The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 6/4/2017 at 9:52 PM, Hugor Hill said:

Fear The Walking Dead - Better-than-TWD/10

Fear-The-Walking-Dead.jpg

It's official. After the season 3 premiere this is now officially the better show. Because:

1) it is actually fast pace and exciting

2) a smaller cast means more focus on the characters

3) so cute: 

fear-the-walking-dead-renewed-season-4.j

Cruz from the classic Blood In Blood Out movie in the last episode!

in response to my previous post about Disney firing the two directors of the Han Solo movie:

they just hired Ron Howard.

what a colossal step up from the directors of 21 Jump Street

wonder if they will re-shoot the scenes they already completed, or if they're just paying him to put his name on the project or something

On 6/21/2017 at 0:02 PM, GLASSJAW said:

wow. great novel The Sisters Brothers (gritty, funny western) is about to start filming. It'll star Jake Gyllenhaal and Joaquin Phoenix as the brothers

director is a bit of a surprise. some french art house type dude named Jacques Audiard

super excited for this. the book is moving, hilarious, violent

The French love to work with Gyllenhaal.

The Bad Batch  8/10

There it is, something weird and unique and memorable cutting through the summer slog. I didn't love it, it's messy and fractured and drags at times, but was still something else. Kind of a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland rom-dram. Some surprising cameos too - Keanu Reaves shows up and, well, he's still Keanu. But two others who I have a love/hate thing with, Giovanni Ribisi and Jim Carrey, pop up and are great. Carrey in particular, uncredited and damn near unrecognizable, probably the most I've enjoyed his presence since Eternal Sunshine.

@GLASSJAW  you know this one? If not it's payback for pointing me to American Honey earlier this year. They're different beasts but would pair well together imo - AH is more realistic and almost felt like a documentary at times whereas this is more of a fantastic surreal fairy tale sort of thing, but still would make for a mind popping double feature.

edit - I was gonna say at least there's no Shia hamming it up, but, Keanu..

Edited by The Bookie
  • Upvote 1

Joshy - 7/10 - (Dark) Comedy

Takes some balls to based a comedy off a suicide of a fiancé but 5 guys come together to go through with a bachelor weekend regardless.  Has Nick Kroll who is hilarious and Brett Gelman who I could of swore was Louis C.K.  Lots of drug use and probably not for majority but I loved it. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, HI5 said:

One of my favorite movies ese, vatos locos ese, you know what I mean jellybean?

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Joshy - 7/10 - (Dark) Comedy

Takes some balls to based a comedy off a suicide of a fiancé but 5 guys come together to go through with a bachelor weekend regardless.  Has Nick Kroll who is hilarious and Brett Gelman who I could of swore was Louis C.K.  Lots of drug use and probably not for majority but I loved it. 

Joshy was in my top 5 favourite films from last year. Loved it.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:29 PM, HI5 said:

Such a good movie.

EDIT: Same with Colors, they don't make the south side LA gang movies the way they used to. "Heyyyyyy, Pacman"

51 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Such a good movie.

EDIT: Same with Colors, they don't make the south side LA gang movies the way they used to. "Heyyyyyy, Pacman"

Yup, Colors was also a classic.

Okja - 8.5/10

Came out today on Netflix, from the director of Snowpiercer and The Host.

Great fable type of movie with political undertones.

While it may appear to be a film you can watch with children, don't.

On 6/25/2017 at 11:54 PM, Monty said:

I thought Alien: Covenant was bad. Well, it still is. But this was absolutely terrible.

Did you like the first ones? (both Prometheus and GotG)

La La Land - 9/10

Conventional story well told. I LOVE the cinematography / camera work / lighting. Everything looks so dreamy and surreal, The music and performances were great too. Great executions. It was actually Ryan Gosling playing the piano himself. Unreal. The very first shot of the movie on the highway wow'ed me from the get go. And it proceeded to wow me all over the place.

Moonlight must be really really good.

la-la-land-ryan-gosling-emma-stone.jpg

GLOW 

The new Netflix series, which is a fictional retelling of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling show from the 1980s. I thought this warranted a longer review than usual, as I have something that's taken me some time to figure out.

So first things first, Netflix is amazing and they really struck gold in being one of the early adapters of creating original series that you can binge watch all at once. Netflix is amazing. GLOW is not. GLOW is average, at the very best. But GLOW is NOT the first Netflix series to be given acclaim when it's absolutely not warranted (see: Orange is the New Black, LOVE). They have been tricking viewers for some time, and it finally caught up to them with the worst thing ever put to screen, Iron Fist.

By offering the fantastic ability to binge everything at once, Netflix tapped into our OCD and societies inability to "just wait a fricken week." The general public then refuses to stop, because we can't. We have to finish. Now, if the show is average/terrible, we won't keep tuning in if its offered weekly (ie: countless examples). However, we are more than willing to dedicate 5 hours of tv time to finish a terribly average series. When reviewers and the general audience finish it, they are reviewing the series as a whole right away and usually haven't had time to digest everything. So we give the series a passing grade, sometimes lauding it.

GLOW falls into this. It's a starring vehicle for Alison Brie, and she has her moments; however, while she certainly is proving that she has more acting chops then her terrific, yet one note character on Community, there isn't a lot of depth to her character. She is given a lot of opportunity to show her range, and while she succeeds in these parts, it's also pretty empty. Worse is that there has been a lot happening to her character to bring her to where she is. But the show and its writers don't do a good job at all in focusing on these parts of her and digging deeper into her character development. It's quite shallow. While the show sets out to spotlight Brie and all the female "wrestlers", it is very hallow and they fall short, very short in having the audience actually care about any of them. Which is disappointing when you consider that these women would have had to overcome a lot, both personally and professionally to join a women's wrestling league when none of them were wrestlers. 

What the show does right is Marc Maron's character and his portrayal in it. I will say that while I'm aware of Maron, I'm not familiar with his standup, his show, or his podcast. His character as an underground Hollywood director who takes on this opportunity to start something new and different with GLOW is told very well. So it's disappointing when you see how terrifically written his character was, and how absolutely empty and uninteresting the rest of the cast was.

The show isn't terrible. It's completely average. But the problem I have is that audiences are getting tricked into thinking completely average shows are fantastic, and I believe the ability to binge watch at once is to "blame".

Either this, or I'm still angry that Netflix tricked me into watching 9 episodes of Iron Fist.