The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

You clearly didn't comment on either of those things in your post and pretty much made a general statement. Her movies have been just as decent as her acting.

i guess technically i don't KNOW if she chose those roles, maybe she was 'forced' into them through financial troubles or something. i'm willing to live with the presumption that she willingly chose those movies to be a part of, though

but saying 'she's been in terrible movies for 15 years' has implicit meaning that she has poor taste, based on my value judgment

if you don't share that opinion that's cool, glad you enjoyed them

anyway

magic in the moonlight: 7/10

tough to say if i enjoyed this one because it's a good movie, or if my expectations were rock bottom that i was pleasantly surprised. the first Woody Allen movie i haven't seen in its theatrical run in aaaages.

i read some RT bits which commented on the lack of humour, which i agree with. the movie isn't funny at all, but i'm not sure it's aiming for big or even consistent laughs anywhere. so whatever. instead of being funny, though, it had a lot of charm. it's a totally pleasant movie, even despite its cynical and clinical character(s)

Colin Firth is, IMO, the best actor around. no real display from him here though. an aesthete would probably enjoy the movie just because of his outfits

not one i'd recommend easily, but those of you who can enjoy Allen's "lesser works" will probably like this one.

Predestination 4/10

Half the movie takes place in a bar with two people yapping, then the other half things actually happen. Story is decent and a little more original as far as time travel stories go, but overall, I find the RT ratings it got completely unjustifiable. The movie sucks.

Edited by Mr. Ambien

getting HYPED for Foxcatcher, so I re-watched..

Capote: 9/10

the ONLY negative i have about this movie is how slow the first bit moves. it's only two hours, but it sorta feels like three

that said, everything else about the movie, IMO, is utterly perfect. beautiful camera work, and soundtrack. stellar performances from literally everyone. great dialogue... i dunno, pretty phenomenal movie, although I can see how a lot of people would find it super, super dreary or boring. gotta be in the mood for it

The new Hunger Games movie

Chick-flick/10

Jennifer Lawrence spent too much time channelling Sandra Bullock's whining from Gravity.

Film tries to carry a political message but the acting and story never seem to make you believe that the characters have much going on upstairs. Some scenes were painful and pointless.

Don't watch this film if you don't want Natalie Dormer to be ruined for you.

Guardians of the Galaxy - 6/10

Meh. Some good action scenes, but I don't get the hype. Maybe I'm just sick to death of superhero movies.

Wow. You would be in the minority for sure. A lot of us here loved it and so do the reviews on rotten tomatoes, giving it higher than 90% ratings by critics & users

Guardians is well scripted, hilarious, action packed and well acted.

9/10 easy

Wow. You would be in the minority for sure. A lot of us here loved it and so do the reviews on rotten tomatoes, giving it higher than 90% ratings by critics & users

Guardians is well scripted, hilarious, action packed and well acted.

9/10 easy

I understand where he's coming from, even though I enjoyed it.

And you can't trust Rotten Tomatoes when it comes down to personal opinion. For instance, RT gave The Avengers a 92%, but I would give it a solid "Snoozefest/10". Thor was also a 77%, and that was dumb as f*ck.

As for Guardians of the Galaxy, I believe I gave it an 8/10, so it was definitely better than most superhero films that come out. And to be fair to D-Money, a 6/10 rating on a superhero film is quite high for him.

Edited by Monty

Guardians of the Galaxy - 6/10

Meh. Some good action scenes, but I don't get the hype. Maybe I'm just sick to death of superhero movies.

I completely agree. It's one of those movies we've seen to death already a thousand times before. Lame cliche after lame cliche.

Housebound - 8/10

A surprising little New Zealand(ish?) movie about some bratty daughter forced under house arrest to live back again with her mom, as she starts to see the ghost that she says is living there. Mostly a comedy and a thriller, with elements of horror.

It has some massive gaps in logic, but they can be ignored, for what kind of movie it is. I started off wondering what the point was, and hoping that the main character would shut up, but it caught me as the movie went on. It had a really odd sense of humour, and the movie doesn't play anything straight. Yet it can manage that with some fairly decent character development and maturation.

So twenty years ago my good friend and I ventured into Park & Tilford Theatres in North Van to watch Dumb and Dumber and absolutely pissed ourselves laughing for days. Still to this day, one of my fave comedies ever.

Soooooo we thought, even after seeing the reviews, we'd go see the sequel. Same theatre twenty years later.... awwww....

Holy eff. It was absolutely horrendous. Kinda saw it coming, but didn't realize how bad it was gonna be.

Also, saw Guardians finally. Looooooved it. Very funny stuff!

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - 7/10

I actually enjoyed this one more than the other 2. Had a little more character development. Haven't (and won't) read the books, so I'm not sure how things unfold compared to the films, but this one had quite a few plot holes and misfires that really brought my rating down.

I enjoyed myself more than I did in the first two, though.

The new Hunger Games movie was easily the worst of the movies I've seen all year - 2/10

GOTG was pretty good, lot of wierd lines however - 8.2/10.

Interstellar - 9.5/10 - really love the soundtrack of this movie. Matt Damon scenes pulled the rating down, along with some others.

Days of Future Past - a lot better than the other X-men movies - 7.9/10

Winter Soldier - really liked this one - 8.4/10

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - not as good as the last one but still enjoyable. Will probably rewatch in a year or so 8.6/10

Fury: 7/10

thought it was really good (maybe even great) until the last 30 minutes. a couple of really great scenes of dramatic tension, but i thought the action sequences were just a bit too much. sometimes less is more

still good movie though

Edited by GLASSJAW