The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Safety Not Guaranteed - 7/10

If you don't have a lot of time to kill and want to be entertained, Safety Not Guaranteed is the perfect film to watch in a pinch. Less than an hour and a half long, the story follows Aubrey Plaza, an intern who goes to a small town in Washington to track down and write a stroy about a man who placed an ad regarding time travel. I have to say, as much as I cannot stand Aubrey Plaza's same old character, she was actually enjoyable and not the same character she plays in Parks & Rec/Funny People. Definitely off-beat, this may not be for everyone. But it's a cute, funny, little rom-com.

I watched Les Miserables last night, it was ok. Some of the signing was a little corny but what do you expect for a musical. I'd give it a 6.5 - 7 ish.

Have you watched the older one (from 1998 or so) with Liam Neeson and Uma Thurman? Much better film IMO. Wasn't a big fan of the new one. The older Anna Karenina from around the same time was also much better IMO than the new one. Simple is better I think. Some directors try to put their own stamp on classics and make them too artsy fartsy.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - 4/10

What a disappointment this was. I'm not in the film biznatch, but if I were, I would wait until the very end (or never in this movies case) to reveal what the "monsters" looked like. Not only do you see them quickly into the film, but they don't look entirely frightening, even to a child.

Points for the film go towards Guy Pearce. He was recently in Lockout, which was also forgettable, but only watchable because he was in it. He wasn't particularly strong here, but it was nice to see him. Also, as much as people don't like Katie Holmes, she did a fine job. Didn't seem out of place at all, to be honest. As for the child actress, she was good too. In all, the acting was fine, but the stript wasn't terrific and the "monsters" were not scary at all.

Brick - 9.5/10

After several weeks of watching nothing but Star Trek TNG and Star Trek Enterprise on Netflix, my wife and I have been going on a movie rampage. All I have to say about Brick is, "Wow." The best description I can give of Brick is that it is like a private investigator story, set in modern day with high schoolers. After watching all of Rian Johnson's films, I can say in all honesty that Brick is the best one. I'm not going to give anything anyway, as it would be a shame for you to not watch a film that I would now put in my top 10 films of all time. Shame on me for thinking that Joseph Gordon-Levitts first good performance was in The Lookout. Brick is a superb film with absolutely fantastic writing. A must see.

Edited by Monty

Detachment with Adrian Brody 9/10

Horrible reviews on Rotten Tomato and pretty good reviews from IMDB.

This movie is right up my alley as my career goal is to be teacher, but also because the movie started out with a quote from the guy in my avatar picture Albert Camus. Anyone familiar with Camus I think will see this movie for what it is truly meant to represent, others will see this movie as just another knock against the American educational system. This movie is in my top 10 of all time films.

Argo - 8.5/10

Exactly the type of film I was expecting. Well shot, acted, and written. After The Town, I only expect great movies from director Ben Affleck. Worth watching, especially to see yet another great performance by Alan Arkin.

The Hobbit - 9/10

I liked it even better this time around then when I first watched it in theaters. It may be because I watched it on Blu-Ray with 24fps, or because I knew going in what to expect. But as an interpretation of The Hobbit, it is a terrific film.

I know I'm late to both of these movies but,

Memento: 9.5/10

It was simply riveting and had every inch of my brain trying to wrap around the plot... can't really say any more. Nolan is a genius.

The Prestige: 9.5/10

Jackman and Bale both shine in their roles, and Nolan directs yet another wonderful movie. There were so many different twists and turns, you have to keep piecing it together but the ending was done so perfectly and tied everything up.

Edited by Stick-in-Rink