105 replies to this topic

#1 jagori78

jagori78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I think the best thing if there is a season is for the Canucks to keep both goaltenders. At the end of the season, Vancouver can buy-out Luongo and not have it count against the cap.

Now, Luongo will still receive his salary for the rest of the deal, but I think Aquilini should be able to cover this cost. Aquilini already ends up paying $10 million of his profits to Phoenix and the other "revenue sharing" teams. He probably doesn't care if this money goes to Phoenix, or to Luongo. If it were me, I'd rather Luongo get the money.

Just to be sneaky, whos to say Luongo doesn't get bought out, then re-signed at a "normal" salary? Maybe that's cap circumvention. For that matter, Luongo get's much easier to trade. Toronto has no problem buying Luongo out either, because they pay even more money in revenue sharing.

#2 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

I would rather buyout Ballard since Luongo is more tradeable.
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#3 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

buy Luongo out and get nothing for him in return? :shock:

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#4 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

My money would be on Booth or Ballard being bought out first.

Booth gets bought out if we don't resign Elder, Ballard if we do.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

buyout luongo then trade his rights to florida. They can then negotiate a deal they like and we will get bjugstad

#6 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

buyout luongo then trade his rights to florida. They can then negotiate a deal they like and we will get bjugstad

Doesn't work like that.

If the Canucks buy him out - he is UFA
Posted Image

#7 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

We don't know

I suspect any gamesmanship like that won't be allowed - players would likely become UFA's. If there is a buyout it makes more sense to buyout ballard but I think even he can draw some prospects/a draft pick from any of

Anaheim
Calgary
Islanders
Tampa
New Jersey
Columbus
Maybe even Edmonton (could use a vet dman who can still play and is not that old, in fact he'd fit in nicely there)

So, I dont think there is any need on the nucks to buy anyone out at this point.

#8 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Why would we do that? He actually holds value.

Ballard on the other hand...

#9 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

There is already a deal waiting for Luongo when the lockout is over. Also, Luongo has a decent cap hit and is tradeable, so no, not the best idea at all in my opionion.
Posted Image

#10 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Would rather buy out Ballard, Luongo is a good goalie and actually has trade value.

#11 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm really curious to see how this will effect his trade value. Does Luongo now become viewed a rental player by more teams?
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#12 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

I would actually put my money on it being more likely to buy out Booth. He hasn't meshed with Kesler and hasn't been embraced by the fans.

With other teams being able to buy out players there will be a ton of very serviceable top 6 forwards who were on a bad deal arpund to be signed. Ballard hasn't been great, but he is still a legitimate NHL defenceman, and those are pretty rare. Most teams don't have more than 4-5 guys who can be relied upon to eat up minutes.

Unless the backdiving clause ends up being really punitive on Luongo's contract, I don't see us buying him out. If the rules let us do it all the way through to nextd July 10th... then we definitely keep him for a compressed season as injury insurance in the event a trade doesn't get worked out.

Edited by Provost, 28 December 2012 - 02:15 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#13 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Ballard first.

Booth is fine. Management and coaching staff know we need a power forward in the top 6 even if he disappoints, and even if he is not a real power forward.
Posted Image

#14 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Luongo is not going to be bought it. He will be traded.

#15 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Schneider will need stability. His GAA and save percentage right now is not better than Luongo all time and he has no real experience. You ant-Luongo hopefuls will be eating your words once hockey gets going again. Trading Luongo will come back to hurt the Canucks in their soft spots.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#16 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Luongo has trade value, he will be traded, not bought out. And as for buying out Booth that is even dumber, we are already lacking another top 6 player so lets get rid of Booth for nothing then have 2 gapping holes along side an injury prone Kesler. Yeah makes perfect sense to me... Just because the option could be there to buy out a player doesnt mean the team should excercise those options.
Posted Image

#17 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Schneider will need stability. His GAA and save percentage right now is not better than Luongo all time and he has no real experience. You ant-Luongo hopefuls will be eating your words once hockey gets going again. Trading Luongo will come back to hurt the Canucks in their soft spots.

Schneider has earned his spurs and has improved to the point that he is now better than Lou. His stats last year reflect his vast improvement and increased knowledge of NHL calibre shooters. Don't sell him short, the guard is changing and you need to change with it. Lou will be leaving, get on the bus !

#18 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Buy out Luongo or Booth??? Why would we do that? Even my 5 year old knows those are bonehead asset management moves.

#19 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

um,,,so Cory has a 2.24 gaa and .928 sv % during regular season, 1.91 playoff gaa with a .940 sv %
Lu has a 2.52 regular season gaa with a .919 sv % and 2.53 career playoff gaa with .916 sv%
so,,,yes Cory's numbers are quite a lot better than Lu's career numbers.

#20 Crying Peter Parker

Crying Peter Parker

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

um,,,so Cory has a 2.24 gaa and .928 sv % during regular season, 1.91 playoff gaa with a .940 sv %
Lu has a 2.52 regular season gaa with a .919 sv % and 2.53 career playoff gaa with .916 sv%
so,,,yes Cory's numbers are quite a lot better than Lu's career numbers.

Um so Cory played alot less games than Lu in the regular season;therefore, his stats cant be taken at equal value. What concerns me is can Cory play 60+ games a season and perform that good.

#21 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Keeping Luongo for half a season and trading him in the summer is the better move.

We need our goalie tandem if there is a season, because Lack is injured and not quite ready for prime time IMO.

Edited by DeNiro, 28 December 2012 - 04:51 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#22 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

It is all going to depend on how the new CBA deals with back diving contracts. If there is no way to get rid of a contract by sending them to the minors, or even if a player retires they still account against the cap, then it is almost 100% guaranteed they will buy out Luongo because after this season contracts like Ballard and Booth will have a couple years left, where if Lu is going to cost us 5.3 mill for another 9 seasons, it will be used on Lu.

#23 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Still a few stubborn Luongonites singing the same old song, standing firm against all hope and rationality.

#24 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Let's not be rash and buy out anyone just yet, let's wait and see how it goes down. If it works for us buy them out, if not let's trade them. Even a seventh round pick is better than just dropping them off to the free agency. that is unless there is a gem in the free agency and we are 100% sure we can acquire them.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#25 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,288 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Luongo for a good return.

Keep Ballard.

Subbancopy.jpg

#26 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I think the best thing if there is a season is for the Canucks to keep both goaltenders. At the end of the season, Vancouver can buy-out Luongo and not have it count against the cap.

Now, Luongo will still receive his salary for the rest of the deal, but I think Aquilini should be able to cover this cost. Aquilini already ends up paying $10 million of his profits to Phoenix and the other "revenue sharing" teams. He probably doesn't care if this money goes to Phoenix, or to Luongo. If it were me, I'd rather Luongo get the money.

Just to be sneaky, whos to say Luongo doesn't get bought out, then re-signed at a "normal" salary? Maybe that's cap circumvention. For that matter, Luongo get's much easier to trade. Toronto has no problem buying Luongo out either, because they pay even more money in revenue sharing.

I think Ballard would be a better buyout. I don't hate him as a player, but at 4.2 million for three more years we just can't afford to keep him with the way he's been playing and the role he's given.

Luongo has at least some trade value. Ballard has none.

Edited by bossram, 28 December 2012 - 07:12 PM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#27 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

delete

Edited by bossram, 28 December 2012 - 07:10 PM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#28 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

BUYOUT!!! BUYOUT!!! BUYOUT!!!

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#29 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Keeping Luongo for half a season and trading him in the summer is the better move.

We need our goalie tandem if there is a season, because Lack is injured and not quite ready for prime time IMO.

The only thing that could be a bigger controversy then the NY Jets quarterback situation would be
The Luongo, Schneider goaltending situation.

#1 Luongo doesn't want to play here.

Buying him out may actually happen.

If he does suit up for the nucks, his regular October slow starts will look like vintage Dominic Hasek in Comparision.
His value will be = to Wade Redden by mid Feb and the Vancouver media will be a wild, blood thirsty, school of piranha.

I really hope this buyout is going to be a part of the new CBA cause it may be our only option. This is all worst case of course. It would be great if he got his act together and sucked it up to add to his value. I just have my doubts.

And for those who say we should buy out Booth give your head a shake, the guy had bad injury luck and a puck hog center man.
David Booth will succeed.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#30 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Lu's getting traded away, we don't need his cap space sitting on the bench.

Who's replacing Booth and or Ballard when we give them up for no return, unless cap space is the return???
I don't think they're going anywhere outside of possible trades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.