The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Alien - 10/10

As terrific as the sequel is (which is terrific), I prefer the first one a little more. It had that "Jaws" feel to it, where they don't show the aforementioned "Alien" too much. Building that tension is what makes this such a great film.

And now, time for Alien 3 and Resurrection :picard: 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Inferno - 5/10

Same old tricks except more boring than its' predecessors. This boring POS made 220 million in the box office... when they revealed the whole conspiracy, I couldn't believe how little F I gave.

7e34fad4d893cc38d0ac7d1138a9f739_700x259

Watched this a few weeks ago.

The only thing I remember about it was what you already said, that "I couldn't believe how little f's I gave."

No joke. While films are largely meaningless (and I love them for it), this was just a nothing film.

On February 19, 2017 at 0:25 PM, Monty said:

Alien - 10/10

As terrific as the sequel is (which is terrific), I prefer the first one a little more. It had that "Jaws" feel to it, where they don't show the aforementioned "Alien" too much. Building that tension is what makes this such a great film.

And now, time for Alien 3 and Resurrection :picard: 

Why?

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

Alien 3 - 2/10

Alien Resurrection - This happens

IMG_1250.GIF

watched a segment of the dir cut for this recently. kinda funny, she actually made that shot on her first try, and the ron perlman broke character and started going crazy so they had to cut the shot immediately after haha

6 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

watched a segment of the dir cut for this recently. kinda funny, she actually made that shot on her first try, and the ron perlman broke character and started going crazy so they had to cut the shot immediately after haha

I remember watching a "Making Of" on HBO back in the late 90s when it was first released. They mentioned at the time that she got it on the first shot. Didn't know the part about Perlman breaking character, though.

Popstar: Never stop stopping - Comedy - 6.5/10

It's alright, had some funny moments.  If you're in a mood to watch a Beiber clone falling from grace then it might be for you.  It has a Seal cameo and several other celebrities appear in it.

Edited by Tre Mac

Everest(2015) - Drama - 6.5/10

Movie about a group of people climbing Mt. Everest in the 90's.  It's filmed well and makes it look like they're actually on a mountaintop during filming but it definitely helps if you don't know what happens in real life to that group.  I saw this on moviecentral so it's a decent Netflix/cable film.

The show Cardinal has been pretty great. Like HBO good. And it was made for CTV. It didn't need to be this good, but the people who created it have been killing it so far.

It has been acted very well. Written very well. And it was shot crazy well (like this is some of my favourite cinematography I've seen on TV)

I think it took some good cues from True Detective season 1. Though it has its own faults I don't think it carried over any from that show. 

The lulls in the show have come in the middle episodes of this mini-series, particularly when focusing on the killers point of view and story. They drag things down when they appear. But the set up and the execution by everything that bookends them has been great. Hard to focus on what was "meh", when episode 1 and 5 were as good as they were.

The finale. episode 6, is airing next week, and I can't wait. Would highly recommend the series. Again, it's way beyond any expectations I would place on a Canadian made production intended for a Canadian Network channel.

Get Out   8.5/10

Don't remember the last time I dragged my ass down to a packed theatre for opening night (Borat maybe) but when one of your favorite comics stealth drops a horror flick, you drag. I forgot how much fun it can be watching a movie in unison with a bunch of people jacked up for it. The genre splicing was perfect, to the point where the laughs and the scares were almost simultaneous. Lots of loose social subtext to chew on too. I'm only really docking it points for being a tad predictable plot wise, but even then there was a bit of a surprise twist I didn't see coming. 

5 hours ago, The Bookie said:

Get Out   8.5/10

Don't remember the last time I dragged my ass down to a packed theatre for opening night (Borat maybe) but when one of your favorite comics stealth drops a horror flick, you drag. I forgot how much fun it can be watching a movie in unison with a bunch of people jacked up for it. The genre splicing was perfect, to the point where the laughs and the scares were almost simultaneous. Lots of loose social subtext to chew on too. I'm only really docking it points for being a tad predictable plot wise, but even then there was a bit of a surprise twist I didn't see coming. 

Can't wait to see this. Has the actor from my favourite Black Mirror episode, as well.

my favs of the year:

1. the witch

2. moonlight

3. american honey

4. paterson

5. silence

6. little sister

7. arrival

8. hail, caesar!

9. love & friendship

10. lo & behold

honestly feel like any of my top 4 could easily be my #1 pick. thought each of them was fantastic. Silence I didn't love at first, but has stuck with me.

handful i still want to see, but haven't been watching much lately so who knows if i'll get around to them.

worst movies of year:

1. sausage party

2. sausage party

3. sausage party

4. sausage party

5. the girl on the train

6. star wars: rogue whatever

7. sausage party

8. sausage party

9. sausage party

10. sasuage party

20 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

my favs of the year:

1. the witch

2. moonlight

3. american honey

4. paterson

5. silence

6. little sister

7. arrival

8. hail, caesar!

9. love & friendship

10. lo & behold

honestly feel like any of my top 4 could easily be my #1 pick. thought each of them was fantastic. Silence I didn't love at first, but has stuck with me.

handful i still want to see, but haven't been watching much lately so who knows if i'll get around to them.

worst movies of year:

1. sausage party

2. sausage party

3. sausage party

4. sausage party

5. the girl on the train

6. star wars: rogue whatever

7. sausage party

8. sausage party

9. sausage party

10. sasuage party

Sausage Part didn't make it passed the 7 minutes mark for us. 

I watched Split last night. 6.5/10. Maybe 7. Was just sort of 'meh'... I also think using sexual abuse is a bit of a cheap tactic as a plot device... there's just something weird about showing the cleavage of an on-screen 15 year old to try and turn people on while simultaneously describing how she was seriously sexually abused as a child. 

Edited by Down by the River

Nocturnal Animals

Fell absolutely flat on its face in the final 20 minutes. Shame, because Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Michael Shannon (natch) were both spectacular in it.

---------------------

Live By Night

Just started, but can tell it won't be good.

EDIT: Scratch that, wife made me switch to Bridget Jones's Baby :picard: