The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Amnesty buyout

jagori78

I think the best thing if there is a season is for the Canucks to keep both goaltenders. At the end of the season, Vancouver can buy-out Luongo and not have it count against the cap.

Now, Luongo will still receive his salary for the rest of the deal, but I think Aquilini should be able to cover this cost. Aquilini already ends up paying $10 million of his profits to Phoenix and the other "revenue sharing" teams. He probably doesn't care if this money goes to Phoenix, or to Luongo. If it were me, I'd rather Luongo get the money.

Just to be sneaky, whos to say Luongo doesn't get bought out, then re-signed at a "normal" salary? Maybe that's cap circumvention. For that matter, Luongo get's much easier to trade. Toronto has no problem buying Luongo out either, because they pay even more money in revenue sharing.

I would actually put my money on it being more likely to buy out Booth. He hasn't meshed with Kesler and hasn't been embraced by the fans.

With other teams being able to buy out players there will be a ton of very serviceable top 6 forwards who were on a bad deal arpund to be signed. Ballard hasn't been great, but he is still a legitimate NHL defenceman, and those are pretty rare. Most teams don't have more than 4-5 guys who can be relied upon to eat up minutes.

Unless the backdiving clause ends up being really punitive on Luongo's contract, I don't see us buying him out. If the rules let us do it all the way through to nextd July 10th... then we definitely keep him for a compressed season as injury insurance in the event a trade doesn't get worked out.

Schneider will need stability. His GAA and save percentage right now is not better than Luongo all time and he has no real experience. You ant-Luongo hopefuls will be eating your words once hockey gets going again. Trading Luongo will come back to hurt the Canucks in their soft spots.

Luongo has trade value, he will be traded, not bought out. And as for buying out Booth that is even dumber, we are already lacking another top 6 player so lets get rid of Booth for nothing then have 2 gapping holes along side an injury prone Kesler. Yeah makes perfect sense to me... Just because the option could be there to buy out a player doesnt mean the team should excercise those options.

Schneider will need stability. His GAA and save percentage right now is not better than Luongo all time and he has no real experience. You ant-Luongo hopefuls will be eating your words once hockey gets going again. Trading Luongo will come back to hurt the Canucks in their soft spots.

Archived