as noted he would have been more valuable had Hamhuis not been signed a week later.

The counter argument is Howden has not made it and Grabner??? Grabner really was like Bryant Big Country Reeves playing for the Grizzlies a dozen years or so ago. Never mind Hodgson with us. Now Grabner and Reeves are guys whose numbers were pumped up playing prime minutes when they did not have anyone better. Grabner has already been supplanted as a top line guy on the Island; and like the Grizzlies his owner is moving his team hoping to find a market willing to accept all his crappy moves.

What are you talking about?

Gillis has been in Vancouver for four years.

He still has Schroeder, Jensen and Gaunce - and all his future first round picks.

He traded Hodgson for another first round pick.

Try looking at the context in which he acquired Ballard.

Mitchell was severely concussed and his future was very uncertain.

Hamhuis has not yet been signed.

Ballard made a lot of sense - and if you want to talk about injury, his two seasons in Vancouver have not been fortune-ridden.

The Sedin's, Burrows, formerly Salo and Bieksa were all signed as UFA's.

What are u referring to??? :sick:

This is my beef with MG, he lacks vision. He didnt have the vision of LAs Gm where Mitchell was key to their cup. He didnt realize that the asst Gm was just pulling his leg and Ballard is an overpaid, seldom used Dman.

Before you bring up the Canucks are doing good lately, let me remind you that all players that are a key part of this are not his doing: Sedins, Burr, Kes, Salo, Bieksa, etc. ill give him Hamhuis though and Erhoff but he messed up with the latter though.

Losing W Mitchell was a huge mistake. Since when does a team giver up on a shutdown hometown Defensive stud because of an injury? Didn't stop Mayray and Manny from soldiering on. LA sure didn't think it was a big risk. Some people here say we had to let Mitchell go to make room for Hamhuis I say BS. Mitchell>>>Ballard/Tanev/Rome/Bieksa/Hamhuis.

Losing W Mitchell was a huge mistake. Since when does a team giver up on a shutdown hometown Defensive stud because of an injury? Didn't stop Mayray and Manny from soldiering on. LA sure didn't think it was a big risk. Some people here say we had to let Mitchell go to make room for Hamhuis I say BS. Mitchell>>>Ballard/Tanev/Rome/Bieksa/Hamhuis.

I am saying that Ballard has not been utilised properly and AV has not given him a fair shake. This leads me to state that trading Bernier , Grabner and a 1st round pick for him and Oreo was a complete waste of assets.

Can you explain the context to which you are referring?

The fact is Willie Mitchell was a canucks nightmare when he was with the Wild, then we somehow landed him, then he got injured and we "let him go" "gave up on him" "didn't offer enough money" whatever. It was a mistake. A big one.

So the canucks were contending and LA was not? How does a non contending team beat out a contender and go on towin the cup?

Hint: Willie Mitchell is part of the answer. Having the brains to realize your coaching staff has become stagnant and redundant is another part.

Archived