The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Van - Buff

So to preface the whole exercise here I'll start by saying this would probably never work due to NTC and cap considerations, but I am not the biggest Kesler fan so thought I would throw this out there for people to talk about.

To Van: either Grigorenko and Foligno Or Grigorenko and Armia (plus insert picks...) *** think Mike Richards asking price

To Buffalo: Kesler (plus insert whatever...)

Why: Buffalo has lots of young talent (Coho, Ennis, Girgensons, McNabb, Pysyk...) so can afford to lose some youth, and they have lots of skill forwards. What they do not have is a big, strong two-way Centre who can shutdown all the great players in the east (ie Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovie..). They need a bigger guy to play against these players...Kesler can do this. Now Kes would need to waive his NTC but he might be willing to cause its an American city and closer to his home state. Buffalo also has an owner who wants to win now, and a team that has a good mix of talent to do that. Van does this b/c they gain some youth who they can build around for the future, but a guy like Grigorenko might be able to step in and contribute now. Van also gets some bigger, stronger guys in Armia or Foligno.

Why not: GMMG does like to ask players to waive NTC. Van wants to win now and might feel this sets them back. Buffalo is close to the cap and might not want to absorb Keslers salary (they would be fine if they can buyout or move a guy like Leino). Buffalo might not also want to part with the strong youth moment they have going.

Anywho...what are people's thoughts. I just did this cause I want Kesler gone and this makde the most sense.

Why not: GMMG does like to ask players to waive NTC. Van wants to win now and might feel this sets them back. Buffalo is close to the cap and might not want to absorb Keslers salary (they would be fine if they can buyout or move a guy like Leino). Buffalo might not also want to part with the strong youth moment they have going.

Kesler for Ennis, and Armia, and a 2nd rd pick

Then trade Ballard to Detroit for Teemu Pulkkinen

All 3 players we get are NHL ready. Ennis is a playmaker, Armia is a power-forward/sniper, and Pulkinnen is a pure sniper.

Trade Lu for Kadri, Gunnarsson, and a pick, and our prospect pool goes from:

Before:

Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian

Rodin-Gaunce-?

After:

Ennis-Armia-Pulkinnen

Jensen-Kadri-Kassian

Schroeder-Gaunce-Rodin

Our top 9 would then be very versatile:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Ennis-Armia

Higgins-Kadri-Kassian

**Hansen/Lapierre/Pulkinnen

If Buffalo is still looking for the "right centerman", it'll cost them Myers.

I agree with other posters - Grigorenko is too young to step in.

Don't really like their options at center - can always make another deal to replace second line center role.

Alternatively, if not Myers, a top six RW like Stafford, with a prospect Foligno (or a center like Grigorenko) as a secondary piece for Kesler.

To fill the whole at center, I'd dangle Luongo (or Edler if he won't re-sign) in front of Holmgren, for Couturier +, depending upon the return for Kesler.

I think if we trade Kesler to Buffalo, Cody Hodgson would cry. He would be pushed back on the depth chart. I also don't think we need grigorenko right now because we have Gauce, Jensen, Kassian, Schroeder, and other prospects. grigorenko would help us but i don't think we need him.

Grigorenko is more of a top 6 offensive center than any of our current prospects. Schroeder and Gaunce have ability to put up points, but aren't as likely to put up the potential numbers of Grigorenko. Grigorenko has the advantage over Schroeder in size, and offensively over Gaunce, but it remains to be seen if he surpasses them in the NHL. His potential is higher though.

As another poster said, the Richards deal was B. Schenn, SImmonds and a 1st. A top prospect, solid roster player and a 1st round pick. I think Kesler has very similar value.

To VAN

Grigorenko

Ennis

Foligno or Armia

To BUF

Kesler

Schroeder

Weise

We get a slightly better package than the Richards deal, so I sent some other pieces Buffalo's way. Same premise: Top prospect (Grigorenko), solid roster player (Ennis), and a 1st (Foligno/Armia) but I'm just going to assume those two have equal value to a 1 1st round pick.

Of course Vancouver won't trade Kesler and it would set them back in their pursuit of a Cup. This is just for fun.

Grigorenko is more of a top 6 offensive center than any of our current prospects. Schroeder and Gaunce have ability to put up points, but aren't as likely to put up the potential numbers of Grigorenko. Grigorenko has the advantage over Schroeder in size, and offensively over Gaunce, but it remains to be seen if he surpasses them in the NHL. His potential is higher though.

Archived