The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Amnesty buyout

jagori78

I think the best thing if there is a season is for the Canucks to keep both goaltenders. At the end of the season, Vancouver can buy-out Luongo and not have it count against the cap.

Now, Luongo will still receive his salary for the rest of the deal, but I think Aquilini should be able to cover this cost. Aquilini already ends up paying $10 million of his profits to Phoenix and the other "revenue sharing" teams. He probably doesn't care if this money goes to Phoenix, or to Luongo. If it were me, I'd rather Luongo get the money.

Just to be sneaky, whos to say Luongo doesn't get bought out, then re-signed at a "normal" salary? Maybe that's cap circumvention. For that matter, Luongo get's much easier to trade. Toronto has no problem buying Luongo out either, because they pay even more money in revenue sharing.

if i were luongo, I'd refuse to be traded to any team, wait for the canucks to buy him out and then he gets to sign with whomever he wants while pocketing a huge paycheque from his buy out just to shove it up management, fans and medias a$$. sure you can bench him or sit him in the minors, don't think the owner is stupid enough to pay him 7mil a year to play in the minors. I mean why would Luongo want to do anything to benefit or help this team when they are trying so hard to run him out of the city to begin with? Luongo can't win regardless playing in vancouver anyways so might as well screw them over. if he wins it's inspite of him. if he lose it's all his fault. this is going to be a win win situation for Luongo if he truly holds personal vendetta towards the city and management.

In the amnesty buyout, each team would receive he right to buy out one player. That is only a maximum of thirty players, including left wingers, centers, defensemen and goaltenders who could potentially be bought out, there would not be that many RWs available via amnesty buyout.

Yes, Ballard's contract needs to be bought out, and perhaps we can even offer him another one at a more fair rate... But if any goalie HAS to go, i rather it be Schneider. He hasn't proven anything, and I don't want to take the risk of putting all our eggs in his basket. I have much more faith in Lu to take us where we need to be! And i would make that decision 9 times out of 10

I echo this, add to it in fact because of the demands of a shorter season!

Imagine however if Lou was devious about it???

"Trade me to Florida or I'll block any and every other trade!" So we end up buying him out, he collects 100% of his salary and then signs a new UFA deal. Even if its less money on the new contract he is in effect getting paid on two; and controls his destiny!

I can see why the owners do not want a buyout clause!

Keeping Luongo for half a season and trading him in the summer is the better move.

We need our goalie tandem if there is a season, because Lack is injured and not quite ready for prime time IMO.

I agree 100% with this notion. I am not sold on Schneider. I believe AV called off the series early as it was obvious the Canucks would not pass the Kings in the first round, thereby increasing Schneider's value for future trade by playing him for the last games.

Luongo is a Canucks for life.

The only thing that could be a bigger controversy then the NY Jets quarterback situation would be

The Luongo, Schneider goaltending situation.

#1 Luongo doesn't want to play here.

Buying him out may actually happen.

If he does suit up for the nucks, his regular October slow starts will look like vintage Dominic Hasek in Comparision.

His value will be = to Wade Redden by mid Feb and the Vancouver media will be a wild, blood thirsty, school of piranha.

I really hope this buyout is going to be a part of the new CBA cause it may be our only option. This is all worst case of course. It would be great if he got his act together and sucked it up to add to his value. I just have my doubts.

And for those who say we should buy out Booth give your head a shake, the guy had bad injury luck and a puck hog center man.

David Booth will succeed.

if i were luongo, I'd refuse to be traded to any team, wait for the canucks to buy him out and then he gets to sign with whomever he wants while pocketing a huge paycheque from his buy out just to shove it up management, fans and medias a$$. sure you can bench him or sit him in the minors, don't think the owner is stupid enough to pay him 7mil a year to play in the minors. I mean why would Luongo want to do anything to benefit or help this team when they are trying so hard to run him out of the city to begin with? Luongo can't win regardless playing in vancouver anyways so might as well screw them over. if he wins it's inspite of him. if he lose it's all his fault. this is going to be a win win situation for Luongo if he truly holds personal vendetta towards the city and management.

I don't think Booth is a terrible player, but there is little argument that he and Kesler just aren't meshing. Kesler is part of the core group so any players on his line have to be complimentary to his skill set. He is a recent Selke winner so saying he isn't good is ridiculous.

I would give Booth another year and pick up Huselius as their winger on the cheap. If they can't turn into a line with a pure passer, then there is no hope and Booth has to go.

I see no need to buy out anyone, anytime soon.

Is there a smallt window of time in which a team has to buy out a contract once the new CBA is signed? I don't recall this being mentioned in any discussions regarding buyouts (if there is, do let me know. I haven't been keeping up on this topic). Yes, if a team has a bad contract and a player who is under performing (neither of which apply to Luongo) and they need to get rid of him, sure a buyout sooner would be better. Gomez at $7+ million for another two years, Lecavalier at $7.7+ for another 7 years, Di Pietro at $4.5million for another 8 years, heck, even Chara's last couple of years might be bought out, depending on his performance level.

In Luongo's case, might not the Canucks reserve the right to buy out his contract after he was traded, and then retired in another five or so years? He would no longer affect the Canucks cap until such that time.

As to buying out Booth or Ballard, why? They are both good players, who each have only two years left on their current deals. If they have to be moved for cap reasons (and I'm not sure that there is such a need, assuming the Luongo trade and depending on what comes back for him) there is time and opportunity to in which to do so.

regards,

G.

Kalamazoo! :bigblush:

But seriously, Lou has said he would move if it helped the team (or kept him in a position he is more comfortable with is probably closer to the truth). I toyed with Lou holding out in this thread as well. But i Believe he has too much pride.

I doubt it will be a problem.

You may have just got yourself added to the Feds watch list.... LOL. Take a deep breath put down the gun and walk away.

But seriously the Canucks can afford to send him to the wolves, and if he tried to pull anything like that I would love to see him sit and rot there. Chicago fans would love nothing more then the chance to boo him every game. Lou would agree to be traded to any team within a week.

Yes, Ballard's contract needs to be bought out, and perhaps we can even offer him another one at a more fair rate... But if any goalie HAS to go, i rather it be Schneider. He hasn't proven anything, and I don't want to take the risk of putting all our eggs in his basket. I have much more faith in Lu to take us where we need to be! And i would make that decision 9 times out of 10

Archived