Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Past Canuck Talent Tearin' it up?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#31 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,516 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Ah, Duco has played 4 games for EC Salzburg.
Posted Image

#32 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Shirokov is only one I can say we messed up on letting walk for nothing. Besides Neely obviously. Luongo will be one if we don't get something really good back,
Posted Image

#33 Jordan Subban

Jordan Subban

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not necessarily tearing it up but Brian McCabe got better after he left the Canucks.

Grabner had a race for the Calder in NYI but I honestly think it was more about being forced to play more minutes and assume a big role. He's a star on a bottom feeding team and could not crack the line up of the President's trophy team.

One thing I have noticed though...

Many players who leave the Canucks end up declining in production with thier new teams:

Linden, Bure, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Naslund, Erhoff,

Linden and Ehrhoff are the only one's i agree with, but Bure had bad Knees, Bertuzzi age (his points were still okay numbers after incedent), Morrison Injuries and Naslund age.
Posted ImageCredit to _-_ -_

#34 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Shout out to Bertuzzi, he's doing pretty good on the Wings. :)

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#35 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,940 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Grabner, Shirokov, Cody. Soft, Soft, Soft.

and #4 - etc, etc, etc....

#36 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Surprised no one mentiond Martin Gelinas. When the Canucks dumped him (frack you Mike Keenan) after two consecutive 30 goal seasons. He proved he still had a little gas left in the tank.

After he was shown the door he played another 726 games, scoring 153 goals and 357 points. Not bad for a guy who the Canucks acquired for the cost of a waiver wire pick up of $5,000.

That's the best pickup ever apart from the Red Wings getting Kris Draper from Winnipeg for $1.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 27 December 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#37 jcl

jcl

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Seen a couple people say we let Shirokov walk for nothing when in fact we traded him to Florida for Mike Duco...

Sergei's not exactly tearing it up in CSKA, but then again he's got a lot of returnee Russian NHLers playing ahead of him. Not all that great of a loss IMO

#38 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,516 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'm surprised some people are still bringing up Shirokov, considering he couldn't even light it up with the twins in his brief regular season stint with us. Hell, even Jeff Cowan could for a short, Shirokov-like stretch.

He did light it up with the twins in the preseason though. (Do we get too excited about the preseason?) It's a real shame that Shiro couldn't convert his preseason success into any regular season success, but that's the way she goes. Perhaps we could've converted him into something better than Mike Duco if he did something.

Still, no NHL team would pay Shiro his KHL money unless he was very good. It was boom or bust for him with the twins and he definitely busted. It's a shame.
Posted Image

#39 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

How about Mike Peca?

He didn't exactly "tear it up" but was a solid, hard nosed leader in the NHL for many years after he left the nux.

#40 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Kiril Koltsov

#41 bohonos76

bohonos76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Nedved - the NedVedian One

#42 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,580 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Players that Canucks fans might have missed:

-Matt Cooke scored a career-high 19 goals last season. Matt Pettinger? Ugh.
-Wellwood has done alright since leaving, but if he wasn't an ex-Leaf and ex-Canuck, nobody would cover him.
-Grabner has done well for the Islanders, earning a multi-year deal.
-Willie Mitchell won the cup last season. With his noggin' fixed up, he proved to be very valuable for them for when LA was granted their cup run.
-Christian Ehrhoff had an 'alright' season for Buffalo, but is hardly worth the money he earned.
-Torres and Glass were also 'alright' for their new clubs. Glass is now is Pittsburgh while Torres is suspended forever?
-Hodgson has 1g, 12a in 13gp for the Amerks. Skilled, but fairly injury-prone.

Since everything else has panned out so far, the big question is of course will we miss Cody Hodgson? And there is much debate about that. He could do fairly well post-lockout on a team like Buffalo's, which typically used a 4-line attack and an inflated powerplay for their big post-2005 lockout seasons. But is he star material, let lone a legit #1 center? Not sure.

Players we don't:

-Naslund, Morrison, Ritchie, Isbister, and Ryan Shannon all didn't do much after the Canucks lost them.
-Jeff Cowan hasn't done much since his 6-game Brabarian stint with the Sedins.
-Ohlund played one season with Tampa and has been injured since.
-Mathieu Schneider hasn't done much since being dumped.
-Steve Bernier went to the finals last season in NJ as a 4th liner. He took a 5-minute penalty to end that series for them, but was re-signed.
-Darcy Hordichuk and Shane O'Brien, career nothings, went on to become nothings with their new clubs.
-Shirokov currently has 3g, 3a in 18gp for CSKA Moscow.
-Samuelsson and Sturm were injured most of last season. Sammy is now back in Detroit where he can float around while Sturm is likely done.
-Byron Bitz. Not sure what he's doing now.
-Pahlsson has played just one game for Modo this season.
-Gragnani has 14pts, -3 in 20gp for the Checkers. Speedy, but insanely useless, defensively.
-Duco? Where is he?
-Oreskovich? Where is he?
-Rome is getting ready to be a Dallas Star.
-Eric Walsky. Remember him? Swiss league. Injured.
-And Sami Salo joins Ohlund in TB. The lockout hurts him. He may not have much gas left in the tank.

Yeah why did we let Ohlund go? I would have liked to have kept him. He still is a great hitter and a solid defensive player, honestly if Lu wasn't made Captain I think it should have been him.

zackass.png

#43 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,580 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

I'm surprised some people are still bringing up Shirokov, considering he couldn't even light it up with the twins in his brief regular season stint with us. Hell, even Jeff Cowan could for a short, Shirokov-like stretch.

He did light it up with the twins in the preseason though. (Do we get too excited about the preseason?) It's a real shame that Shiro couldn't convert his preseason success into any regular season success, but that's the way she goes. Perhaps we could've converted him into something better than Mike Duco if he did something.

Still, no NHL team would pay Shiro his KHL money unless he was very good. It was boom or bust for him with the twins and he definitely busted. It's a shame.

Early on he didn't but when he came up in 10/11 he looked great, we should have kept him, when Raymond struggled last year we could have given him the shot, he had gotten alot better.

He's one of the few I actually think we messed up with, him and Koltsov, both had dreams of playing here, both had talent, both could have/could help us.

zackass.png

#44 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,516 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Both players stayed in Russia for more money. Can't say i blame 'em. As it were, established players with the proven seasons in their resume (that Shiro and Kolt didn't have) have had to do the same thing with the cap.
Posted Image

#45 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Nedved - the NedVedian One

playing along side with Jagr and Lemiuex? He better....

we could of drafteddd Jagrrrr

#46 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

With the Grabner issue, what was it about OUR team at that point that did not allow him to flourish? I agree on Mitchell...would great to have him in addition to our current D core....but, it's hockey.

Torres would still be good to have as well, IMO

Because AV kept playing him on the 3rd line with not that great linemates to help him develop into a player that he is now. If he was on the 2nd line instead of Raymond at the time, I'm sure he would've done the same thing Raymond would've done, but maybe a bit better.

I disagree with Hodgson not being able to flourish. Last season he was given every opportunity to put up points and as a result had a successful campaign. Now Shirokov is someone who was simply not given an opportunity, even when he performed well.

How? Played 3rd line minutes all season, and only had a handful of games playing on the 2nd line. Never played on the PK. Wasn't always on for the PP. And still managed to put up 2nd liner points all while playing with Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, etc. When he was put on the 2nd line, he was sent back down to the 3rd and never really got to develop some chemistry with Kesler. We all know Kes is a puck hog, but Cody isn't. Its just the lack of minutes that didn't really allow Cody to become a regular top 6 forward, and he only wanted more ice time to show that he can produce.

One thing I have noticed though...

Many players who leave the Canucks end up declining in production with thier new teams:

Linden, Bure, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Naslund, Erhoff,

Linden came back. Bertuzzi and Morrison were relegated to lesser roles (ie playing on 2nd/3rd/4th line not being able to put up points), Naslund was on the 2nd line and at the time, they didn't REALLY have a great playmaking centerman like they do now with Richards. Buffalo doesn't have half the talent the Sedins have on their 1st line which might be why his point production went down a little.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#47 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

How? Played 3rd line minutes all season, and only had a handful of games playing on the 2nd line. Never played on the PK. Wasn't always on for the PP. And still managed to put up 2nd liner points all while playing with Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, etc. When he was put on the 2nd line, he was sent back down to the 3rd and never really got to develop some chemistry with Kesler. We all know Kes is a puck hog, but Cody isn't. Its just the lack of minutes that didn't really allow Cody to become a regular top 6 forward, and he only wanted more ice time to show that he can produce.

Cody was given the most offensive zone starts out of any player not named Sedin. That inflated his numbers. Never had to face top-line defensemen. Got 2nd unit PP time which he made the most of. Sure he played on the "3rd" line, but later in the season it was a much more offensively inclined 3rd line. Used more for secondary scoring.

You mentioned he "had" to play with guys like Hansen, Higgins, Booth and Raymond for the majority of the time and those guys are all borderline top-six players in their own right. He never played on the 2nd line because Kesler is the center and Cody is not effective on the wing. Watching him play it is evident he is a natural centerman.

If Cody thought he was going to be a top-six center ahead of Henrik and Kesler he was on a big ego trip. He was a rookie who was put in positions to succeed and still complained about his role. The Canucks' brass didn't want an attitude like that (and his agent) around so they decided to move him,

Edited by bossram, 29 December 2012 - 03:13 AM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#48 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,591 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

There was a time when Cliff Ronning was declared too small to be the Canuck's #2 centre.

He apparently wasn't too small to go on to score an average of 55+ points over the next 7 seasons though.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#49 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Players we don't:

-Naslund, Morrison, Ritchie, Isbister, and Ryan Shannon all didn't do much after the Canucks lost them.
-Jeff Cowan hasn't done much since his 6-game Brabarian stint with the Sedins.
-Ohlund played one season with Tampa and has been injured since.
-Mathieu Schneider hasn't done much since being dumped.
-Steve Bernier went to the finals last season in NJ as a 4th liner. He took a 5-minute penalty to end that series for them, but was re-signed.
-Darcy Hordichuk and Shane O'Brien, career nothings, went on to become nothings with their new clubs.
-Shirokov currently has 3g, 3a in 18gp for CSKA Moscow.
-Samuelsson and Sturm were injured most of last season. Sammy is now back in Detroit where he can float around while Sturm is likely done.
-Byron Bitz. Not sure what he's doing now.
-Pahlsson has played just one game for Modo this season.
-Gragnani has 14pts, -3 in 20gp for the Checkers. Speedy, but insanely useless, defensively.
-Duco? Where is he?
-Oreskovich? Where is he?
-Rome is getting ready to be a Dallas Star.
-Eric Walsky. Remember him? Swiss league. Injured.
-And Sami Salo joins Ohlund in TB. The lockout hurts him. He may not have much gas left in the tank.

O'Brien put up 20 points, averaged 19 minutes, and was a +2 on a team with a negative goal differential (only one Dman on the Avs had a better +/-) while playing with the Av's last year. I think this is the second time you've blasted O'Brien without even considering his stats. He's not a top 4 dman on most teams, but he was very effective for the Avs last year. He would be a welcome addition as our 6th dman IMO.

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#50 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

No love for Wellwood here. Name me a cheaper 18 goal scorer in the NHL last year.

#51 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

No love for Wellwood here. Name me a cheaper 18 goal scorer in the NHL last year.

name me a softer fatter lazier 18 goal scorer in the nhl last year.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#52 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

name me a softer fatter lazier 18 goal scorer in the nhl last year.

The fat, soft and lazy tag that's been stuck to Wellwood is really unfounded. He drives excellent possession numbers and as a result this makes him fairly strong defensively. He's got a good active stick and enough to skill to play in the top-six if you need him.

He's a versatile player to have around.

#53 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Kiril Koltsov

Watched him play today in the Spengler Cup game. He was brutal, but then, his khl squad Ufa was brutal. No way we miss him.
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

#54 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

The fat, soft and lazy tag that's been stuck to Wellwood is really unfounded. He drives excellent possession numbers and as a result this makes him fairly strong defensively. He's got a good active stick and enough to skill to play in the top-six if you need him.

He's a versatile player to have around.

I livenin windsor and have skated with kyle and eric. the fact that you used drive amd wellwood (kyle) in the same sentence is disturbing. if kyle had the same fire in him as eric does he'd be a regular 50pt player in the nhl. what a waste of talent.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#55 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I livenin windsor and have skated with kyle and eric. the fact that you used drive amd wellwood (kyle) in the same sentence is disturbing. if kyle had the same fire in him as eric does he'd be a regular 50pt player in the nhl. what a waste of talent.

That's why you're in the NHL and he's not right? Yah I'm assuming you "skated" with him (if that's even true) in the summer in some recreational pick-up game. NO ONE goes all-out in those games.

You also took the word drive out of context. I used it with respect to the amount of possession Wellwood contributes. When he's on the ice your team is more likely to have the puck. PITB published an entire article demonstrating Wellwood's fairly reliable possession and defensive ability.

He's also scored 48, 42 and 47 points before so he is already close to being a 50 point player if he plays a top-six role.

No he's not the best player in the league. Yes he could be better. But despite all the flak he gets, the facts are Wellwood is a pretty decent player. I remember when he was in Vancouver he was one of our better players in the playoffs and was alright on the 3rd liner.

#56 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

I just do not understand the love still for Shirokov. The guy simply was not strong enough on the puck and not fast enough to make up for it. He was/is Steve Kariya2.0, both had a lot of skill but that doesn't matter if you're too easy to knock off the puck.

#57 Beaken

Beaken

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Grabner, Shirokov, Cody. Soft, Soft, Soft.

Those three guys weren't drafted for their checking and knuckle skills.
I consider three quarters of our team to be soft so pointing the finger at those three is moot.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.