dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf Dies at 78 - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.co...topstories.html

H. Norman Schwarzkopf, the retired general credited with leading U.S.-allied forces to a victory in the first Gulf War, has died at age 78, a U.S. official confirmed to ABC News.

He died today in Tampa, Fla., a U.S. official told the Associated Press.

Schwarzkopf, sometimes called "Stormin' Norman" because of his temper, actually led Republican administrations to two military victories: a small one in Grenada in the 1980s and a big one as de facto commander of allied forces in the Gulf War in 1991.

"'Stormin' Norman' led the coalition forces to victory, ejecting the Iraqi Armyfrom Kuwait and restoring the rightful government," read a statement by former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the Gulf War. "His leadership not only inspired his troops, but also inspired the nation."

Schwarzkopf's success during what was known as Operation Desert Storm came under President George H.W. Bush, who said today through his office that he mourned "the loss of a true American patriot and one of the great military leaders of his generation."

"Gen. Norm Schwarzkopf, to me, epitomized the 'duty, service, country' creed that has defended our freedom and seen this great nation through our most trying international crises," Bush said. "More than that, he was a good and decent man -- and a dear friend."

Bush's office released the statement though Bush, himself, was ill, hospitalized in Texas with a stubborn fever and on a liquids-only diet.

Schwarzkopf, the future four-star general, was born Aug. 24, 1934, in Trenton, N.J. He was raised as an army brat in Iran, Switzerland, Germany and Italy, following in his father's footsteps to West Point and being commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1956.

Schwarzkopf's father, who shared his name, directed the investigation of the Lindbergh baby kidnapping as head of the New Jersey State Police, later becoming a bridgadier general in the U.S. Army.

The younger Schwarzkopf earned three Silver Stars for bravery during two tours in Vietnam, gaining a reputation as an opinionated, plain-spoken commander with a sharp temper who would risk his own life for his soldiers.

"He had volunteered to go to Vietnam early just so he could get there before the war ended," said former Army Col. William McKinney, who knew Schwarzkopf from their days at West Point, according to ABC News Radio.

In 1983, as a newly-minted general, Schwarzkopf once again led troops into battle in President Reagan's invasion of Granada, a tiny Caribbean island where the White House saw American influence threatened by a Cuban-backed coup.

But he gained most of his fame in Iraq, where he used his 6-foot-3, 240-pound frame and fearsome temper to drive his troops to victory. Gruff and direct, his goal was to win the war as quickly as possible and with a focused objective: getting Iraq out of Kuwait.

"If it had been our intention to take Iraq, if it had been our intention to destroy the country, if it had been our intention to overrun the country, we could have done it unopposed," he said at a military briefing in 1991.

He spoke French and German to coalition partners, showed awareness of Arab sensitivities and served as Powell's operative man on the ground.

Powell today recalled Schwarzkopf as "a great patriot and a great soldier," who "served his country with courage and distinction for over 35 years."

"He was a good friend of mine, a close buddy," Powell added. "I will miss him."

Schwarzkopf retired from the Army after Desert Storm in 1991, writing an autobiography, becoming an advocate for prostate cancer awareness, serving on the boards of various charities and lecturing. He and his wife, Brenda, had three children.

Schwarzkopf spent his retirement in Tampa, home base for his last military assignment as commander-in-chief of U.S. Central Command.

ABC News' Dana Hughes, Gina Sunseri and Polson Kanneth contributed to this report.

#2 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,809 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

If they had listened to Stormin' Norman back in 1991 they wouldn't have had to go back in years later.

It's a pity all the ex-Vietnam generals are all retiring or passing away, because the US is making all the same mistakes it made after Korea and before Vietnam. It's trying to use expensive technology instead using flexible, well trained, and well equipped troops thinking that drones, and other technology will solve all the problems.

Guess what? That doesn't work when you're faced with car bombs, and having to go house to house looking for your enemies.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 27 December 2012 - 11:06 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#3 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

A man who lived for War honoured

#4 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

They won the first gulf war? Could have fooled me.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#5 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Perhaps inappropriate timing for a Spaceballs reference but all I can think of is, "I See Your Schwartz Is as Big as Mine!"
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#6 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

The objective was to oust saddam from kuwait. A JOB WELL DONE so yes they won. the 2nd war the objective was to remove saddam from power. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

S!

In case you guys don't know it but the USA has pulled out of Iraq and combat operations ended quite some time ago.

Edited by Dittohead, 28 December 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#7 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

nvm

Edited by Dittohead, 28 December 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#8 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,402 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

You must not have been watching.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I wonder how many popes, senators and general are burning in hell with him.
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#10 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

douche

#11 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,402 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Judge not lest ye be judged?

Oh that must not apply here
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.