The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your Top 10 Films of 2012

mcgillnuck

No, you're a troll because you made an exorbitant amount of posts about how much you dislike a single movie, but didn't come up with any actual criticisms, just threw banal insults at the movie and those who enjoyed it. Then when people make replies with a legitimate counterpoint, you don't reply, you just go back to talking about how much you dislike it. You didn't even post your favourite moves of the year, just spewed insults at the Avengers.

We get it. You don't like it. Why you have such a hard-on for insulting it is what I don't get.

"Troll" is such a childish statement, but if you really must know..

Too me it was an over hyped and then an overrated movie. There was nothing special about the Avengers, the plot had been nothing special and nothing to draw me in to enjoy it. The typical: Villain threatens earth and the super heroes need to save it story. What is special about that? The Loki guy was merely a "villain" who wouldn't scare your grandma. Bane(Tom Hardy) from Batman and Silva(Jarvier Bardem) from Skyfall were much more "epic" and did absolutely PHENOMENAL jobs. The acting was average at best, with the exception of a few including Robert Downey Jr. The dialogue was dreadful, it wasn't funny and nor was it gritty or dramatic, the whole thing going on between the superheroes was incredibly cheesy especially with Iron Man and Captain America. The only thing it really had going for it was the action which was decent.

I think what gets me most is how over hyped this movie was and the reaction it got. To put it on a top 10 movie list is an insult to the other great movies we saw this year which actually deserved a better reception.

That's what you call entertainment?

Just cause something incredibly big and overrated is popular doesn't mean its good. Avengers is like Nickleback. For some reason a lot of people like it yet its terrible music.

Maybe I went overboard saying it was a terrible movie, but it wasn't a great one either especially since it shouldn't be earning the 2nd spot on a top 10 list (Your list).

The thing is, the Avengers is completely tongue-in-cheek. It knows it's a goofy movie and runs with it. No one goes into the Avengers looking for anything cerebral and poignant, but as far as fun, summer blockbusters go it's pretty damn good. It managed to be fun without being stupid, unlike something of Transformers' ilk.

Obviously people are going to disagree with me, and that's cool. That's what this thread is for. But actually discuss the movie, don't just throw childish insults.

arguing about subjective things is silly?

you should know full well that saying "the dark knight rises pretends to have meaning, but doesn't, and therefore the avengers is better because it doesn't even try" is a controversial opinion, and pretty damn hipster-ish in itself. but then again, using the word 'hipster' in any context should be avoided at all costs, because in subjective conversation (especially online), every person is someone else's hipster

on a semi-related note--and not necessarily a criticism of the exchange between Employee and Armada--i wish CDC users were better at discussing the arts without getting so offended if their taste is put on trial. yes, it's all subjective, but opinion on subjective matters can really be interesting, if those opinions are backed up with substance and critical thinking. god forbid someone begins to re-evulate how they read, hear, play, or view their escapism of choice!

personally, i thought TDKR was good for what it was (imo, my idea of a "good" popcorn movie should have meaning, or at least try to have meaning), whereas i can't even bring myself to watch The Avengers.

Bahaha. Glad I'm the only one in the room right now.

I saw Django Unchained on the weekend, really liked it, particularly the first hour or so. Christoph Waltz delivers every line with such patience, its brilliant. One of my favourite actors; makes me want to watch Inglorious Bastards again.

I also saw Cloud Atlas, which I liked, but at sometimes found it being "odd for the sake of being odd" (similar to Inception). I love cerebral movies if the cerebral aspect fits with the plot/story of the movie. Don't be complicated just for the sake of being complicated.

I honestly thought Foxx was the weakest part of the movie. We saw very little character development from him, and he was always out-acted by whoever he was with (Waltz, Jackson, Dicaprio, Goggins.) It really felt like Schultz was the protagonist.

I honestly thought Foxx was the weakest part of the movie. We saw very little character development from him, and he was always out-acted by whoever he was with (Waltz, Jackson, Dicaprio, Goggins.) It really felt like Schultz was the protagonist.

That's what you call entertainment?

Just cause something incredibly big and overrated is popular doesn't mean its good. Avengers is like Nickleback. For some reason a lot of people like it yet its terrible music.

Maybe I went overboard saying it was a terrible movie, but it wasn't a great one either especially since it shouldn't be earning the 2nd spot on a top 10 list (Your list).

It being "overrated" and popular has nothing to do with the fact that I find it good. The writing was fantastic and the action was very good along with the CG. The actors all did a good job with the roles IMO. Think what you want though. All I can say is don't overhype a movie for yourself.

Archived