The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

This would have sufficed.

I kind of have a soft spot for Gerard Butler. The guy puts out action films which really belong in the 1980s. I miss those big, dumb action films. 

But Geostorm is just dumb.

On 2017-11-30 at 3:50 PM, Shift-4 said:

I kind of figured that out with one commercial  :P 

But certainly watchable for how dumb it is. And if there was ever a “film”, and I use that word loosely here, where it was visible that there were production issues, this is the poster child of disfunction.

You can see Gerard Butler gain and lose weight from scene to scene. You can see his (and other cast members) hair colour an length change scene to scene, as well as facial hair from scene to scene. It was something like 3 years between first shoot and reshoots. 

And that’s just the visuals, which also look dated.

9 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 9/10

Definitely a top pick for me this year. 

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Looked great in the trailer. Excited for this one.

I’m itching for a good movie in 2017. I honestly can’t remember really good 2017 movies that I watched, aside from “Get Out”. I’m sure there are some, but that’s the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I still haven’t seen “Dunkirk”.

I don’t like the premise of Paul Thomas Anderson’s new film, but it is Anderson, and it is DDL’s last film. But that will likely be a contender for film of the year for me. Although, I likely won’t be able to see it until April/May.

Mississippi Burning - 7/10

Feel like a bit of a fool for not ever taking the time to watch this. For those who aren’t familiar, it stars Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe, and is loosely based on the 1964 murders of 3 civil rights activists (2 white, 1 black). Also stars a young Frances McDormand and a scene stealing Brad Dourif (Wormtongue LoTR).

All in all, it was a really enjoyable film, though not perfect. There were certainly a few scenes that felt too “Hollywood” and didn’t really fit the overall tone of the film; but overall, really enjoyable.

What was also really interesting/strange was to see a story like this being told/seen from the viewpoint of white people and not African Americans. Not saying it’s right or wrong, as you are following two white FBI agents during the film, so it’s necessary for the film. However, we’ve grown accustomed to watching films today that, very understandably so, tell the story from those who’ve been oppressed. This is both what makes the film work and not work, as it’s told by a more “matter of fact” matter and with little to no emotion. It’s difficult as a viewer to know whether this benefits the film or not, as a story like this does require emotion and feeling to work. So with that said, it does do a good job in the contrast in characters between Hackman and Dafoe, as Hackman is the far more emotionally driven character, while Dafoe plays the younger, straight laced FBI agent who’s a reminder that things need to be done according to the law in order to gather evidence. I had to keep reminding myself that Hackman was actually law enforcement, as he almost seemed to act more as a consultant (less proper). Not bad at all for this film.

So yeah, the casting was also what made the film work. Worth watching? Yes. Worth watching twice? Maybe.

Dunkirk - 10/10

There's not much I can add to this film that hasn’t already been said. As I’ve said before, due to my family’s history serving in the military, my standards for war films are very high.

So from the outset, it was really refreshing to see a film depicting a specific event with little dialogue. When dialogue occurs, not only is it moving, but it’s necessary. You feel engaged with the characters in the event.

Which takes us to how the story and movie was shot and handled. As many have stated, this is probably Nolan’s greatest film. And while movies like The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, and Inception are good for multiple viewings, we all know that multiple viewings doesn’t equal a better film. And that’s the case here. I would certainly watch Dunkirk again, though. As Nolan handled the material with grace.

What’s impressive is how he managed to tell this story in under 2 hours, especially with how he told it. With 3 different perspectives: The Mole (beach), The Sea (small boats), and The Air (planes) told over a course of a week, a day, and an hour, woven together simultaneously. Even though it kept jumping back and forth between narratives (without time stamps), it flowed seamlessly and clearly. Beautiful cinematography as well.

What’s more is that Nolan made, in my opinion, a perfect war film that is not rated R, making it appropriate for those who are younger (teens) to watch a war film and not be traumatized. Which makes it more impressive. For so long I’ve felt that in order to accurately portray all areas of war, those films had to show everything. And certainly it helps when the story the filmmaker is telling calls for it. However, here, Nolan crafted a story around an event that, while horrors were happening all around them, there was no need to go full R, as that wasn’t what the point was in his story.

Phenomenal. And I love when quality filmmakers/writers are given full control from the studio to make their film. Very, very few filmmakers are given free reign. Nolan has proven that he can handle a giant budget and tell a story now that’s not a sequel (Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk) and that the studios will make their money back. Very refreshing.

15 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Dunkirk: Great/10

Will probably make my top five of 2017.

Christopher Nolan movies are the best. Dunkirk probably up there for one of the best movies of 2017. The last one I'm waiting for is Jumanji 2.

8 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi 7/10

Seeing this in a little less than 2 hours.

2 hours ago, Hobble said:

Watched on Netflix:

The Night Before (5/10).

This movie sums up Seth Rogen’s film quality since Knocked Up.

The worst part was that they dragged Michael Shannon into it. Solid 0/10.

star wars: uhh idk 7.5?/10 

lots of good scenes. lots of really silly/bad ones. definitely had some tingly moments of nostalgia and all that - but ultimately i still feel completely and totally disconnected from the good guys. think luke's situation was handled very poorly.

some SW fans are totally raging about it, and I get their complaints. but i still was able to enjoy it overall. 

kylo ren stole the show imo. in fact, i'll just go ahead and say he is by far the best character in the series at this point

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

star wars: uhh idk 7.5?/10 

lots of good scenes. lots of really silly/bad ones. definitely had some tingly moments of nostalgia and all that - but ultimately i still feel completely and totally disconnected from the good guys. think luke's situation was handled very poorly.

some SW fans are totally raging about it, and I get their complaints. but i still was able to enjoy it overall. 

kylo ren stole the show imo. in fact, i'll just go ahead and say he is by far the best character in the series at this point

I’m excited (as always) to see the review on Half in the Bag.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

I’m excited (as always) to see the review on Half in the Bag.

went looking for it, or a super thorough criticism of it last night. but every video i watched just seemed like some toothy asshole who was given a free ticket in exchange for a dumb, positive review

• Upvote 1

The Last Jedi. Oh man. I remember enjoying TFA more even if that one was a re-hash of the original in a lot of ways. 

I loved some of it but there's parts that will really have you scratching your head, and not in a good way. Some of the directions they took certain characters were hard to reconcile with. 

And yes Kylo Ren continues to be by far the best character in the series. His scenes are really the only reason I can be somewhat satisfied with TLJ.

Spoiler

I now understand why Mark Hamill said he fundamentally disagreed with everything Luke did in this movie. Like WTF.

13 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

went looking for it, or a super thorough criticism of it last night. but every video i watched just seemed like some toothy asshole who was given a free ticket in exchange for a dumb, positive review

Yeah, I tried sitting through two or three of them, and ultimately stopped because they were so annoying (ie: Jeremy Jahns) and literally saying nothing about the film. Not looking for spoilers, just a legitimate analysis of the film.

That’s precisely why I prefer RLM. Like a lot of reputable reviewers, they enjoy the process of making films and genuinely appreciate when it’s done well. But they aren’t going to give a movie a glowing review, simply because it’s Star Wars. And for someone like me who loves and appreciates Rian Johnson as a filmmaker who actually makes original films, I’m interested in his (and RLM take on his direction and writing) for The Last Jedi.

The fact that he’s given free reign to create a whole new trilogy based on nothing else in the Star Wars universe makes me at least somewhat excited. Especially considering I fall far more towards a Star Trek fan than Star Wars.

Except the Star Trek Films, more often than not, are absolutely terrible.