The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 20/03/2017 at 11:08 AM, Hugor Hill said:

Cardinal vs Bellevue

I just finished watching both pilots. Here are my first impressions:

1) Bellevue is such a True Detective wannabe, with the sex and missing children and religion and everything. Cardinal went for the TD look and feel but it's not as blatant.

2) Despite being a TD wannabe, Bellevue totally misses TD season one's theme, which is, at the end of the day, friendship. Bellevue misses the mark so badly Anna Paquin's character doesn't even have a partner.

3) Without fact checking, Cardinal has a far bigger budget (or at least they didn't spend all their money to bring in a well compensated movie star like True Detective wannabe did). No question.

4) I very much dislike the actor who plays Cardinal. On top of his ordinary, nondescript look and monotonous emotional range, his damn scratchy voice sounds like he is always trying to whisper very loudly.

5) I'm not a huge fan of neither shows at this point, but the very first scene of Bellevue is just pathetic. After that, they tried to push the plot forward as fast as possible but yeah, like you said, it's all over the place. It's like they think throwing lots of story threads at the viewer as quickly as possible is a good way of telling a story. Again, a TD wannabe but done very poorly. 

6) I very much dislike partnering a young attractive woman with an old man in Cardinal. It's ageism and sexism and unrealistic all rolled into one. And no, trying to dig dirt out of him is not a good excuse. For this alone I don't want to keep watching it out of general principle. 

7) Bellevue has an inherit advantage that its protagonist is a likeable and attractive female (who doesn't even have a partner), so naturally we are always worried about her safety. But if you are relying on this alone to keep viewers interested, then the show has problems.

8) I think Bellevue has one thing going for it, it's Paquin's personal storyline - that the crime today has something to do with her childhood. It's... cheaply intriguing like a teen horror movie.

I don't know how accurate it is to it, but Cardinal is based on a book that I haven't yet read. I'm actually inclined to seek it out after seeing though after having seen the show.

I don't think the casting for Cardinal was perfect, but I don't take issue with the existence of Delorme, That's because, spoiler alert, there's absolutely no romance angle or anything there. It's just a fairly attractive women that happens to be a cop. That in itself could be argued to be a sexist hollywood trope that female leads kind of have to be attractive, but I can't say I take issue with her character, or who they chose to act for her.

Looking at both shows, I see a great True Detective clone, and a bad True Detective clone. You're probably right that Cardinal had the bigger budget, but it doesn't take all the money in the world to shoot something competently and make it look good. It helps obviously, but I think the difference between the mediocre and great cinematography goes beyond that.

If you keep watching beyond episode one though, It does continue to trend downwards to episode four. Particularly because the actual antagonist drags things down. But it pops back up strongly by episode 5 and ends on a high note.

13 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

I don't know how accurate it is to it, but Cardinal is based on a book that I haven't yet read. I'm actually inclined to seek it out after seeing though after having seen the show.

I don't think the casting for Cardinal was perfect, but I don't take issue with the existence of Delorme, That's because, spoiler alert, there's absolutely no romance angle or anything there. It's just a fairly attractive women that happens to be a cop. That in itself could be argued to be a sexist hollywood trope that female leads kind of have to be attractive, but I can't say I take issue with her character, or who they chose to act for her.

Looking at both shows, I see a great True Detective clone, and a bad True Detective clone. You're probably right that Cardinal had the bigger budget, but it doesn't take all the money in the world to shoot something competently and make it look good. It helps obviously, but I think the difference between the mediocre and great cinematography goes beyond that.

If you keep watching beyond episode one though, It does continue to trend downwards to episode four. Particularly because the actual antagonist drags things down. But it pops back up strongly by episode 5 and ends on a high note.

Saw Kim's Convenience's pilot too.

You are right! It's got the feels! LOL!

Logan - 8/10. Don't recall watching any X-men movie previously and was honestly a bit reluctant and ambivalent towards watching it but I'm glad I actually did. It was captivating enough from beginning to end that I don't think I looked at my watch to check the time once. 

On 3/22/2017 at 8:48 PM, Monty said:

Dave Chappelle - Netflix Specials

Of the two specials, I found the first one in LA infinitely better than the second.

Watched the first one yesterday... I thought it was pretty great. I'll most likely check out the second one today.

X men Apocalypse;

6.5/10

Spoiler

It is getting harder to keep track of just what "universe" these movies come from. Not a fan of showing a different beginning for Wolverine, Storm or Nightcrawler.

Took way too long to get Jean into the fight and too many  single attacks against Apocalypse.

Edited by gurn

5 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

Morning Glory - RachelMcAdamsIsAmazing/10

It's a standard Hollywood women-flick. It's fine. Not amazing. Fine. But I couldn't care less. Rachel McAdams glows every frame she is in. I think she is my favourite actress now. She can do anything.

hqdefault.jpg

a4359cf6a4f3198af1ab99a6fc8e714e.jpg

morning-glory-4.jpg

morning_glory_movie_image_rachel_mcadams

She is my WCF (woman crush forever)

• Upvote 1

On 19/03/2017 at 11:41 PM, GLASSJAW said:

I had very literally the exact same reaction. I had no idea what to make of the movie and I had to stop it multiple times too. For some reason, that feels like a positive to me. But at the same time... I dunno if I could say I enjoyed it in the end?

I enjoyed it a lot more in retrospect than while watching, I'll say that.

On 20/03/2017 at 7:21 AM, Monty said:

Also, after The Cabin in the Woods and now Get Out, safe to say that all horror movies should star Bradley Whitford.

Gets me thinking. I'm wondering if all horror films should star at least one of the following:

- Bradley Whitford

- Brad Dourif

- Jeffrey Combs

Add Richard Jenkins to that list! He was Brad Whitford's other half of the incompetent scientist duo in Cabin, and I was just raving about his performance in Bone Tomahawk the other day.

Passion -  WhatTheF--kIsThisBull$&!#/10

@Hobble

So I wanted to see a Rachel McAdams thriller. She was great, playing a rare villain. But beyond that, what absolute crap is this. It was made in 2012, yet it looks, sounds and feels like a 80's movie (Brian De Palmer). The first half was corporate thriller and backstabbing stuff. It was alright. But the 2nd half was easily one of the worst movie experience I have ever had. 

passion_06_large.jpg

• Upvote 1