The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shaw HD Box

Ice.Tea*

I'm with Shaw. I only watch HD channels. Just call Shaw and they will send a tech out, he'll do everything that needs to be done. If you are impatient and want it tomorrow then go to a Shaw outlet and pick up a box, plug it in and call Shaw with serial number.

You can do everything online. After getting the box just go onto shaw's website and it's pretty straightforward from there.

if you run into any problems, just google it.

And why watch SD channels if you're going to buy an HD box? Seems like an ironic moment waiting to happen.

The point of getting a HD box would be to watch HD channels, no?

Definitely, the HD channels are way better.

Unless there are certain channels that don't have an HD equivalent or that you are not subscribed to, always try to watch in HD

And yeah you can activate the box online. It's almost instantaneous. I think mine started working about 5 minutes after I activated it

Funny watching people zoom their SD feed to fit their HDTV, and then try to tell you they have HD.

I am on Dish Network with their Hopper system and Sling enabled. For most of their channels we can only receive the HD feed-- about 98% of all the channels available are HD. Most SD channels are either local or public broadcasting based, like NASA tv.

By the way, Shaw stores have the PVR's on sale right now.

I personally just have the HD basics of Global, CTV, NBC, CNN, TSN, TSN 2, Sportsnet, Discovery, and a bunch more because thats all I ever watch, so it's good enough for me.

You could always go a week or two and see what you watch mainly and then see what packages/channels you need.

Shaw sucks. We recently switched from MTS to Shaw because of them offering the option of recording more HD channels at once, but now my family has slower Internet and weaker WiFi that cuts out whenever our house gets a phone call. So annoying.

I have a 55" samsung 7100, what packages do you guys have for shaw? Is the "Personal TV + Best of HD" any good?

Thanks

Depends what you watch mostly but the two you mentioned should have you pretty well covered. You'll get all your sports channels in HD as well as news, all the tv shows, and good movie channels too.

The Shaw modems aren't the greatest for WiFi.

I would recommend having Shaw set you up with a wired modem or to bridge your current wireless modem and purchase a really good 3rd party router for ~100-150 dollars if you are having issues.

Shaw as an ISP has the best internet in North America, unfortunately the wireless itself on their modems isn't the greatest. The speed is there it just has bad wifi in most cases.

Some great 3rd party routers:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=68505&vpn=RT-N66U&manufacture=Others

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59257&vpn=RT-N56U&manufacture=ASUS (I have this and I get wifi signal in the parking garage of my condo building - I'm on the 8th floor and it's a concrete/steel building)

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=64318&vpn=WNDR4500-100NAS&manufacture=Netgear

Archived