Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Are you worried about the Canucks' future ?

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#31 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Shut the troll who has more posts than you because his opinion is that the Canucks has lesser skilled prospects than any of the teams in their division? Are you the NRA or from communist China?

Prove me wrong then, prove that any of the NW division team pool of prospects are inferior to us. OK, that's right. Go sit down.

gee I sure do wish we tanked the past five seasons like edmonton their games are sure fun to watch. Certainly does suck being a fan of a team with a commitment to winning. give your head a shake bozo

#32 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Ask Detroit how they were able to get the Datsyuk, Zetterbergs and others while winning Stanley Cups.

My bad,

I was unaware the NW division included the Red Wings now.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#33 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Yep. We have not prepared for life beyond the current roster. It's going to be ugly, and for many years.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#34 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Jensen, Corrado, and Gaunce will be stars.
In NHL13, Gaunce is always drafted in the top 5... is that a sign? :bigblush:
I think Kassian is playing well cause he's being physical and still putting up points.
I thought Schroeder & Mallet would be putting up more points, and that Lack would be more consistent.
The Ballard trade for the 1st round pick wasn't very good. We barely play him, Oreskovich just wasnt good, and we could've gotten Quinton Howden (who had 65 points in 52 games).
Hopefully Kassian's gonna live up to what everyone hopes he can be so that he can show that the Hodgson trade was worth it.
Shouldnt have traded Grabner & given him more of a chance cause look at him now!
Trade Luongo for a high-mid first round pick & draft a big scorer.

Yes, lets look at him now. He had a good first year in NY but last year his stats dropped big and he went from a team high +18 in his first year to -18 last season. He's also getting first line minutes in NY so his stats aren't that impressive. His stats should be getting better, not worse.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#35 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

It could easily be argued that Gillis has been hard at doing exactly that, just without telling the public?

No question MG traded Samuelsson and Hodgson for the best assets he thought he could get, instead of players who could help us win now!

As we have lost key pieces Malhotra (effectively), Torres, Erhoff, were poised to loose Samuelsson, wanted to move Hodgson and appear will also loose Edler, Lou and Raymond; I believe MG did not believe he could hold it all together. He over paid Lou, and collected guys like LW Booth and now LD Garrison (even though we are strong at both positions) hopefully so we could make successive moves that re-build the balance we once had!

How else do you explain trading CoHo for a non roster player???

Gillis needs to make a hard decision to keep the core, or look at doing a Flyers type on the fly rebuild.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 26 December 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#36 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

I personally think that the canucks have made some great moves (higgins,lapierre) and some poor moves (letting torres go, and ballard) I think Kassian deserves one more chance. However i think gillis really knows what he is doing after all he did win gm of the year once, and living in MTL u realize how bad a gm really is when u go through bob gainey and pierre the retard gauthier (who is now in chicago), u also have no idea how much better vigneault is then Jaques dumb ass Martin. So i dont see anything to complain about I think this team is a cup contender and will always be one as long as gillis and av are here.

#37 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

I don't see any reason to believe that the Sedins should decline sharply they play a sustainable style of hockey that has allowed them to have great ironman streaks. They have never been the fastest players on the ice or hitters I don't see why they wouldn't be able to be effective well into their late thirties. I don't believe our window is closing as quickly as some alamist's. We have some great potential 2nd and third liners in our system coming up so I don't believe we have seen the best team the Canucks will ice in the Sedin era yet.

Agree with the part about the Sedins. Now who are those prospects that have "great potential"?

It could easily be argued that Gillis has been hard at doing exactly that, just without telling the public?

No question MG traded Samuelsson and Hodgson for the best assets he thought he could get, instead of players who could help us win now!

As we have lost key pieces Malhotra (effectively), Torres, Erhoff, were poised to loose Samuelsson, wanted to move Hodgson and appear will also loose Edler, Lou and Raymond; I believe MG did not believe he could hold it all together. He over paid Lou, and collected guys like LW Booth and now LD Garrison (even though we are strong at both positions) hopefully so we could make successive moves that re-build the balance we once had!

How else do you explain trading CoHo for a non roster player???

Please look up what "loose" means.
Posted Image

#38 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

Bro are you frickin kidding me vancouver is in top 5 of league every yr and are trying to win the cup. Are u trying to say are only prospects are honzik and labate thats retarded. Are you in elementary school or handicapped.
heres a list of Canucks prospects that are decent.
1. kassian in 2 yrs might be bertuziesque
2. schroeder is small but not to bad similar comparisons to parise , maybe he will get a call up this yr and we'll find out
i wish mg would pick bigger players but Jordan might end up being ok.
3. Connauton has a nice shot could be a pp qb still to early to tell canucks have a good team but this yr we might have a few call ups to see how these players are in nhl
4. Corrado a 150 overal steal of a pick hes a stud big 6'2 208 solid 2-way dman my fav prospect on our team.
5. Gaunce is injured but is big and could be a good 3rd line centre plus has familiy in nhl
6. Sauve hes been our best dman on wolves this yr and he was solid in his games on canu ks 2 yrs ago look for him getting a call up if theres a season this yr.
7. Lack one of top 5 goalies in ahl last yr he will be a starter in nhl in 2 yrs nice to have 3 really good nhl calibre goalies on team. when bobby luo is traded we might get a 1st rounder and more prospects.

Canucks have never finish at bottom of league for yrs, of course oilers are gonna have top notch prospects they will be lucky to make playoffs this yr if theres a season. They still dont have a great goalie and there defense is still crap.
Everyone is loving Schultz in ahl but nhl is 5 times faster,stronger. Hes only 170 pounds he will get crushed in nhl soo ya look for oilers to get another top6 pick next draft or at least top 12. Edmonton will be a scary team in 4 yrs when all these young guns are entering their prime. At that point tho who knows if coilers will be able to afford all their contracts at that point. :bigblush: hopefully vancouver can steal a few of them at that point.

Edited by canuktravella, 27 December 2012 - 04:06 AM.

#39 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

So, out of 30 teams, Canucks are the one and only team that doesn't have any prospect in the World Juniors.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#40 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

So, out of 30 teams, Canucks are the one and only team that doesn't have any prospect in the World Juniors.

forget that corrado was robbed of his spot, gaunce had a significant injury this season and the danes were ousted from the top tier last year

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#41 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

forget that corrado was robbed of his spot, gaunce had a significant injury this season and the danes were ousted from the top tier last year

Other teams can say the same, for example, Murray is injured, if he's not. That extra D spot is unavailable. The simple fact is that this year, out 30 teams, it's only the Canucks who doesn't have prospects in the World Jr. It's totally acceptable if they have been Cup champs for any of the past several years, unfortunately they're not. How come LA, Boston and Chicago have prospects there?

#42 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Another complete lie. Name an avalanche prospect in the WJC. I bet you can't.

Do some research before you post.

Stop trolling.

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#43 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Another complete lie. Name an avalanche prospect in the WJC. I bet you can't.

Do some research before you post.

Stop trolling.

Ok. 2 out of 30. That makes you feel better? Colorado has still better prospects than Canucks. Not to mention, their young leader Landeskog.

Edited by Mr. Reputable, 27 December 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#44 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

COilers have a crapload of premium prospects. Phlegms have Basrtschi and that American, Minny has Granlund and Coyle, Colorado has someone. The Canucks have nothing except Honzik and Labate.

Should get a top 5 pick in this year's draw and also trade Luo for a 1st rounder as well Ballard for NYIs 3rd and Grabner. Finally, try to get back Hodgson for Kassian, if possible.

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or just a huge idiot
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#45 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Ok. 2 out of 30. That makes you feel better? Colorado has still better prospects than Canucks. Not to mention, their young leader Landeskog.

Most fans on this site don't enjoy being served the cold, hard truth, whether that's about Hodgson/Kassian, Justin Schultz, the weak prospect pool, etc. You're deemed a "troll" for bringing up a very valid point, that the Canucks have nobody in the WJC's, and that whether that should be cause for concern for the future. The "we're the best team" argument doesn't fly, as I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Boston has 5 prospects partaking in the tourney, ranking at the very top of the league.

#46 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Landeskog?

And you'd still be here crying like a little girl had the Canucks been at the bottom of the barrel and far from competitive. Because that's ultimately how the Avs got him.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 27 December 2012 - 02:04 PM.

Posted Image

#47 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Most fans on this site don't enjoy being served the cold, hard truth, whether that's about Hodgson/Kassian, Justin Schultz, the weak prospect pool, etc. You're deemed a "troll" for bringing up a very valid point, that the Canucks have nobody in the WJC's, and that whether that should be cause for concern for the future. The "we're the best team" argument doesn't fly, as I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Boston has 5 prospects partaking in the tourney, ranking at the very top of the league.

Correct, but they're not alone. There are 7 teams with 5 prospects. St Louis, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, Columbus, Florida, Calgary and yes, Boston.

And for the record Vancouver and Colorado are the only 2 teams without prospects in the tournament.

Note that I'm not taking sides, I'm just a facts distributor.

#48 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

The fact that the Canucks have no prospects in the WJ's has nothing to do with the number of prospects that they have. They may not have the most high end prospects, but they still do have some promising ones (do I really have to name them?). Honestly, everyone should stop complaining about Schultz, he made his decision and it is not the Canucks managements fault. Hodgson and Kassian are 2 VERY different players and in my opinion Kassian fits the Canucks better than Hodgson. Just my opinion. Also, what's with Canucks fans and being as negative as possible?
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#49 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

In the next 5 or 10 years, barring something completely amazing, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us drop among the bottom of the barrel in the West for a few seasons. Sure we have some good prospects, but even if they all reach their potential, we won't exactly be a powerhouse.
It happens to pretty much every team after their window closes, and sure, it might be a few tough seasons, but it will give us time to restock our prospect pool and get another solid roster in the following years.
Posted Image

#50 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

In the next 5 or 10 years, barring something completely amazing, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us drop among the bottom of the barrel in the West for a few seasons. Sure we have some good prospects, but even if they all reach their potential, we won't exactly be a powerhouse.
It happens to pretty much every team after their window closes, and sure, it might be a few tough seasons, but it will give us time to restock our prospect pool and get another solid roster in the following years.

Yup, that's what happens to every team (except the Red Wings :lol:)
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#51 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'm not worried about something you can't predict.

Subbancopy.jpg

#52 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Ask Detroit how they were able to get the Datsyuk, Zetterbergs and others while winning Stanley Cups.

Ask the Canucks how they got that Lack guy, or what's his name, uh, Tanev, and that nobody named Burrows...

#53 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Very touching. King has found a friend here. You may want to meet for coffee in the "Luongo should be traded" thread.

If the WJC is such a determinant, then apparently we have one of the greatest prospects of all time!

Edited by oldnews, 27 December 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#54 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Jensen and Corrado are two guys that we really should be excited for. Jensen has excelled/done very well in each league making his way here.
Posted Image

#55 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yes very much. Canucks are a pretty old team and Jensen is the only exciting skater prospect right now. That's the other reason why the Grabner trade shocked me. Not only did the team give up on Grabner they traded away a first rounder.

I'd love to see that excitement again that a young Linden/Bure brought to the franchise.

#56 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Yes very much. Canucks are a pretty old team and Jensen is the only exciting skater prospect right now. That's the other reason why the Grabner trade shocked me. Not only did the team give up on Grabner they traded away a first rounder.

I'd love to see that excitement again that a young Linden/Bure brought to the franchise.

We had one of them...

...but then he was traded for Zack Kassian.

#57 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

A clue to CDCers: if a thread is complaining about the Canucks' past decisions or worrying about the future, it is only worth responding to if it was not created by Mr Reputable, King of the ES or nuck nit. These three are likely high schoolers with little else to do and so create the same threads with the same messages over and over. Save yourselves and resist temptation to respond to their nonsense.

#58 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

We had one of them...

...but then he was traded for Zack Kassian.

Congratulations King - you just resurrected one of the worst comparisons in Canuck's history.

Apologies for resorting to facts, but by the time Linden was Hodgson's age, he already had:

Three 30 goal seasons, including a 30 goal rookie season at 18 years of age in which he was team MVP and runner up to Brian Leetch as rookie of the year in the NHL.
Scored over 250 points in the NHL.
Was the youngest player in the NHL allstar game at 21 years of age.
Had already been named Captain of the Canucks.

Bure tied the Canucks rookie scoring record at age 20, and then went on to score 60 goals as a 21 year old, and another 60 as a 22 year old.

Hodgson...(22 years old, with a 19 goal, 22 assist season under his belt)...definitely comparable, muahahaha

#59 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Do we really need a topic on this every day? It's obvious by now that the Canucks' future isn't that bright. No need to reiterate the same topic over and over.

#60 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Congratulations King - you just resurrected one of the worst comparisons in Canuck's history.

Apologies for resorting to facts, but by the time Linden was Hodgson's age, he already had:

Three 30 goal seasons, including a 30 goal rookie season at 18 years of age in which he was team MVP and runner up to Brian Leetch as rookie of the year in the NHL.
Scored over 250 points in the NHL.
Was the youngest player in the NHL allstar game at 21 years of age.
Had already been named Captain of the Canucks.

Bure tied the Canucks rookie scoring record at age 20, and then went on to score 60 goals as a 21 year old, and another 60 as a 22 year old.

Hodgson...(22 years old, with a 19 goal, 22 assist season under his belt)...definitely comparable, muahahaha

You're right in that they're not comparable. My reference to "Linden/Bure" was the fact that they were franchise players, something that I think Cody's in the mold of (popular sentiment around this site, as well, until, of course, he was traded). A lot of people referred to Cody as "The Next Linden" of this organization, which was my point. I'm not comparing their production.

You do bring up a very interesting thought, though. Where would we be if Cody did make the team in '08? I recall him being pretty close to accomplishing that. That event taking place would've seriously altered this team's course. 2008 basically marked the emergence of both Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows. Interesting to think of what may have happened had Hodgson been on the team from the start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.