The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Just now, J.R. said:

So not the formulaic garbage full of soulless pop music the trailer made it look like?

There was one song that they played at least 3 times throughout the film, and that was it. Otherwise, better than most garbage children films they are releasing these days. 

Just finished watching Batman Vs Superman.

I honestly don't understand the hate that the movie received. I enjoyed it, and I thought it was much better than CA:Civil War(the worst of the Captain America trilogy imo).

I'll give it a 7.7/10.

It's my wife's birthday today, so she decided we should go see:

Marvel Film 26: It Never Ends

This was, without a doubt, the worst Marvel film of the series. That is, until the next hunk of sh*t rears its ugly head in a few weeks. That's right, literally weeks.

The Jungle Book. 9/10. 

Honestly I was not expecting it to be good, I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very good. The film did a very good job of capturing the story without stretching it too much as other movies have done *Cough Hobbit cough*. Also for once, the kid actor was actually good and not annoying. 

5 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

The Jungle Book. 9/10. 

Honestly I was not expecting it to be good, I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very good. The film did a very good job of capturing the story without stretching it too much as other movies have done *Cough Hobbit cough*. Also for once, the kid actor was actually good and not annoying. 

How closely does it follow Kipling's story?

They Live - 7/10

I feel like a complete tool for not watching this when I was growing up. So completely ridiculous. Definitely not one of John Carpenter's best, but it was enjoyable in its own, albeit, really weird way.

That fight scene between Piper and Keith David. What a thing of beauty.

12 hours ago, Monty said:

They Live - 7/10

I feel like a complete tool for not watching this when I was growing up. So completely ridiculous. Definitely not one of John Carpenter's best, but it was enjoyable in its own, albeit, really weird way.

That fight scene between Piper and Keith David. What a thing of beauty.

• Upvote 1

SW-Force Awakens 7/10

Hard to judge this one... It's definitely better than Ep I-III but they also didn't tread any terribly new ground either which was a bit disappointing. Though not surprising.

I quite liked Rey, though I wasn't particularly fond of Ren who came off is a bit of a sniveling, petulant little @#$% (and given who his father is, doesn't seem to fit IMO but rather seemed more convenient to fit a narrative).

I also quite liked the first ~half with the character development etc but then the finale seemed both a bit rushed and a smidge anti-climactic.

All in all it was a good, fun watch and had a comfortable Star Wars 'feel' to it which was probably the smart way to go. It has it's hooks in me enough that I'm interested to see another. Hopefully the middle episode of this series is also as strong as the original.

39 minutes ago, J.R. said:

SW-Force Awakens 7/10

Hard to judge this one... It's definitely better than Ep I-III but they also didn't tread any terribly new ground either which was a bit disappointing. Though not surprising.

I quite liked Rey, though I wasn't particularly fond of Ren who came off is a bit of a sniveling, petulant little @#$% (and given who his father is, doesn't seem to fit IMO but rather seemed more convenient to fit a narrative).

I also quite liked the first ~half with the character development etc but then the finale seemed both a bit rushed and a smidge anti-climactic.

All in all it was a good, fun watch and had a comfortable Star Wars 'feel' to it which was probably the smart way to go. It has it's hooks in me enough that I'm interested to see another. Hopefully the middle episode of this series is also as strong as the original.

Just because somebody has bold, strong parents doesn't mean their children will be strong.

Source: I am a spineless man child who has hard working parents.

anyway, I re-watched that recently and liked it a bit less than the first time, but I still enjoyed it a fair bit and am looking forward to the next installment

4 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Just because somebody has bold, strong parents doesn't mean their children will be strong.

Source: I am a spineless man child who has hard working parents.

anyway, I re-watched that recently and liked it a bit less than the first time, but I still enjoyed it a fair bit and am looking forward to the next installment

Fair enough, it was more the petulant aspect that stuck out for me, not 'strength' necessarily... I just have trouble seeing those parents raising that.

Batman vs Superman: complete utter garbage, nothing else to say. 0/10

Captain America: Civil War: best movie I've seen so far this year. Solid 8/10, plot holes bring it down.

Next up: X-men (can you tell I watch a lot of superhero movies?)

15 hours ago, riffraff said:

.......Then we wouldn't have much to say on the matter as I have never seen any of the saws

Ditto.

Watched Under the skin last night...wow :shock: 

It's so different from most modern movies I don't even know how to rate it or even if I should.

It's creepy. it's beautiful. It's stark yet the atmosphere is so thick at times it seems almost oppressive. It's completely original while at the same time reminding you of works of the 70's film making artists like Kubrick, Jodorosky etc. The score/sound effects are intense and constantly unnerving. 

I'm not entirely sure what I watched but I enjoyed the @#$% out of what it evoked and can't stop thinking of it. I'm intrigued to watch it again to see how many more details I can manage to absorb amongst the tidal waves of subtlety and commentary on our superficial tendencies.

If you even sometimes enjoy film as an art, you owe it to yourself to watch it. If you live and die by the latest comic book adaptation....maybe not.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1