The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

10 hours ago, Monty said:

But The Rock and Christina Milian were in it.

Jeez, I just looked at the rest of the cast to see who else was in that disaster. This was doomed from the start:

- Travolta

- Vince Vaughn

- Uma Thurman

- Cedric the Entertainer

- Andre Benjamin

- a slew of rock star cameos, headlined by Steven Tyler, Gene Simmons, and Fred Durst??????

Say what you will, but I enjoyed "Be Cool". A solid 6/10. Seeing The Rock play a flamer? Priceless.

On 9/28/2015 at 11:45 AM, Monty said:

I've only managed to watch it once, and it was a chore to get through. Now, that was 17 years ago (or so), so perhaps I'll feel differently now. The "hollow" comment is how I felt at the time. I've also never been a fan of Uma Thurman, so that didn't help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a movie, but

Black Mirror

British sci-fi tv show. Sort of a modern day Twilight Zone. Much darker, much more disturbing, and much, MUCH more vulgar. However, the 3 episodes I've watched so far are very good.

They all tend to comment on where our society is today and where it could (I use this lightly) potentially be heading (ie. news media & politics, reality tv, technology/implants). Like Twilight Zone, none of the episodes have the same cast, none of them flow together, and definitely appears that they take place a separate/alternate reality.

Like I said, it's very disturbing and dark, especially the first episode. Not for the faint of heart.

Started watching this series, and wow it's awesome. Really enjoyed "The Entire History of You".

• Upvote 1

Picnic At Hanging Rock 7/10

Australian movie from the 70s. Unsettling, slightly surreal. I guess based on a true story? Heard the name before but didn't really know what it was about. 4 girls wander off during a trip to a local mountain, one returns screaming, another is found passed out, the other two disappear forever. Sexuality is the obvious allegory but it felt more like an lsd metaphor with their weird acts/comments atop the mountain. Also brought to mind The Witch with the theme of colonialism butting heads with the wild landscape on the edge of the new world.  I liked the more dreamy first half, but it dragged and turned into a conventional mystery soap opera in the second

edit NYT has their original long review of it

Screen: Australian Hawthorne Romance:From Down UnderBy VINCENT CANBYPublished: February 23, 1979

Don't Breathe 2/10

Don't Bother. Was better when it was called The People Under The Stairs.

Edited by The Bookie

On 2016-10-21 at 3:35 AM, falcon45ca said:

Started watching this series, and wow it's awesome. Really enjoyed "The Entire History of You".

Watched the first two episodes of the new season on Netflix. So far, the Americanized version is just "ok". Certainly none of them are on the level of the UK version, but it is far from awful.

• Upvote 1

6.5/10-Swiss Army Man:

Beautifully shot, well made, and well acted. I genuinely cringed through most of this film. The subject matter of a romance between a dead body and a desperate man made me uncomfortable throughout this film. If your into that sort of thing along with constant farting then this is the film for you. There were some truly great moments in the movie but not enough to make me ever want to watch it again.  

2/10 Sausage Party:

This takes the mantle as the worst movie I have seen this year. The Vulgar tone of this move was so constant throughout that nothing was shocking or funny. i couldn't tell you where this film climaxes it was so monotone it was just boring. There was however one good sequence where the food all falls out of the cart the flour explodes and it turns into a food war zone scene.  Was very well done and the only reason I'm giving this movie a 2. Otherwize I'd say Seth just dragged this film down into a pit where it stayed for its entirety.    

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Watched the first two episodes of the new season on Netflix. So far, the Americanized version is just "ok". Certainly none of them are on the level of the UK version, but it is far from awful.

I watched the first episode, with Jon Hamm, and I really dug it. I've only seen the first 3 episodes of season 1 thus far, but it's great. Love the tone & feel to this series.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I watched the first episode, with Jon Hamm, and I really dug it. I've only seen the first 3 episodes of season 1 thus far, but it's great. Love the tone & feel to this series.

Yeah White Christmas with Jon Hamm is probably my favourite one.

As for the new season:

Episode 1 - Nosedive: 3.8 stars

Spoiler

Good episode. Not classic Black Mirror but the premise was strong despite it maybe being a bit over the top. I thought the lead actress was pretty good and the meltdown speech at the end was a great conclusion. At least this one had somewhat of a happy ending; I know the rest probably won't. :P

Everyone pandering to each other and being fake in order to be ranked higher was interesting to see. I guess this episode serves as a large exaggeration of contemporary society in many ways. 

Episode 2 - Playtest: 4.3 stars

Spoiler

Really good episode. The suspense really ramped up for the last half and the ending was wonderfully horrible. I kinda knew the final fear he would have to experience would have something to do with his father's Alzheimer's but I didn't realize right away that he was still in the simulation when he started losing his memories. Of course they had to give us a tease of a non depressing ending and then pull it away at the last second. 

Also kinda cool how pretty much every fear he experienced was somewhat hinted at during the first half of the show. This might be one I watch again later.

• Like 1

Favorite Black Mirror episode is "15 Million Merits". I know it's not everyone's fav, but still.

Of the first two episodes of the new season, the premise of the first episode is better, but Wyatt Russell's acting was terrific in the second. His acting alone made that one easier to watch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Favorite Black Mirror episode is "15 Million Merits". I know it's not everyone's fav, but still.

Of the first two episodes of the new season, the premise of the first episode is better, but Wyatt Russell's acting was terrific in the second. His acting alone made that one easier to watch.

15 Million Merits was really cool, that episode got me hooked.

• Upvote 1

The Purge Election Year  4.5/10

Why do I keep watching these. I retain nothing from them except a few static images. This one at least did have a couple of impressive long shots, or seemed to, it was probably cgi trickery but it was well done. The metaphorical hand is so heavy that it transcends being a metaphor - I think they were just like, hey, let's do our version of the current election!

• Upvote 1

Black Mirror:

Shut Up and Dance: 4/5 Stars

Spoiler

Holy crap that twist. I was absolutely gutted after that. 

San Junipero: 4/5 Stars

Spoiler

Easily the most beautiful episode in terms of story and visuals. Really cool concept and at least it didn't have another super depressing ending. 

Men Against Fire: 5/5 Stars

Spoiler

Man the twist in this one hit me hard when I figured it out. Another great concept with eugenics and the MASS system. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Black Mirror:

Shut Up and Dance: 4/5 Stars

Reveal hidden contents

Holy crap that twist. I was absolutely gutted after that. 

San Junipero: 4/5 Stars

Reveal hidden contents

Easily the most beautiful episode in terms of story and visuals. Really cool concept and at least it didn't have another super depressing ending. 

Men Against Fire: 5/5 Stars

Reveal hidden contents

Man the twist in this one hit me hard when I figured it out. Another great concept with eugenics and the MASS system. 

I'll be watching San Junipero and Men Against Fire tonight. But Shut Up and Dance was the first one this season that was in the same, twisted category as the UK version. It still isn't perfect or as good, but that episode seemed more in line with the British version.

• Upvote 1