The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 2018-05-26 at 10:04 AM, Monty said:

Wife’s birthday was a week and a half ago, while mine was yesterday. So we’re getting a sitter tonight, have a few drinks, and then watch Solo. 

Happy birthday 

just had mine Saturday.

• Cheers 1

The Cell - Part bizzare and visually intriguing thriller, part terrible Jenifer Lopez vehicle. Worth a watch for the visuals but otherwise seems like a waste of good ideas.

There is one particularly dumb and pointless scene near the start with Lopez shown smoking weed in her house and showing off her body... just totally gratuitous. The film’s resolution of plot is also deeply annoying and makes the better aspects of the film redundant.
Still, worth a watch just for the intriguing, non-sensical visuals. Also, Vince Vaughn is fairly decent in his straight faced role.
5/10

Hail, Caesar!

Decent Coen Bros film. Pretty much on par to what I thought it would be. Guy who plays Han Solo in the new film has a major role, which had the best scene in the movie between him and Ralph Fiennes. 

Battle of Chosin, 10/10

My Dad was in the Canadian Signal Corps in Korea. No wonder he rarely talked about his time there. There's a bunch of times I choked up. 

MacArthur was both a genius and a freaking madman. Both him and Patton had way too much ego. Sort of an American Dunkirk. 

Glad to hear that 90,000 civilians got out. UN forces almost 18% casualties. Chinese forces suffered 35-40%.  Considering they had a 50% manpower advantage. It was appalling that Mao cared so little for his own forces. 

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

I find it interesting how off hand jokes like this one worked for Rogue One, but failed miserably in TLJ.

I think what made his “character” work in Rogue One was they clearly took a page from Drax in Guardians. In that they wrote his dialogue/jokes very literal. And as unlikable/boring as the characters were in Rogue One, only K2SO and the action scenes near the end were the only things that saved the film.

As for TLJ, the issue with those jokes was, aside from being terrible jokes to begin with, they didn’t fit the characters or the situation they were in at all. The story of TLJ essentially took place over a  24 hour period, in a time where the Resistance was about to be wiped out entirely. So all these human characters (not a droid that is programmed) are acting completely out of character of not only who they are, but also for the situation they were in.

On 6/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, Monty said:

I think what made his “character” work in Rogue One was they clearly took a page from Drax in Guardians. In that they wrote his dialogue/jokes very literal. And as unlikable/boring as the characters were in Rogue One, only K2SO and the action scenes near the end were the only things that saved the film.

As for TLJ, the issue with those jokes was, aside from being terrible jokes to begin with, they didn’t fit the characters or the situation they were in at all. The story of TLJ essentially took place over a  24 hour period, in a time where the Resistance was about to be wiped out entirely. So all these human characters (not a droid that is programmed) are acting completely out of character of not only who they are, but also for the situation they were in.

TLDR

Whole lotta of fail in TLJ

• Haha 1

Thor: Ragnarok - 1/10 DNF

I must have missed something here. Was it supposed to be a children's comedy? I couldn't finish it. Every scene was just full of silly jokes. I'm not a huge super-hero movie fan but this can't be right. What am I missing?

The 1/10 is for Goldblum as I absolutely love that guy in any role.

Edited by Seifer86
  • Upvote 1

The Dish  8/10

Fictionalized story of Austraila's support during Apollo 11, looking at the impact on a small town excited to be part of such an historic event.  Sam Neill and Patrick Warburton are the two most recognizable actors for us Westerner.

Cute, funny, and interesting, especially if you are into the space program.  Time well spent.