The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should make preparations for Connor Mcdavid

RAMBUTANS

Lol no way a bottem feeding team who finishes last will give up a first overall pick for a couple seasons of the twins who would be already starting to decline when they would much rather have a potential future franchise superstar for 15+ seasons if he chooses to stay.

Even the Sedins for Crosby straight up would be declined by the Penguins.

Doubt it... Could you imagine the twins and Malkin? F*ckin scary!

The only way to get premium prospect is to give up premium players. A couple of more years is ample time to see if we can get the elusive cup. After that, Plan B. Re-tool for the next generation. That is what I think is the Canucks' error, they let older guys retire or become UFAs without getting anything of value for them via trade.

• 1 year later...

Controversial thread I knew would be coming. Few people would want to risk everything to tank, rebuild from scratch, etc.

But, as an outside-the-box thinker (and a controversial one), I think yeah the Nucks could perhaps dump all their star players for draft picks and sink to the bottom of the standings next season. Aim to get two top-five picks including first overall in 2015 to get McDavid and rebuild around him. It won't be easy, because Sedins and Edler have NTCs. No guarantee that the teams they go to will give you picks that turn up top-fives, even if you sink to the bottom, no guarantee of first overall. Even if you get McDavid, it'll be at least three years until you contend for a cup and you got to get the right pieces in place.

Dubbed as the next big thing since Crosby, the Canucks will have to do everything they can to get this guy to continue what the twins have started, dominance of the NHL.

Unlike others, I do not make threads just for the heck of it, I provide solutions/recommendations.

If we are lucky enough, we may be able to snag Mcdavid and add him to our revitalization of prospects. By 2015, when Connor is eligible, Mackinnon and Jones are ready (see other thread on my take on how to get the 2).

OK, to be able to get the 1st overall in 2015, its either we tank, which wont happen, so the next thing to do is trade assets.

By 2015, if we havent won the cup, it means the window is closed. Therefore, I suggest we use the twins and a prospect like Jensen to get that no. 1 pick. I know its a bold move but if you really think about it, it really makes sense. Hopefully, if we pull the trigger on this, we already won the Cup in 2013 or 2014 or both.

Thoughts?

We won't outsuck the Oilers even if we sucked so bad that we couldn't win games. The Oilers are the masters of sucking and getting the 1st overall pick year after year. And if Oilers get the 1st overall pick, you damn sure they will pick another forward and it would be McDavid.

All we would have to do is replace Luongo and Lack with a bad goalie, and maybe trade Hamhuis or Tanev and the tanking would happen almost immediately.

This team is only as good as Luongo and Lack.

Holy crap Deniro. I agree with you. The thing is Loungo is on his last legs. He is old for his age because his many years in the league and you can see that now with the numerous injuries he is experiencing. Hamhuis is the most underrated Canucks I still believe the 2011 Stanley Cup turned on the Hamhuis injury. Tanev is a very solid young DMan in the Hamhuis meld and the Canucks need to lock him up longterm as their number one priority. Really, they disrespected him this past offseason and got away with it because no team was smart enough to put a offer sheet in for him. (Yes I am talking directly to you McTavish and the Oilers). But keeping Tanev longterm this offseason is priority number one if I was GM.

Controversial thread I knew would be coming. Few people would want to risk everything to tank, rebuild from scratch, etc.

But, as an outside-the-box thinker (and a controversial one), I think yeah the Nucks could perhaps dump all their star players for draft picks and sink to the bottom of the standings next season. Aim to get two top-five picks including first overall in 2015 to get McDavid and rebuild around him. It won't be easy, because Sedins and Edler have NTCs. No guarantee that the teams they go to will give you picks that turn up top-fives, even if you sink to the bottom, no guarantee of first overall. Even if you get McDavid, it'll be at least three years until you contend for a cup and you got to get the right pieces in place.

This did occur to me though: if the Panthers get the first overall pick this season, I say trade Luongo there for that pick, and three more first rounders, plus a roster player (don't care whom). From the Panthers' point of view, they already have one of the best stockpiles of young talent in the league, and picking Griffin Reinhart (projected top prospect) won't make them better. Getting a goaltender who wants to be in Florida, plus better coaching, would make them better.

On the Canucks, they can draft Sam Reinhart, slated to be the next Steve Yzerman - and can compete with McDavid if they were in the same draft class. Anything Reinhart lacks in offensive ability vs. McDavid, he more than makes up for that with his two-way play and better physicality. Better still, Reinhart is from Vancouver - a son of former Canuck defenseman Paul Reinhart, in fact.

In short, this deal would make everyone happy - Luongo returns to Florida, Reinhart gets picked by Vancouver, Panthers take a big step toward rounding out their team and rebounding. Main real problem though is Canucks need to replace Luongo somehow.

You can suggest any course of action you want from here but my preferred (and I know unpopaular) course of action would be to trade off Sedins, Edler, Kesler for draft picks, start a full rebuild through the draft (and just maybe, Vancouver could get McDavid). Just maybe, they could have found a goaltender in the rebuilding draft (with like three first-rounders for five years following the trades), or they could potentially lure Carey Price here in free agency if he hasn't won anything in Montreal and would take a hometown discount for a shot at Lord Stanley.

The only chance we get McDavid is he announce to the rest of the league that he will only report to the Canucks. lol

Maybe Gillis should hire one of those hypnotists that can control the mind of other people. I mean he is spending all this money on sleep therapist, psychologists and motivational speakers so why not.

Maybe Gillis should hire one of those hypnotists that can control the mind of other people. I mean he is spending all this money on sleep therapist, psychologists and motivational speakers so why not.

or just have Bure to give him a call instead... :bigblush:

Archived