Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Are you worried about the Canucks' future ?

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#61 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

A clue to CDCers: if a thread is complaining about the Canucks' past decisions or worrying about the future, it is only worth responding to if it was not created by Mr Reputable, King of the ES or nuck nit. These three are likely high schoolers with little else to do and so create the same threads with the same messages over and over. Save yourselves and resist temptation to respond to their nonsense.

Nateb,you are so cutting in an incorrect way.
The only time I make a topic is if it is factual,based on something with meaning.
Save yourself the temptation to pretend to be smart or a backhander and stick to basics,like truth and reality.
I would say the only reason you create your direct hate posts is you are having some problems responding.
That is good,because at least here on CDC, posters such as myself will actually challenge you when you are immature,ignorant and spiteful.
Use your God given brain and stop complaining about your lack of understanding.

#62 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

The only time I make a topic is if it is factual,based on something with meaning.
Save yourself the temptation to pretend to be smart or a backhander and stick to basics,like truth and reality.
I would say the only reason you create your direct hate posts is you are having some problems responding.
That is good,because at least here on CDC, posters such as myself will actually challenge you when you are immature,ignorant and spiteful.

-NateB thought that the Rangers acquired Rick Nash by way of free agency
-NateB thought that Justin Schultz's point totals were "padded" by having very few goals and a ton of assists

NateB is pretty clearly an amateur.

#63 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,215 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

You're right in that they're not comparable. My reference to "Linden/Bure" was the fact that they were franchise players, something that I think Cody's in the mold of (popular sentiment around this site, as well, until, of course, he was traded). A lot of people referred to Cody as "The Next Linden" of this organization, which was my point. I'm not comparing their production.

You do bring up a very interesting thought, though. Where would we be if Cody did make the team in '08? I recall him being pretty close to accomplishing that. That event taking place would've seriously altered this team's course. 2008 basically marked the emergence of both Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows. Interesting to think of what may have happened had Hodgson been on the team from the start.

One question that's irked me since game 7 is, what if Hodgson played in that game? He's played on the big stage before and I think that expierence would've been a great thing for him.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#64 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

You're right in that they're not comparable. My reference to "Linden/Bure" was the fact that they were franchise players, something that I think Cody's in the mold of (popular sentiment around this site, as well, until, of course, he was traded). A lot of people referred to Cody as "The Next Linden" of this organization, which was my point. I'm not comparing their production.

You do bring up a very interesting thought, though. Where would we be if Cody did make the team in '08? I recall him being pretty close to accomplishing that. That event taking place would've seriously altered this team's course. 2008 basically marked the emergence of both Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows. Interesting to think of what may have happened had Hodgson been on the team from the start.

They were franchise players - and they'd proven as much by age 21 - Linden = captain, allstar, repeat 30 goal scorer etc, Bure = 60 goal scorer.

If Hodgson had made the team in '08 he would have been a good young player who was in way over his head - who, like Kesler and Burrows, would have needed 3 or 4 years to truly develop. Burrows was in his fourth season - as a 27 year old, before really breaking out. Likewise, Kesler was 24 years old in 2008, and had worked hard for seasons. These aren't criticisms of Kesler, Burrows or Hodgson - it's just the reality that extremely few players are like Linden or Bure. Perhaps one player in the world every couple years shows that kind of immediate impact - Steven Stamkos can be considered in their class - but who else in today's NHL?

I am always a little dumbfounded as to why Canucks fans need to harken back to Linden and Bure.
In the interim, the Canucks have homegrown a pair of Hart winners, a Selke, the NHL's best diamond in the rough in Burrows, an emerging Allstar and potential future Norris candidate in Edler, and a top pairing blueliner selected 151st overall. Not exactly a drought.
And they might want to give prospects like Jensen a game or two before hitting the panic button.
Ironically, the OP brought up Detroit - like Vancouver, a fairly sound example that marquis NHLers don't necessarily need to come from Craig Button's or Bob McKenzie's top 30.

#65 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

So, out of 30 teams, Canucks are the one and only team that doesn't have any prospect in the World Juniors.

Out of all the Canadian teams,no other Canadian team have positioned themselves as well in the regular season and thus,the playoffs.
I am not going to make the effort for your rant but I would bet money on the overwhelming majority of these WJ players being draft picks.
So,enjoy the World Juniors.It is not the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Canadian teams that have made the Stanley Cup playoffs:
2012:
VANCOUVER 1st in the West and 1st in the NHL.
Ottawa-eight and last in the East.
2011:
VANCOUVER-1st in the West and 1st in the NHL
No other Canadian teams in the East or West made the playoffs.
2010:
Vancouver were the NW Divisional Champions and finished 3rd in the Western Conference.
Montreal finished last in the Eastern Conference.
2009:
Again,VANCOUVER were the NW Divisional Champions and finished 3rd in the Western Conference.
Again ,Montreal finished last in the Eastern Conference.

I hope Mr. Reputable reads the pathetic part that follows:

It’s truly pathetic. Two Canadian teams finished in the bottom five, out of 30, three years in a row. The worst indignity – the Montreal Canadiens, Les Glorieux, ended this season in third-last place.
No Canadian-based team has won the Stanley Cup since Montreal won in 1993.
Then there are the Toronto Maple Leafs – the only team in the NHL not to make the playoffs even once since the lockout of 2004-05. Every season a lost season.
http://m.theglobeand...?service=mobile

#66 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

more trolling fail are you a fan or not????? a real fan would not attack their own team.....go join the flames and their losing franchise!

I gladly shipped you to Alberta and join the crappy Flames!............two fail troll threads

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 27 December 2012 - 07:49 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#67 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,215 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Out of all the Canadian teams,no other Canadian team have positioned themselves as well in the regular season and thus,the playoffs.
I am not going to make the effort for your rant but I would bet money on the overwhelming majority of these WJ players being draft picks.
So,enjoy the World Juniors.It is not the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Canadian teams that have made the Stanley Cup playoffs:
2012:
VANCOUVER 1st in the West and 1st in the NHL.
Ottawa-eight and last in the East.
2011:
VANCOUVER-1st in the West and 1st in the NHL
No other Canadian teams in the East or West made the playoffs.
2010:
Vancouver were the NW Divisional Champions and finished 3rd in the Western Conference.
Montreal finished last in the Eastern Conference.
2009:
Again,VANCOUVER were the NW Divisional Champions and finished 3rd in the Western Conference.
Again ,Montreal finished last in the Eastern Conference.

I hope Mr. Reputable reads the pathetic part that follows:

Its truly pathetic. Two Canadian teams finished in the bottom five, out of 30, three years in a row. The worst indignity the Montreal Canadiens, Les Glorieux, ended this season in third-last place.
No Canadian-based team has won the Stanley Cup since Montreal won in 1993.
Then there are the Toronto Maple Leafs the only team in the NHL not to make the playoffs even once since the lockout of 2004-05. Every season a lost season.
http://m.theglobeand...?service=mobile

Montreal also made the playoffs in 2011.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#68 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

For all your reporting of other people's posts, how many have actually been deleted? My count thus far is none which implies that calling a spade a spade without succumbing to vulgarity is perfectly acceptable. Meanwhile how many banned accounts were under the ownership of you and your two virtual mates? It would seem that the admins have far more issue with your consistent trolling and immaturity than my honesty.

Edited by nateb123, 27 December 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#69 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

You'll be waiting a long time.

Meh, only 2 or 3 years. 4 max.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#70 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

For all your reporting of other people's posts, how many have actually been deleted? My count thus far is none which implies that calling a spade a spade without succumbing to vulgarity is perfectly acceptable. Meanwhile how many banned accounts were under the ownership of you and your two virtual mates? It would seem that the admins have far more issue with your consistent trolling and immaturity than my honesty.

I recall having reported two posts in the years I have been here.Both were of the lewd variety.
I have no idea if said two were deleted.Who cares?
I have no virtual mates and I have no idea what that means but you make it sound like it is supplemental excitement.Is it?
If the admins have a problem they tell me.They do their jobs well.
Until your next post that irks me into yet another response,
Faithfully yours.

#71 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

We're in trouble after about 5 years once the Sedins are done. Kesler will most likely retire around the same time as the Sedins due to his physical deterioration and the twins' excellent conditioning, leaving us with Gaunce and Schroeder as our only real centers.

Canuck management are going to have to find centers or draft them heavily because after losing Hodgson, we really lack a premium centerman and it'll be hard to replace two of the best this franchise has ever seen.

Also, if we lose Edler this team is finished. We have Tanev and Connautan coming up on defence and they are far from super stars (unlike Edler who is soon to break into the top-10 if not higher). Once Bieksa and Hamhuis retire in about 5 years we're in big trouble, and because we rarely draft defencemen now we'll have to look into free agency to fix that huge hole.

In goal we seem to be set for a while. Schneider should have a decent 5 years and we have Lack and Climie playing reasonably well (although nowhere near as good as Lu-Schneids) so that won't be our biggest problem.

So yes, the Canucks are screwed. All we have going for us in the future are Jensen, Hansen, Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev and Schneider, and these guys hardly compare with the likes of Eberle, Schultz, RNH, Hall, Granlund, Baertschi etc. Hopefully our goaltending will be good enough to carry us in about 5 years, because it's the one thing we'll have over our division rivals.
Posted Image

#73 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

Other teams can say the same, for example, Murray is injured, if he's not. That extra D spot is unavailable. The simple fact is that this year, out 30 teams, it's only the Canucks who doesn't have prospects in the World Jr. It's totally acceptable if they have been Cup champs for any of the past several years, unfortunately they're not. How come LA, Boston and Chicago have prospects there?

Corrado was better than Reinhart and Wotherspoon, even with Murray he deserved to be there ahead of those two, and even Murphy.

Why does Boston? They got a high pick from Toronto.
Why does LA? They were a mediocre team, that drafted in the top 20 aside from this year.
Why does Chicago? Same thing, they have been drafting in the top 20, and were lucky enough last year to have Taravienen fall to them.

Once the Canucks start drafting in the top 20, instead of the bottom 5. Then you will see more of our prospects in it. But either way 2 of our prospects are WJ worthy and Gaunce is right there on the bubble if there wasn't a lockout, so this stat really isn't as bad as it seems at first glance.

Edit: And you don't think it is acceptable for a team that has drafted in the bottom 5 for the last 3 Years? And has traded away alot of picks in rounds 2-4 and even a 1st aswell, I'm not that worried.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 28 December 2012 - 12:41 AM.

zackass.png

#74 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

We're in trouble after about 5 years once the Sedins are done. Kesler will most likely retire around the same time as the Sedins due to his physical deterioration and the twins' excellent conditioning, leaving us with Gaunce and Schroeder as our only real centers.

Canuck management are going to have to find centers or draft them heavily because after losing Hodgson, we really lack a premium centerman and it'll be hard to replace two of the best this franchise has ever seen.

Also, if we lose Edler this team is finished. We have Tanev and Connautan coming up on defence and they are far from super stars (unlike Edler who is soon to break into the top-10 if not higher). Once Bieksa and Hamhuis retire in about 5 years we're in big trouble, and because we rarely draft defencemen now we'll have to look into free agency to fix that huge hole.

In goal we seem to be set for a while. Schneider should have a decent 5 years and we have Lack and Climie playing reasonably well (although nowhere near as good as Lu-Schneids) so that won't be our biggest problem.

So yes, the Canucks are screwed. All we have going for us in the future are Jensen, Hansen, Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev and Schneider, and these guys hardly compare with the likes of Eberle, Schultz, RNH, Hall, Granlund, Baertschi etc. Hopefully our goaltending will be good enough to carry us in about 5 years, because it's the one thing we'll have over our division rivals.

It's not really fair to say we are screwed in 5 years, there are so many variables and opportunties that can emerge as time goes by we just never know what could happen.

as for your concerns at center and on the blueline. I sort of am hoping if we make a deal with Toronto that Kadri is in the deal, he could fill that spot left by Hodgson. Schroeder has the skill and work ethic to be a 2nd line center, and that's what I am hoping for, so he should be a productive center, then if Gaunce doesn't develop into the 2nd line center that we hope he will be, he will be a solid 3rd liner. (Although it is way too early to say that, I still think there is a great chance he can be a top 6 guy aswell, similar to Brooks Laich) So we have 2 of our own guys that could be solid 2nd liners, hopefully we can pick up Nazem or else if not there are always players that come through free agency.

On the blue line we don't seem to have that stud but Corrado should be a very good player for us, Tanev and Connaution could be mid pairing defensemen, so depth wise we aren't bad it is just a matter of re-signing Edler so he can be our main guy going forward, but again we never know what possibilites could come through the free agent market, and as an example I am sure no won could have seen us picking up Hamhuis 5 years ago.

Other than our goaltending is solid, that is the one area we have a big advantage over everyone else in our division and we do have some wingers that look to have bright future's in Kassian and Jensen, and with this upcoming draft being especially deep I am hoping we can pick up a few more guys who can become good players for us in the future.

zackass.png

#75 Pacificgem

Pacificgem

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

If the Sedins decide they've had enough of the NHL and return to Sweden at the end of their current contracts, which I don't think they will, the Canucks are screwed!

#76 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

So the Canucks won't be drafting or making trades for picks/prospects for 4 or 5 years? The Canucks won''t be great forever and will need to re-build, but it's not like other teams don't face the same situations. I'm sure the Canucks will one day miss the playoffs and gain a top end draft picks, and build around other great players!
:towel:

#77 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

Corrado was better than Reinhart and Wotherspoon, even with Murray he deserved to be there ahead of those two, and even Murphy.

Cue the "it's a conspiracy against the Canucks" argument.

Once the Canucks start drafting in the top 20, instead of the bottom 5. Then you will see more of our prospects in it. But either way 2 of our prospects are WJ worthy and Gaunce is right there on the bubble if there wasn't a lockout, so this stat really isn't as bad as it seems at first glance.

Edit: And you don't think it is acceptable for a team that has drafted in the bottom 5 for the last 3 Years? And has traded away alot of picks in rounds 2-4 and even a 1st aswell, I'm not that worried.

If that's the case, why does Boston have 5 prospects in the WJC?

#78 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

I like Corrado but Reinhart is at the WJC tourament because he belongs there.

“It’s a wonderful feeling to have as a coach, that when Griffin Reinhart is out on the ice ... you know he’s going to be safe, he’s going to be steady, efficient,” Spott said. “And I think the word ‘efficient’ is the one that most describes him. He just slows the game down, he keeps it simple.
“He’s never in bad defensive posture and he just understands the game at an elite level. A lot of that is bloodlines, but obviously, he’s had great coaching in Edmonton.”

Read more: http://www.edmontonj...l#ixzz2GLaFZ1jx

Edited by nuck nit, 28 December 2012 - 04:59 AM.

#79 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Cue the "it's a conspiracy against the Canucks" argument.

Boston did get those picks from Toronto which gave them Hamilton. And they also didn't trade as many 2nd/4th round picks as we did.

And it isn't a conspircy against us, it was just a descision to go with more size I guess which hasn't paid off judging by how terrible the defense has been, they made that descision and paid for it, nothing to do with the canucks.

zackass.png

#80 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

I like Corrado but Reinhart is at the WJC tourament because he belongs there.

Reinhart hasn't been impressive at all, Corrado out played him in camp, has been playing better than him all year and Reinhart hasn't looked very good in this WJ so far.

zackass.png

#81 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

1.Dougie Hamilton, Boston’s first-round draft choice from 2011 (No. 9 overall)

2.Anthony Camara, another 2011 draftee (Round 3, No. 81 overall).

3.Malcolm Subban, the goalie Boston drafted in this year’s first round (24th overall).

4.Russia’s WJC entry is also worth a look, as Boston’s Alexander Khokhlachev (Round 2, No. 40 overall, 2011).

Matt Grezelyck never made the final cut.
******************************************************************************************************************************************

Dougie Hamilton was secured by Boston from the Kessel trade.That is how they picked up the 9th spot in 2011.

Camara was picked up with the Phoenix pick in a trade for Derek Morris.

Goaltending is said to be Canada's weakest position but Subban has played well ,but was secured with a 24th slot.

Schroeder played in two WJC torurnaments.
Hodgson played in the WJC and U18.
Corrado made the final WJC cut this year.
Gaunce made the U18 squad and had a legitimate shot this year at WJC before he separated his shoulder.
Rodin played WJC tournament in 2010.
Andersson played for Sweden in the 2009 U18 World Juniors.
Gaunce made Canada's U18 squad.
Jensen made the Danish U18 squad and was leading scorer at the last WJC for Denmark.

#82 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

Reinhart hasn't been impressive at all, Corrado out played him in camp, has been playing better than him all year and Reinhart hasn't looked very good in this WJ so far.

There are reasons you and I did not pick the squad this year.

#83 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

There are reasons you and I did not pick the squad this year.

Yeah and the defense seems to be great so far.....

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 28 December 2012 - 06:25 AM.

zackass.png

#84 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

3.Malcolm Subban, the goalie Boston drafted in this year’s first round (24th overall).

4.Russia’s WJC entry is also worth a look, as Boston’s Alexander Khokhlachev (Round 2, No. 40 overall, 2011).

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Dougie Hamilton was secured by Boston from the Kessel trade.That is how they picked up the 9th spot in 2011.

Goaltending is said to be Canada's weakest position but Subban has played well ,but was secured with a 24th slot.

Gaunce made the U18 squad and had a legitimate shot this year at WJC before he separated his shoulder.
Jensen made the Danish U18 squad and was leading scorer at the last WJC for Denmark.

+1

zackass.png

#85 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

We could have had Camara, but noooooooo, we had to pick David Honzik. We could have had Gaudreau but nooooooo, we had to pick..... Honzik.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#86 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

And also if you notice, how do Boston get premium prospects? Yes, they trade premium players for them. Did they win a Stanley Cup by doing this? Absolutely. Who has a brighter future in terms of young guns in the cupboard? Be truthful.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#87 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

The thing that worries me, somewhat, is MG making some seemingly rookie mistakes in his asset management (young players and old). A couple of bad moves can have repercussions for years. He has made Vancouver a more desirable place for players to come play, no doubt, but seems he has also made some glaring errors along the way, possibly attributable to his lack of gm experience.

#88 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

What do you think are his mistakes?

I am of the opinion he has actually, if anything, erred in acquiring better assets at the expense of assets we need to round out our lineup. Since the SCF anyway... For example Kassian will be a great forward for us for many years, but was not ready to play for us when he arrived. Consumed with the asset versus something that helped the team at the time... Same could be said for Booth, as we had a dearth of left wingers, or Garrison where we have massive depth on left D. MG is rebuilding on the fly versus building the best team!

:blink: :blink: :shock:

The thing that worries me, somewhat, is MG making some seemingly rookie mistakes in his asset management (young players and old). A couple of bad moves can have repercussions for years. He has made Vancouver a more desirable place for players to come play, no doubt, but seems he has also made some glaring errors along the way, possibly attributable to his lack of gm experience.

#89 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Both Boston and LA, it could be argued, spent 4 to 7 years acquiring stockpiles of good young players. They got to the point where they either did not have key room in their line up to bring them up (with us an example might have been no top 6 role for Hodgson) or would have been in cap trouble retaining them as they came off their entry level contracts. In Boston, they had no room for Kessel, so converted him into prospects which will keep the team stocked for years. In LA, were they going to be able to pay Simmonds and Schenn, then wait for them to be as useful as Richards?

The main difference is we have been a division contending team for 6 of the last seven years. We have not had the luxury of being a crappy team for years to stockpile young talent.

And also if you notice, how do Boston get premium prospects? Yes, they trade premium players for them. Did they win a Stanley Cup by doing this? Absolutely. Who has a brighter future in terms of young guns in the cupboard? Be truthful.

#90 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

The mistakes have been discussed in length in another thread but the ones that stand out for me are his managment of players in general. Letting certain ones go over others, not maximizing value for assets(he may have completely bungled the best goalie duo in franchise history(time will tell)).

To say Kassian will be a great player for years to come requires a giant leap of faith. He has proven nothing.

I don't see MG building on the fly so much as trying deperately, and failing, to plug holes(Booth/Kassian/Tanev/Pahlson). The teams toughness is non existent since Torres left and the defense is a shred of what it was in 2011.

Edited by scottiecanuck, 29 December 2012 - 11:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.