The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

19 hours ago, The Bookie said:

A Ghost Story   9/10

This is probably the best movie I've watched so far this year, and yet at the same time I'm not even sure I liked it - sounds weird to say, but it's one of the slowest movies I've ever seen, to the point that almost nothing happens. Having said that, I can already tell that it'll be echoing around in my brain for months, and will nag me until I watch it again. So subtly beautiful, sad, creepy, and funny.

Yeah , a friend of mine told me i would love this one. Looking forward to seeing it.

Star Trek Discovery - Update

I’m sure most here aren’t Star Trek nerds, so my updated assessment (like my movies reviews) probably fall on deaf ears. But here goes.

So, I really think this new series is quite awful. For those unfamiliar, the timeline of this series takes place between Star Trek Enterprise (Scott Bakula version) and 10 year before Star Trek TOS (Shatner). And this is where the problems start. 

If you’re a Star Trek fan, this timeline falls into when the Prime Directive wasn’t a thing yet. Which means, as a viewer, we’ve already seen this before. We’ve seen where Captains and Crew have made questionable decisions, as they were allowed more leeway. I could get more into this, but a discussion like this is better over dialogue, because as ST fans know, one could talk for hours. So long story short on this issue, if you’re a Star Trek fan (or not), this is a problem. They’ve tapped out this area already and it’s unnecessary.

Adding to the above, but it’s own problem altogether, is that because of the timeline, they are at war. This means that the overall tone of the show is very dark. As a viewer of all the seasons, the entire point of the Star Trek universe is that they were apart of the Federation; which aspired to being something greater. A world that we, as the viewer, wanted to be apart of. A world that wanted to be peaceful in their dealings with each other and other cultures. This new series does not follow this. The tone, which is incredibly dark, also shows the crew of the Discovery as people who are not only cold with each other, but also don’t trust one another (which is incredibly odd) and have zero chemistry. This is a massive problem with the show. Knowing that the Federation exists due to different species and cultures working together for something greater, seeing a crew that has no trust towards each other, which again is odd because it’s based on nothing, is incredibly confusing and counter to their entire belief system.

Lastly, the characters are cold, have no chemistry, and worst of all, have no heart. There’s no reason to like any of these people or care about them. They are empty vessels.

If you’re into Star Trek, you’ll probably hate it. If you want to get into Star Trek and have never seen it before, don’t watch this one to get into it. And if you hate Star Trek, you’ll probably hate this, because it just plain sucks.

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

^^^^

We really need a TV thread

I’ve often thought about it, but I question how well it would do. Have a feeling it would morph into talking about The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

But may as well try it.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

I’ve often thought about it, but I question how well it would do. Have a feeling it would morph into talking about The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

But may as well try it.

Those two are popular enough that they deserve their own thread.  :)

Last movie

Expendables 3

lollolloolol/10

I still love how Jason Statham takes these movies so seriously. Give him the Oscar already  :lol:

The Hero - 6.5/10

Great cast, nice cinematography and 'feel' but it's all let down my a pretty mediocre script. Elliott's fantastic as you'd expect but the film barely scratches the surface or does anything original with the key interest points in the movie, which is a missed opportunity.

But worth the watch just for the cast IMO, even if what they had to work with veered towards 'meh'

Mission Impossible - 6.5/10

I rewatched the original about 2 weeks ago, and it still holds up. Seeing where the film series started and what it ended up morphing into is quite something. Cruise really was a babyfaced kid (ok, mid 30s) when he made this, but the guy did a great job in the original. Still worth the watch.

The Guest - 9/10

While Adam Wingard’s last two films were clunkers (Blair Witch remake, Death Note adaptation), his first two major films (You’re Next and The Guest) we’re critically acclaimed. While I enjoyed You’re Next, it was quite gruesome. The Guest, however, is a perfect action-horror-thriller.

Dan Stevens, who’s plays the title character, will be known to audiences today as the lead character in the terrific, but bonkers tv show, “Legion”. He was also in Downton Abby as Matthew, and more recently as the Beast in Beauty and the Beast (but what self respecting movie goer saw that). Also stars the lead actress from “It Follows”.

Either way, this was an absolutely fantastic film. Don’t want to give anything away, as there is a perfect blend of humour and action. It really is less a horror film and more an action/thriller. But I guess, because of the last 15 minutes, critics categorize it as an “action-horror-thriller”. 

Either way, fantastically acted by Stevens with really snappy dialogue. Absolutely watch. Just with no kids in the room.

It’s on Netflix.

more bad Halloween flicks

Friday the 13th (2009)   4.5/10

I didn't know this remake existed - 'remake' seems to exist as the 2nd + 3rd of the originals? - but it does. Didn't hate it. It's in the same realm of the Hills Have Eyes remake from 2006 being competent and true to the original spirit and general mythos. Switches up the pacing a bit too. But still reverts to a slasher formula of one by one kill-offs that bores.

Vampires (1999)   5.5/10

Later career John Carpenter. First time watching. Probably only time. Love JC and over time I'll work my way through all of his stuff  Here he's doing an intentional B-movie style, James Woods as the leader of a squad of vampire hunters in New Mexico, part of a larger worldwide religious vampire hunter organization, who stumble across the OG Vampire. It's all so over the top. Even by B standards the treatment of women in the film is super uncomfortable.

ps @Monty  one day I'll have to try The Guest again. I did not get it - it seemed like a properly bad low budget thriller to me. I've wondered since if it was just the filmmaker playing his cards so close to his chest that I missed it. So many people since have raved about it being tongue in cheek.

Edited by The Bookie

4 hours ago, The Bookie said:

ps @Monty  one day I'll have to try The Guest again. I did not get it - it seemed like a properly bad low budget thriller to me. I've wondered since if it was just the filmmaker playing his cards so close to his chest that I missed it. So many people since have raved about it being tongue in cheek.

Very tongue in cheek. While I enjoyed the entire film, I was grinning the entire last 25 minutes. Right up until the final shot of the film I was having an absolute ball.

Better Watch Out  6/10

Christmas horror, of a sorts, and kinda like the anti-Home Alone. Kept threatening to drag but was just creative and zippy enough to be enjoyable.

The Invitation  7/10

It's like they drove through Hollywood on a busy afternoon and threw out a net to capture all the character actors. Everyone in this movie was a "Wait, where do I know them from?" type. Nice slow burn tension. The final shot was definitely the best thing in it.

Hush  7.5/10

Deaf woman defending her home from an invasion. Made for an interesting fresh take.

Split   8.5/10

Been meaning to watch this for awhile. All I'd heard was raves about McAvoy's performance and yet it still managed to blow me away. Solid film too. I was never big on M'Night even during his first phase, but his last two (this and The Visit) were great and really turned me around on him. I take it this is set up for a sequel given the ending. Looking forward.

Leatherface  5.5/10

Not bad for another horror franchise reboot. Well made and kept me guessing, but a bit of a let down in the end.

On 18/10/2017 at 6:00 AM, Monty said:

Very tongue in cheek. While I enjoyed the entire film, I was grinning the entire last 25 minutes. Right up until the final shot of the film I was having an absolute ball.

Yes from my hazy memory of it the ending was the one part I really enjoyed. I think it took place at a highschool dance? With sort of trippy visuals and the synth score, felt John Carpenter inspired.

15 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

The Invitation  7/10

It's like they drove through Hollywood on a busy afternoon and threw out a net to capture all the character actors. Everyone in this movie was a "Wait, where do I know them from?" type. Nice slow burn tension. The final shot was definitely the best thing in i

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well. Really eerie and uncomfortable.

16 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Hush  7.5/10

Deaf woman defending her home from an invasion. Made for an interesting fresh take.

Also really enjoyed Hush. Tons of fun.

2 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Yes from my hazy memory of it the ending was the one part I really enjoyed. I think it took place at a highschool dance? With sort of trippy visuals and the synth score, felt John Carpenter inspired.

Yup, you’re remembering it correctly. I would go back and rematch the film in the same lens as the last 25 minutes. Main character is so good.

Coherence was great. I can see the comparison to The Invitation, although I liked it a lot more. Rather than levelling out in to a straightforward genre movie it just gets weirder and more confusing as it plays out. 

I should def put that and The Guest on to my mental re-watch list.

2 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Coherence was great. I can see the comparison to The Invitation, although I liked it a lot more. Rather than levelling out in to a straightforward genre movie it just gets weirder and more confusing as it plays out. 

I should def put that and The Guest on to my mental re-watch list.

I got literal goosebumps the first time I watched Coherence. 

Suburbicon is getting really poor-to-mediocre reviews. sorta bummed as i thought it looks like a fair Coen bros-lite movie. i thought Clooney's two directorial attempts at drama were solid if not really good (Ides of March, Goodnight and Good Luck). but didn't enjoy Monuments Men at all.

I watched the new Spider Man movie. i liked the comics as a kid, so my morbid curiosity will always bring me to movies. it actually wasn't as bad as i was expecting. don't get me wrong, it was still a total dud, but i didn't actively hate all of it like i did Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. so like 5.5 i guess.

saw Bladerunner 2049 for second time. Really loved it again.

re-watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre which is an easy 10/10 for me. utterly disturbing and impossible to enjoy, yet totally enjoyable at the same time.

• Upvote 1