The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

hunter for the wilderpeople: 7.5/10

on one level, i really enjoyed this. i laughed out loud many times, a lotta good songs were featured, and it had a general satisfying pleasantness about it. on another level, it seems so excessively manufactured at times. like, it was almost tiring how everyone was this ultra quirky, deadpan, meta-indie, reference-laden character we've seen before. it's like a poor imitation of a Wes Anderson film at times. i can see why it would bug a LOTTA people. imo the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, tho

Gotta say, it's much, much better than Taika Waititi's earlier film, Eagle vs. Shark, which is one of the more obnoxious Sundance bait, Indie Lite movies from its time

Edited by GLASSJAW

On September 20, 2016 at 1:19 AM, Monty said:

The Blackest Orphan

Also known as Orphan Black. Just watched episode one and two. Not sure why I didn't start this years ago.

On September 20, 2016 at 1:45 AM, Beluga Whale said:

I'm in a similar boat. Just finished the first four episodes and I'm definitely hooked. 

Really incredible performances from the lead actress. Crazy how they're able to pull all those scenes off. 

Her Emmy win made you guys watch? LOL!

Yeah I binged all 4 seasons a while back. It's damn good, especially considering it's Canadian and mostly shot in Toronto downtown around my hood.

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:45 AM, Beluga Whale said:

I'm in a similar boat. Just finished the first four episodes and I'm definitely hooked. 

Really incredible performances from the lead actress. Crazy how they're able to pull all those scenes off. 

Finished episode 4 (or 5) yesterday. Yeah, her performances are really impressive. It's not even simply choosing a different accent, it's how she carries herself when she's walking, standing, sitting, etc that is truly impressive. Not only that, but my wife and I have noticed specific things like when her British character impersonates Beth (the cop) and she has to speak with an American accent. It's not a perfect accent, but we've noticed that she'll slip in a little British accent once in a while when she's portraying the cop. Reason why this is especially impressive is because the actress, who's from Regina, has to do a British accent and then slip in a not quite perfect American accent.

31 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Yeah I binged all 4 seasons a while back. It's damn good, especially considering it's Canadian and mostly shot in Toronto downtown around my hood.

Pretty much haha. I've had a few people tell me to watch it in the past but I never got around to it. Seeing it suddenly get a ton of praise after her Emmy made me finally give it a shot.

I'm almost done season 1 and it's great so far. Pretty much on the edge of my seat the entire time.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Finished episode 4 (or 5) yesterday. Yeah, her performances are really impressive. It's not even simply choosing a different accent, it's how she carries herself when she's walking, standing, sitting, etc that is truly impressive. Not only that, but my wife and I have noticed specific things like when her British character impersonates Beth (the cop) and she has to speak with an American accent. It's not a perfect accent, but we've noticed that she'll slip in a little British accent once in a while when she's portraying the cop. Reason why this is especially impressive is because the actress, who's from Regina, has to do a British accent and then slip in a not quite perfect American accent.

Spoiler

Her acting is so good sometimes I forget that all those characters are being played by only her. The subtle things she does with each character really makes them all feel like different people. 

And yeah the flipping between accents is done quite well. I love when she's playing a character who's trying to act like another character. She always pulls it off convincingly. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

I've actually tried to watch it over the past year. Downloaded the previous 3 seasons last year around this time. Totally forgot about it until the actress appeared on this Monday's Podcast of "Comedy Bang! Bang!". Didn't even know she was nominated for an Emmy, or that the Emmy's actually just happened, until I was listening to the CBB Podcast. At that time, thought it was time to watch it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

I'm almost done season 1 and it's great so far. Pretty much on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Usually the first couple episodes of anything takes a bit to get through. It's understandable because the show is trying to find it's footing. Which characters need more fleshing out and where to take the story. However, episode one (and two) were so good. At no point have I thought, "It's alright, but they need time to sort things out because obviously they're trying to work out the kinks." Every episode is on point.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Monty said:

Usually the first couple episodes of anything takes a bit to get through. It's understandable because the show is trying to find it's footing. Which characters need more fleshing out and where to take the story. However, episode one (and two) were so good. At no point have I thought, "It's alright, but they need time to sort things out because obviously they're trying to work out the kinks." Every episode is on point.

BINGO!!

EDIT: And we are so accustomed to the first few episodes of the last 2 seasons of Game of Thrones 'sorting things out'.....

Edited by Hugor Hill

39 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Hide contents

Her acting is so good sometimes I forget that all those characters are being played by only her. The subtle things she does with each character really makes them all feel like different people. 

And yeah the flipping between accents is done quite well. I love when she's playing a character who's trying to act like another character. She always pulls it off convincingly. 

Spoiler

I so agree with you on this: I love when she's playing a character who's trying to act like another character. And it's like an inside joke with the audience knowing that they are played by the same actress (so of course she can pretend to be another clone!) LOL!

Edited by Hugor Hill
  • Upvote 2

That Scream Queens season premiere was weird. Like really weird. The show kind of fell flat in it's season 1 finale, while also writing itself into a corner for a season 2. Then season 2 decided to open even more unnecessarily complicatedly.

On top of this hospital premise being inherently less interesting than the sorority/college one, This opening episode just wasn't funny.

Would recommend that recent mini-series "American Gothic", though. Watched that one over the summer, and it was a good watch. Starts off slowly, but as things click together towards the end, it made it worth it. It played out almost with the exact tone/pace/and twisty storytelling that every popular mystery writer's novels nowadays do. I don't know that there's any better way to explain it, even in terms of the number of characters, plot points, and length, it plays out like a mystery novel reads.

It's not the only mystery mini-series to exist, but it's the only one I've seen that does that. And I mean it in a very flattering way. I love reading mystery novels.

First season of African American Orphan was phenomenal. So, of course I followed that up with...

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Clam Ghostbusters - 0/10

Yup.

• Upvote 2

Everybody Wants Some!!   8/10

Watched half of this and turned it off. Even for Linklater, whose best movies meander with barely a plot (Slacker, Boyhood, the Before... trilogy), this felt aimless. It was like a collection of outtakes from a film that was never completed. But, butbutbut, it stuck with me and I finished it tonight, and kind of 'got it'. Impeccable acting, vivid dialogue, pitch perfect pacing in every scene; another of his explorations of time, in this case the little limbo window before a new era in the characters' lives opens. It does subtly exist as a mirror image to Dazed & Confused, or more like the opposite shore of a river that takes a lot longer to cross than expected.

ghostbusters (2016): 3.5/10

full disclosure: i enjoyed the first ghostbuster movies, but they have not aged well visually IMO. i even said in a post a few years ago that i would LIKE to see a sequel or a remake. i legitimately secretly had hopes that i would enjoy this movie, and went into it with an open mind despite not liking Feig or being thrilled with the cast.

but NOPE. i'm giving it points because I legitimately did laugh a few times, and i did think some of the ghosts looked cool (I know I'm in the minority for thinking those colourful, Disney-fied ghosts are neat looking) - but man oh man, this movie has so many unnecessary one-liners, so many terrible music moments, including the always-unfunny SNL-style "here's a  trashy old rap song, now watch these nerdy white girls dance like Beyonce to them" scene. the concert scene? horrible. that weird, tacked-on dimension scene? HORRIBLE. the terrible dancing sequences in the credits? AWFUL. the song re-mix in the middle of the film? jaysus have mercy

i also wanna say that Kate McKinnon's try-hard "swagger" was obnoxious. was she trying to be like a smarmy Bill Murray or something? and Leslie Jones tacking on totally obvious one-liners in the middle of action sequences was just annoying. idgi, she became part of the team because she "knows new york" - but she doesn't really use her knowledge for anything except pinpointing that a building used to be burial site or something? like, that's pretty much it?

surprised how much i enjoyed melissa mccarthy's character in this, though.

Edited by GLASSJAW

On 9/22/2016 at 0:42 PM, Monty said:

Clam Ghostbusters - 0/10

Yup.

If I recall, hating that movie for any reason makes you sexist, anti woman and a cave dwelling feminist hater.

But I agree, 1/10 tops.  My kids got excited to watch it and all they could say is they liked the 2nd one better.  8 and 5 years old and they preferred Ghostbusters 2...They tried way to hard, swore way to much and just fell flat all around.  McCarthy's attempt at a non McCarthy character wasn't terrible; the CGI was solid as all blockbusters almost always are good or bad (it's a good mask like make up on a 4) but this movie deserved all of the hate it got for good reasons.

Anyways, watched Sausage Party last night.

Wow...for sheer childish enjoyment 7/10 and now I can't stop thinking about Selma Hayek as a taco

Edited by Warhippy

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

If I recall, hating that movie for any reason makes you sexist, anti woman and a cave dwelling feminist hater.

But I agree, 1/10 tops.  My kids got excited to watch it and all they could say is they liked the 2nd one better.  8 and 5 years old and they preferred Ghostbusters 2...

Richard Roeper was ripped by some clam magazine for giving it a negative review. They said that him giving a negative review just shows that he has a male bias. He responded by saying that, "How insulting would it be to give a movie a pass simply for good intentions and diversity in casting?"

As for Ghostbusters 2? Just awful. But better than this rehashed, uninspired piece of garbage.

Just now, Monty said:

Richard Roeper was ripped by some clam magazine for giving it a negative review. They said that him giving a negative review just shows that he has a male bias. He responded by saying that, "How insulting would it be to give a movie a pass simply for good intentions and diversity in casting?"

As for Ghostbusters 2? Just awful. But better than this rehashed, uninspired piece of garbage.

That's why I chuckled at my kids liking it more.  It was an absolute piece of crap.  But it was better in both acting and format than this simplified fodder.

Every single negative thing I saw posted or written about this new reboot was immediately panned for being sexist.  Because not liking a movie based on merit and acting and script is sexist.

Next thing you know panning Megan Fox's acting ability will be sexist as well

Into the Forest: 4/10

This is what happens when a director reads a book, doesn't really get the main theme, but decides to make a movie out of it anyway.

Stars Ellen Page, but this time she wants to abort her sister's baby instead of keeping Juno's

The Good Neighbour: 7/10

A little too predictable, you get that you know the end result, but you don't know how you'll get there. Two kids trying to play a prank on an old, grouchy neighbour. 

Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates: 4/10

Literally everyone in the movie plays the exact same character they've ever played on any other show. I would probably rate lower but for a crush on Anna Kendrik.

Last Man on Earth is back tonight.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Last Man on Earth is back tonight.

First Will Farrell enters last season opener, only to die instantly, then this season

Spoiler

Jon Hamm gets shot to sh*t by his Mad Men wife. Fan-friggin-tastic!

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 1