The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Good Time: 8.5/10

Drags in places but throws some curveballs at you. When I was a grad student my job was to do assessments on young offenders and this movie did, IMO, a great job of capturing what their life and mindset can be like.

The more I’ve thought about it, the more I love it. I already gave it a 9, which is high enough praise; but the more I think on it, I don’t know what else could have been done in the story to improve it.

While some movies beg for exposition, or get caught up in too much, Good Time really had the perfect balance. While at times I thought that learning more about his relationship with Jennifer Jason Lee or why the robbery in the first place would have been nice, just jumping into the chaos of the film and being “in it” really added to the strength of the movie.

Just now, GrizzlyAdams said:

The Post: 8.5/10

Just watched it last night. I'm usually not into the drama-esque movies, but I couldn't resist another Tom Hanks/ Steven Spielberg combo.

Meryl Streep, even though I don't like her too much as a person, was fantastic. 

Not in direct response to your post, as you didn’t say this, but has Spielberg made a “must watch” film since Munich? I’ve watched his movies since then, and enjoyed a few of them, but I don’t think any of them were must see movies. 

I thought Bridge of Spies was enjoyable enough, but certainly not a memorable film. I think Spielberg has turned into a perfect “Old persons filmmaker”. Like if I went to a dinner party filled with 60 year olds, they would talk about a “Wonderful film starring Tom Hanks.” A perfect filmmaker who makes movies for old people to enjoy.

32 minutes ago, Monty said:

The more I’ve thought about it, the more I love it. I already gave it a 9, which is high enough praise; but the more I think on it, I don’t know what else could have been done in the story to improve it.

While some movies beg for exposition, or get caught up in too much, Good Time really had the perfect balance. While at times I thought that learning more about his relationship with Jennifer Jason Lee or why the robbery in the first place would have been nice, just jumping into the chaos of the film and being “in it” really added to the strength of the movie.

Plus individuals like this don't always have the most well-developed rationale for why they do things. It would have been stupid to give this highly impulsive individual a really clear rationale for their behavior. The guy's life is probably this chaotic on a near-daily basis.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

It’s because of the memory loss time we live in where people think women have never been represented in film as heroes before. Whether fiction based (ie: Ripley, Croft, Hermione Grainger, The Bride in Kill Bill, Sarah Connor, Furiosa, Katniss, Pam Greer in everything, Michelle Yeoh in everything) or in non-fiction films (ie: Zero Dark Thirty, Erin Brockovich). I know there are more, but these were all just off the top of my head.

Point is, people are getting too hung up on superhero representation (because the movies are terribly formulaic) and don’t focus more on proper representation of women represented in film in general.

I do understand the point that “our kids should be able to see a movie with a female lead in a superhero role.” Absolutely agree. No argument on my end. But the suggestion (from media) that there has never been a strong female represented in film before is wrong. But we live in 2018, the age of “nothing existed before now.”

I'll look into creating additional accounts so I can plus this more.

regards,  G.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Good Time: 8.5/10

Drags in places but throws some curveballs at you. When I was a grad student my job was to do assessments on young offenders and this movie did, IMO, a great job of capturing what their life and mindset can be like.

The guy who played 'Ray' is an actual career criminal who served time at Rikers Island

https://nypost.com/2017/08/19/this-brand-new-movie-star-has-been-in-prison-8-times/

Check out Heaven Knows What - way grittier than Good Time, if you can believe it. Borderline documentary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

The guy who played 'Ray' is an actual career criminal who served time at Rikers Island

https://nypost.com/2017/08/19/this-brand-new-movie-star-has-been-in-prison-8-times/

Check out Heaven Knows What - way grittier than Good Time, if you can believe it. Borderline documentary.

I can't vouch for it as I haven't seen it yet, but Stuart: A Life Backwards is also another "close to real life" TV movie about a career criminal that moves towards activism. Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch before either of their careers really took off. 

EDIT: Also, god damn did I do a disservice to myself by judging Robert Pattinson based on Twighlight. He's got quite a few movies I need to check out.

Edited by Down by the River

On 2/17/2018 at 6:23 AM, Toni Zamboni said:

anyone see Black Panther?

how was it?

im not usually into these types of movie but this one looks interesting.

Just saw it yesterday and I'll give it a solid 7 out of 10. Visually it's very impressive and even though im not African or black I can appreciate the culture they incorporated into the universe. The few negatives I have revolves around the story being somewhat simplistic and not a whole lot of characterization. The action is good but fairly standard for a marvel movie and of course theres enough comedy to keep the mood light. Overall I'd say it's one of the better marvel movies that been made.

The Ritual - 7.5/10

Swedish/English horror film, starring Rafe Spall and no one else I know. The film isn’t universally acclaimed, but I really, really enjoyed it. 

Without giving too much away, 4 friends go hiking in Sweden and take a shortcut through a forest. What transpires is pretty disturbing.

For a horror film, it did it’s job. Fairly original.

108BFBFB-32D8-4D15-B72E-259A70082FC1.jpeg

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Matrix 1 - 8/10

Matrix 2 - 3/10

Matrix 3 - 6.5/10

When I was a kid I didn't understand why everyone loved the first movie so much but hated 2nd and 3rd. Now it's obvious to me.

At least this guy in 3 was cool.

Mifune.jpg

I have not seen the Matrix sequels in a long time. But I remember thinking that the 2nd one wasn't all that bad, and that the 3rd one was absolute crap.

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I have not seen the Matrix sequels in a long time. But I remember thinking that the 2nd one wasn't all that bad, and that the 3rd one was absolute crap.

I find the 2nd and 3rd unwatchable.

While the Star Wars prequels are utter garbage, at least they’re a fun study in how not to craft a story.

I tried watching the second Matrix again last year and couldn’t make it through 20 minutes.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Monty said:

The Ritual - 7.5/10

Swedish/English horror film, starring Rafe Spall and no one else I know. The film isn’t universally acclaimed, but I really, really enjoyed it. 

Without giving too much away, 4 friends go hiking in Sweden and take a shortcut through a forest. What transpires is pretty disturbing.

For a horror film, it did it’s job. Fairly original.

108BFBFB-32D8-4D15-B72E-259A70082FC1.jpeg

The creature was like an unholy mix of Bullwinkle and Orko. It was a very well-done film.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The creature was like an unholy mix of Bullwinkle and Orko. It was a very well-done film.

Another film I’d like to rewatch is The Witch. Truth be told, I was not paying attention the first time I watched it. And I feel like I’m missing out.

Just now, Monty said:

Another film I’d like to rewatch is The Witch. Truth be told, I was not paying attention the first time I watched it. And I feel like I’m missing out.

The VVitch was a great film. Very atmospheric, tense, and creepy. I had to watch it a second time to capture all the subtleties.

25 minutes ago, Monty said:

I find the 2nd and 3rd unwatchable.

While the Star Wars prequels are utter garbage, at least they’re a fun study in how not to craft a story.

I tried watching the second Matrix again last year and couldn’t make it through 20 minutes.

How did you like The last Jedi?

I would give it 5/10. It's a weird movie for me. I liked some parts but hated others.

Also, all the sudden the google image only link is missing from google. I have to actually upload pics directly onto the forum.

onumqpxv9xaqhapynmff.jpg