The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Latest StraightJAB (SCREW G)

OFFSIDEsports

Here's this weeks, hope you like it... damn that Bettman! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year folks!

CAR_Sports_2348.jpg

[All imagery © Ken Henderson 2009-2012. Any use not expressly permitted by Henderson is forbidden. IF you do want to re-post the image somewhere just PM me and ask.]

NHL Podium says:

"My house is made out of balsa wood, so when I want to scare the neighborhood kids I lift it over my head. Or at least I would. If I had arms."

"Things I also don't have: Shins. Devices for finding furniture in the dark."

"Ho-hum. My whole life is waiting for the questions to which I have prepared answers."

"Hey you. Out there beyond the wall, breaking bottles in the hall. Can you help me? Don't tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, divided we fall?"

Just because the owners pull Bettman's strings, doesn't mean he and the owners aren't screwing the fans around.

Yes, there's blame on the players side, but I think part of the problem is both the Fehr's and Bettman's egos getting in the way of a deal.

Just imagine how good the league would be with someone with a sports marketing/hockey/ or Sports TV background.

Bettman was entrusted to grow the game and his Southern expansion push to try and secure a large US television contract is THE REASON the NHL has had as many work stoppages as it has and is in the financial mess that it is in. His 'vision' and arrogance has screwed the league period. Sure the owners are culpable... but this is Bettman's mess. He has been an abysmal failure... the worst commissioner in Sports as SI put it.

Without getting into a debate about it, I'd avoid saying "all the risk" if I were you.

Nearly all the financial risks are taken by the owners.

All of the physical risks are taken by the players. (Which, if we're talking concussions, I'd call the bigger risk)

Isn't that true of any industry? Forestry, mining, construction....employees take the physical risks while owners take the financial risk? Such is life. Unlike hockey players those other "risk taker" employees can't make a lifetime of wages in a matter of years.

Isn't that true of any industry? Forestry, mining, construction....employees take the physical risks while owners take the financial risk? Such is life. Unlike hockey players those other "risk taker" employees can't make a lifetime of wages in a matter of years.

Archived