The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you worried about the Canucks' future ?

RAMBUTANS

You've got your risks backwards. There was far more risk in acquiring Ballard than there was in re-signing Mitchell. Ballard required parting ways with two young roster players and a 1st round pick (one of those roster players went on to score 35 goals and earn a Calder nomination the next year), and he also came with the baggage of a long-term, big-money contract. If Mitchell couldn't play, he goes on LTIR, which is not counted against the cap, and the Canucks move on to plan B.

And Mitchell would have still garnered a contract from us that was around 3.5 anyways, so the big contract argument doesn't make alot of sense.

Jason Garrison is just as reliable as Salo, he also has the size and defensive ability to his advantage, which makes him more effective, and he also is more durable.

And actually we are "justifying letting him go" not only because of the contract but also because we got an upgrade in Garrison.

Gillis.org allegedly low-balled Willie so there was no 3.5 going down,at any rate.

I am fine with this strategy given that the Canucks took care of Willie when he was in dire straits.

Garrison has not played one game for the Canucks and certainly does not have the stellar record Salo earned.

Gillis may have tried to justify 'letting him go' but on trade day-front and centre of CDC- the Canucks were telling the general public their #1 priprity was to re-sign Sami,which was a publicity stunt,obviously.

This regime is good at the media control game.

There is no way we could offer the deal Sami got in Tbay, so with that in mind and the fact that Garrison is younger, bigger and more durable, I'm fine with letting Sami go then picking up Garrison in his place.

I'm a big Sami fan but no way we could have signed that deal.

Gillis.org allegedly low-balled Willie so there was no 3.5 going down,at any rate.

I am fine with this strategy given that the Canucks took care of Willie when he was in dire straits.

Garrison has not played one game for the Canucks and certainly does not have the stellar record Salo earned.

Gillis may have tried to justify 'letting him go' but on trade day-front and centre of CDC- the Canucks were telling the general public their #1 priprity was to re-sign Sami,which was a publicity stunt,obviously.

Gillis did not "lowball" Willie. He offered the same money - the difference maker was the LA offered an extra year - Gillis wasn't comfortable offering a two year term when it wasn't clear if Mitchell would be able to play again. LA could afford to eat the salary and cap hit - at the time, they weren't a SC contender, they were a bubble team - yes, the gamble paid off for them (and in all honesty, despite the fact that Mitchell was a big part of putting LA over the top, I'm very happy for him).

Come on folks.

Sami Salo was my favorite Canuck. In the thread where I think it was Vintage who asked what Canuck you'd like to have a beer with, it was a no-brainer for me. I love the guy.

But you're getting a little carried away here. We never heard the end of the Sami criticisms - which were really a bunch of BS as a result of his bad luck with injuries - the guy, as many have stated, has ballz of STEEL!

However - like Mitchell - Sami was offered a great contract and a two year term - he is 38 years old, which meant under the CBA in which the term was signed, his cap hit would have counted against the Canucks regardless. Putting 7.5 million against Sami in the "window" years is something the Canucks understandably thought twice about. Everyone knows they need cap space to re-sign Edler - and almost everyone knows (with the exception of a few Nancies) what a quality two-way blueliner Garrison is. I'm not going to go into his corsi numbers, but what was clear was his outstanding performance in both shutdown and offensive roles, and the fact that he made his partners better. Signed below market value - great 'risk'. He makes having to let go of Sami a little easier to stomach. Imagine if the Nucks had to settle for a weak overpayment like Wideman.

Perhaps people should wait until an actual letdown before so prematurely attempting to put a thumb tack in Gillis' coffin.

If the worst y'all have got is Ballard, you're wasting our time.

You simply don't understand risk if you think that signing Mitchell was riskier than giving up what we did for Ballard. Acquiring Ballard has cost us a young forward with blazing speed that can score, another bottom-six young forward, and an intriguing 1st round draft prospect. Mitchell would've cost us nothing but salary. Risk is clearly higher in one scenario.

And yes, I'm a fan of Toronto.

everyone knows (with the exception of a few Nancies) what a quality two-way blueliner Garrison is. I'm not going to go into his corsi numbers, but what was clear was his outstanding performance in both shutdown and offensive roles, and the fact that he made his partners better. Signed below market value - great 'risk'. He makes having to let go of Sami a little easier to stomach. Imagine if the Nucks had to settle for a weak overpayment like Wideman.

Perhaps people should wait until an actual letdown before so prematurely attempting to put a thumb tack in Gillis' coffin.

If the worst y'all have got is Ballard, you're wasting our time.

You're out to lunch.

The part you are clearly oblivious to is the risk of having an extremely shallow blueline if Mitchell didn't recover a prayed.

Acquiring Ballard and Hamhius was exactly what Gillis had to do given the roster the Canucks had.

The result? Some whiners can complain that the Canucks only managed a couple President's and a Game 7, but that was a risk he had to take imo...

Could AV have stuck Grabner or Bernier on the blueline? Yeah, no.

Do you get the point?

You're out to lunch.

The part you are clearly oblivious to is the risk of having an extremely shallow blueline if Mitchell didn't recover a prayed.

Acquiring Ballard and Hamhius was exactly what Gillis had to do given the roster the Canucks had.

The result? Some whiners can complain that the Canucks only managed a couple President's and a Game 7, but that was a risk he had to take imo...

Could AV have stuck Grabner or Bernier on the blueline? Yeah, no.

Do you get the point?

You're out to lunch.

Archived