The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Wreck-it Ralph 9/10. Loved how they were able to use the many video game characters we know and love into the game, good storyline and great animation. It makes me wish that there was still arcades around.

wtf

'classic' game characters were in the movie for like 5-7 mins total

wtf

'classic' game characters were in the movie for like 5-7 mins total

The references were put in as a subtle nod to gamers. It was done really well. I like that they weren't hamfisted in and made integral to the story. It would have ruined the movie.

The references were put in as a subtle nod to gamers. It was done really well. I like that they weren't hamfisted in and made integral to the story. It would have ruined the movie.

the movie itself is a totally run-of-the-mill underdog story that was marketed as a video game movie, cooome on

there's a reason why Disney crammed Sega and SNES characters into the official trailer and posters. integral to the plot? as you say, not at all. in fact, they don't even do anything throughout the movie. they are there to be seen, and that's about it. the plot itself isn't at all engaging or even interesting, so Disney tossed in a few mega-obvious video game references and two or three easter eggs for the mega nerds, and people act as if the movie is more than just a really, really loud race movie

i love how the IMDB forum and so many topics about it on RT were almost exclusively about which characters should make the cameo in the inevitable sequel. nobody seems to have anything to say about the movie itself, because there is nothing to say about it. instead they are just talking about the Aeris reference and how they hope Mario jumps through a sewer pipe in 3d, or something

the movie itself is a totally run-of-the-mill underdog story that was marketed as a video game movie, cooome on

there's a reason why Disney crammed Sega and SNES characters into the official trailer and posters. integral to the plot? as you say, not at all. in fact, they don't even do anything throughout the movie. they are there to be seen, and that's about it. the plot itself isn't at all engaging or even interesting, so Disney tossed in a few mega-obvious video game references and two or three easter eggs for the mega nerds, and people act as if the movie is more than just a really, really loud race movie

i love how the IMDB forum and so many topics about it on RT were almost exclusively about which characters should make the cameo in the inevitable sequel. nobody seems to have anything to say about the movie itself, because there is nothing to say about it. instead they are just talking about the Aeris reference and how they hope Mario jumps through a sewer pipe in 3d, or something

I don't think you understand what I was saying. I'm saying its good that they WEREN'T integral to the plot, which I really enjoyed. If you didn't thats your thing, but having Mario and Sonic running around as side characters would've totally sucked, no matter which way you look at it.

Edited by CAPSLOCK

The Awakening - 3/10

Takes a lot to make a good supernatural/horror movie nowadays. Being original is so tough for that genre, that I feel as though if people don't get it right, they really get it wrong. I appreciate what the writers were going for, but it just wasn't very interesting and there were no scares at all. Rebecca Hall started out fine, but then got quite bad as the movie dragged on. Avoid.

Django Unchained - 7/10

Not really sure what to add that people haven't already said. I do like the idea, somewhat (but not really) similar idea that Tarantino had with Inglorious Basterds. Jamie Foxx was really good, and I really can't stand him usually. Christoph Waltz ok, but as others have said, incredibly similar character to his in Basterds (at least, the way he presented himself).

The standout character for me was Sam Jackson. Was expecting his character to be a minor role, like in the last few Tarantino films. However, he really was prominant here, and absolutely stole all the scenes that he was in.

Oblivion 7/10

Just too many touches of other SCI-FI films for me to rate it any higher (Matrix and Independence Day etc).

That's with Cruise and Freeman, right? I might just be the only person in the world that doesn't like Morgan Freeman.