Canucks Community

Your Top 10 Films of 2012

mcgillnuck

1. The Hobbit

2. 21 Jump Street

3. The Hunger Games

4. Ted

5. John Carter

Only movies that stood out for me this year. Didn't watch enough Disney/Pixar movies this year. I hear Reck it Ralph and Brave were good. Didn't like the Dark Knight nor Life of Pi. Also haven't watched Looper. Honorable mention to Goon as it will be a canadian classic.

I've tried 3-4 times now to make a top ten list, with no success. I don't think 2012 has been a great year for film. Movies I've seen:

The Avengers

Hunger Games

The Dark Knight Rises

Ted

Cabin in the Woods

That Resident Evil movie (not by choice)

Almost 40

Flight

Looper

SkyFall

Pitch Perfect

Bourne Legacy

21 Jump Street

Of all those movies, the only one I think I really really liked was Ted, yet I could never name 'Ted' the greatest movie of 2012.

Movies I have yet to see but expect to be better than those named above:

Argo

Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis never disappoints)

Django Unchained

Zero Dark Thirty

arguing about subjective things is silly?

you should know full well that saying "the dark knight rises pretends to have meaning, but doesn't, and therefore the avengers is better because it doesn't even try" is a controversial opinion, and pretty damn hipster-ish in itself. but then again, using the word 'hipster' in any context should be avoided at all costs, because in subjective conversation (especially online), every person is someone else's hipster

on a semi-related note--and not necessarily a criticism of the exchange between Employee and Armada--i wish CDC users were better at discussing the arts without getting so offended if their taste is put on trial. yes, it's all subjective, but opinion on subjective matters can really be interesting, if those opinions are backed up with substance and critical thinking. god forbid someone begins to re-evulate how they read, hear, play, or view their escapism of choice!

personally, i thought TDKR was good for what it was (imo, my idea of a "good" popcorn movie should have meaning, or at least try to have meaning), whereas i can't even bring myself to watch The Avengers.

arguing about subjective things is silly?

you should know full well that saying "the dark knight rises pretends to have meaning, but doesn't, and therefore the avengers is better because it doesn't even try" is a controversial opinion, and pretty damn hipster-ish in itself. but then again, using the word 'hipster' in any context should be avoided at all costs, because in subjective conversation (especially online), every person is someone else's hipster

on a semi-related note--and not necessarily a criticism of the exchange between Employee and Armada--i wish CDC users were better at discussing the arts without getting so offended if their taste is put on trial. yes, it's all subjective, but opinion on subjective matters can really be interesting, if those opinions are backed up with substance and critical thinking. god forbid someone begins to re-evulate how they read, hear, play, or view their escapism of choice!

personally, i thought TDKR was good for what it was (imo, my idea of a "good" popcorn movie should have meaning, or at least try to have meaning), whereas i can't even bring myself to watch The Avengers.

That's the thing though. The Avengers is pure entertainment. It knows the idea of super-powered people fighting aliens in New York is silly, and it plays to that.

The Dark Knight Rises tried to be dark and deep, but it just fell flat on it's face. I'd rather watch something fun and entertaining than a big budget action movie (the action wasn't even very good) that tried to be cerebral and failed.The plot was stupid, the acting was inconsistent, and the dialogue was horrendous.

I think expectations play a huge part in this debate as well. The only previous Marvel movie I really liked was the first Iron-man (Norton's Hulk was just OK), while The Dark Knight is almost a perfect movie IMO. So when my gf dragged me to The Avengers and it wasn't dog crap I was really impressed. Meanwhile The Dark knight Rises, while probably the better movie in retrospect, left me feeling pretty disappointed that it didn't live up to the hype.

And you're spot on about the plot and dialogue being the major flaws of TDKR. Just like with Prometheus the movie was gorgeous and the set pieces were spectacular, but man did those script writers crap the bed.

A lot of stuff I haven't seen but I'll put together a list anyways:

1. Django Unchained

2. Moonrise Kingdom

3. Beasts of the Southern Wild

4. Killing Them Softly

5. The Avengers

6. Dark Knight Rises

7. Hunger Games

8. 21 Jump Street

Can't remember seeing anything else that wasn't terrible. Pretty strong year for film I'd say, definitely better than last year.

Also, has anyone seen Holy Motors? I've heard its really good but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

I thought Moonrise Kingdom was one of the worst movies of the year. Couldn't get through 30 mins of it. My family was laughing on how highly rated it was. On the other hand we just finished watching Pitcher Perfect and I thought it was actually pretty good. A lot better than I thought it was going to be.

Archived