The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Big Sick  8.5/10

On the surface this is just a really nice, light but not too light, summer romantic comedy. But it's so much more. Effectively one half of the romantic part is taken out of it for more than half the running time, and there's no end of social, cultural, religious commentary to chew on, and it still manages to consistently inject the laughs rather than just cut to a message moment interlude. This is what I wanted Don't Think Twice to be. Really glad I watched it, could have easily completely passed me by.

favorite line

Ray Romano - "What's your stance on 9/11?"

Kumail Nanjiani - "...Anti? It was really bad. We lost 19 of our best guys."

• Upvote 1

Hey, are you a Star Trek nerd like me? Then get ready! Go down to the hardware store, grab some rope, find a beam, and a chair to push yourself off of, because the newest Star Trek Discovery tv spot just came out!

• Upvote 1

Saw Wonder Woman last night, I'd say 8/10. It could have been done really badly but the director made some great decisions and developed a good story.  I think both my wife and I developed a crush on Gal Gadot, and I'm just fine with it. 

alien: covenant 6/10

had rock bottom expectations for this going in, disliked Prometheus and have zero attachment to the Alien series overall. so with that said, i thought it was pretty much par for the sci fi action romp course. big fat whatever. but i felt super uneasy in a few sequences and i enjoyed its relentless bleakness, so it gets a pass from me.

the nonstop explosions, the for-nothing heroics coupled with one liners towards the end were a major drag

Edited by GLASSJAW

On 2017-07-23 at 6:59 PM, Monty said:

Hey, are you a Star Trek nerd like me? Then get ready! Go down to the hardware store, grab some rope, find a beam, and a chair to push yourself off of, because the newest Star Trek Discovery tv spot just came out!

Yikes..

You know, I think my favourite thing so far in the entire Star Trek nerdaverse is when they just simply sit around the poker table (in TNG) and chat about their day. Now it seems like they've turned Star Trek into nothing but continuous action ... like they've taken both the science and the fiction out of it. (time to go to sleep because I can't decide if that was a brilliant or idiotic thing to say)

(my second favourite thing is when LaForge or O'Brien say ridiculous things like "if I reversed the polarity on the phase induction coils I just might be able to realign the plasma field modulators and since no one else is still reading this part man I can't believe they killed off my favourite character Jadzia Dax and also do you think I should finally start watching Game of Thrones or Mad Men or Breaking Bad alongside Enterprise? I'm basically 20 years behind on tv series")

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Svengali said:

do you think I should finally start watching Game of Thrones or Mad Men or Breaking Bad alongside Enterprise?

Alongside Enterprise? No. Blast through Enterprise and don't watch something else during it.

Then, I would watch in this order:

1. Breaking Bad

2. Mad Men

3. Game of Thrones

I may even go as far to say to watch Mad Men first. Not because it's better than Breaking Bad (it's not), but because once you watch Breaking Bad, everything else will be awful in comparison. And Mad Men is a slow burn.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-07-27 at 9:37 PM, GLASSJAW said:

emoji movie sitting at 0% on RT so far. lmao

On 2017-07-27 at 9:55 PM, Monty said:

I may as well do the predictable.

IMG_1819.PNG.86a64918d25affbc54a1ffa8af83366c.PNG

I had to do my dad duties today and take seven boys including my son to this movie for my sons birthday.

it was terrible.  Obviously.

if I'm to be fair:  

there was literally no reaction from those attending till about the last 25 minutes.  Even the row of boys next to me didn't laugh once out loud.  Although,they did say they liked it when I asked after It was over.  My son said "it was ok". He's 9 in two days.

i came home and immediately started drinking.  I can't believe I paid to watch that.

Edited by riffraff