The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disputing an open liquor ticket

MillerGenuineDraft

On Halloween weekend I got an open liquor ticket at a kegger on campus, due to the fact that I did not know one of my friends put there booze in my packback. When the cops came, they asked what was in the bag, and I said I had my an empty box of beers, but no alcohol. When they checked it, there was the empty box, but they found a bottle of vodka underneath.

I got fined $233 for alcohol that I honestly had no idea was there. My friend was speeding 40km above the speed limit and her ticket wasn't even close to the price of my ticket. My little cousin stole a car and crashed it and her fine wasn't even that much.

I'm disputing the price of the ticket, because I really think that it's an unfair price (no need to give me the whole 'its the law' talk, I personally think its an unfair price).

I heard that if the officer who wrote the ticket doesn't show up they drop the charge entirely.

Also, would it be best just to explain my situation- I'm a broke university student who realized he made a mistake and cannot afford to pay the ticket.

Thank you. I hope your Christmas was merry and stuff!

I've disputed a ticket before. If the officer doesn't show up, the ticket is dropped, (if you're willing to lie in court).

I still believe you'd have to plead not guilty, but you had the alcohol in your backpack, so that would be a lie.

At any rate, when I disputed mine the cop did show up but the judge reduced the sentence on the grounds that I "learned my lesson", which was trash.

I've disputed a ticket before. If the officer doesn't show up, the ticket is dropped, (if you're willing to lie in court).

I still believe you'd have to plead not guilty, but you had the alcohol in your backpack, so that would be a lie.

At any rate, when I disputed mine the cop did show up but the judge reduced the sentence on the grounds that I "learned my lesson", which was trash.

Excessive speeding tickets are serious business. You get your vehicle impounded. and worse you'll get a 3 year birthday gift from the government via ICBC of $320 bill. (It's called a Driver's Risk Premium)

I agree with with Russ you should get your license suspended for that. To translate that. If you're going 40 over the limit. If there's an animal that jumps out in front of you like a deer or moose, you won't be able to stop in time, and you'd be lucky to avoid it.

Everyone speeds, I get that. But 40 over? Sorry not too much latitude I'd give there.

As for your open liquor ticket. I'm sorry it's your backpack, you choose what gets put inside. What's your friends doing putting stuff in it? Normally cops will confiscate it and that's the end of it. Just because your friend put it in there, shows a lack of responsibility in my view. Too many people point fingers at the other guy, and don't take responsibility themselves. Learn from it and carry on.

As for search and seizure:

http://en.wikipedia....ts_and_Freedoms

That's the quick version.

I'm sure Wet can give you the full legal version of what's a reasonable search and what is not.

You can pick up a copy of the Martin's Pocket Criminal Code at places like the Justice Institute if you're really curious. Or online at sites like:

http://www.efc.ca/pages/law/cc/cc.html

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html#h-39

Excessive speeding tickets are serious business. You get your vehicle impounded. and worse you'll get a 3 year birthday gift from the government via ICBC of $320 bill. (It's called a Driver's Risk Premium)

I agree with with Russ you should get your license suspended for that. To translate that. If you're going 40 over the limit. If there's an animal that jumps out in front of you like a deer or moose, you won't be able to stop in time, and you'd be lucky to avoid it.

Everyone speeds, I get that. But 40 over? Sorry not too much latitude I'd give there.

As for your open liquor ticket. I'm sorry it's your backpack, you choose what gets put inside. What's your friends doing putting stuff in it? Normally cops will confiscate it and that's the end of it. Just because your friend put it in there, shows a lack of responsibility in my view. Too many people point fingers at the other guy, and don't take responsibility themselves. Learn from it and carry on.

Learn your lesson and next time don't give consent to search your person or any of your property. Just state you don't consent to searches, and if there is no reasonable means to have searched you in the first place, any evidence is in admissible in court.

Now the fact that you admitted to having alcohol containers probably didn't help, or the fact that you were at a kegger... But next time just break off the confrontation if you can.

Dealing with the cops 101.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Wetcoaster.

Edit: And if you have the alcohol stowed away in the bag, why is that considered open? Something tells me you're not telling us everything.

Edit 2: Just did some research and it says that it is indeed considered "open" even if in a backpack.

Learn your lesson and next time don't give consent to search your person or any of your property. Just state you don't consent to searches, and if there is no reasonable means to have searched you in the first place, any evidence is in admissible in court.

Now the fact that you admitted to having alcohol containers probably didn't help, or the fact that you were at a kegger... But next time just break off the confrontation if you can.

Edit: And if you have the alcohol stowed away in the bag, why is that considered open? Something tells me you're not telling us everything.

Edit 2: Just did some research and it says that it is indeed considered "open" even if in a backpack.

As much as I appreciate that. You clearly neglected my take on this. It's obvious it's my backpack, therefore my fault.

I am disputing NOT disputing the offence my friend. I am disputing the PRICE of the offence. There is a major different between the two bud.

Edit:

If you read my first post (it's unedited fyi), you'd see that I said I think the price is unfair. I even stated at the end I said what I did was wrong. I never pointed fingers at anyone, nor did I say I'm not responsible. I know life sucks at times. I'm simply disputing the ticket price.

Archived