The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Singin’ in the Rain

Classic and a must see. If you haven’t watched it, you owe it to yourself to give it a watch. Been about 20 years since I last saw it, and it’s far better than I remembered.

A4839F05-3F56-4BA7-ACF0-03D951066E52.jpeg

On 2018-06-09 at 3:14 PM, Shift-4 said:

Thor Ragnarok 

Went in with low expectations, which were met 

Quite opposite for me. Thought it was a great movie. Superb action mixed with very funny moments. I also really loved the soundtrack, in particular the Immigrant Song from Led Zepplen. Very kick ass!

I would rank it as one of the best Marvel movies made. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-06-07 at 1:04 PM, Seifer86 said:

Thor: Ragnarok - 1/10 DNF

I must have missed something here. Was it supposed to be a children's comedy? I couldn't finish it. Every scene was just full of silly jokes. I'm not a huge super-hero movie fan but this can't be right. What am I missing?

The 1/10 is for Goldblum as I absolutely love that guy in any role.

Most people love super hero movies. It’s ok to be different. I personally thought it was great film. Very entertaining.

• Upvote 1

Ready Player One

I said before that I’m trying to avoid rating movies on a scale of 1 to 10, and more of a “watch/pass” rating instead. Can go into the positives and negatives in the review and then give my recommendation afterwards.

So, in saying that, did Spielberg really need to direct this? I’m assuming 99% of the film was “directed” by the Visual FX Department. It felt like the Star Wars Prequels. Throw as much at the screen as possible, hoping that will keep the audience interested. Because you strip all that away, and the story is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but with characters that aren’t relatable and the message that “Corporations Are Evil”. This is not a new story. In fact, it’s been done to death.

And when you do movies this way (ie: green screen with character avatars), the characters are usually one dimensional and underwritten. That was definitely the case here. Good guy is good. He loves a girl (and tells her that) he met online after basically one driving session online. Bad guy is bad, because he owns a company and wants to make more money by advertising. I love how he’s just bad for talking to the shareholders about that (and thus shareholders are evil), but it doesn’t tell how that would create more jobs for people, who’s lives are truly horrible in the future.

It’s also a bad sign when you can predict the entire story and what’s going to happen in the opening 5 minutes. It’s that formulaic.

Pass. It’s boring. 

8800536E-C7DD-4667-8B9C-D56FDC894EE6.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Incredibles 2

Incredible/10

The first Incredibles is my favorite Pixar movie. I have been waiting a long time for the sequel (thought one would never happen) and all I can say is that the wait was worth it. Great movie and a worthy sequel.

Here is hoping if they do decide to re-visit this world with a 3rd movie we don't have to wait so long.

• Cheers 1

The Graduate

First watched it when I was 16 (I think). 20 years later, and I look at it in a much different light. Ending isn’t so much a bummer, just that the movie has come full circle. Hoffman’s character essentially where he was when he graduated university. Uncertain. Young and uncertain.

One thing is certain, Mike Nichols directed the sh*t out of the film. So many one take shots. Purely from a directing standpoint it’s worth watching. But even then, the dialogue is terrific, which ensures that those long shots work to begin with.

Must see.

681E19F1-58A8-4CB6-9473-E9DEEABEB71C.jpeg

• Cheers 1

I've got some hot takes on movies I've seen in the last while. 

Phantom Thread: 4/5

Weird af but I loved it. Great acting but an even better OST. There's a lot to ponder afterwards with this one. 

Black Swan: 4/5

Even weirder. Took me so long to get around to this but it really is great. Natalie Portman is a gem.

A History of Violence: Not good

I didn't get this at all. Everything was predictable and over-the-top. 

Lady Bird: 3/5

It's decent. Didn't really deliver on the hype but I enjoyed it even if it was pretty clichéd. 

I know this isn't the TV thread but this season of Westworld delivered again. Just like the first season, I was only mildly into it at the beginning but now at the end I'm fully hooked. 

• Cheers 1

“Chuck Norris versus Communism” - brilliant, hillarious, eye-opening documentary about how a handful of Romanians delivered Western Movies into Communist Romania and had a lot to do with the overthrow of the Communist government. 9/10.

Also check out Jeremy Renner in “Wind River”, Oscar Isaak in “A Most Violent Year”, Stephan Rea in “Citizen X”, Tom Hardy in “Drop Box” and “Child 44” and the TV series “Nootka”.

If you can handle sub-titles, watch foreign film academy award winner, “The Lives of Others” and the original Argentinian version of “The Secret In Their Eyes” (avoid the US version like the plague - it is awful by comparison).

if you like older movies, try “The Count of Monte Cristo” with Jim Caviezel and Guy Pierce, and “Les Miserables” with Liam Nelson and Geoffrey Rush, get your kids in front of the TV for “October Skies”, and “Iron Will”.

I am not a religious person, but If you like inspiring movies, you might like “Temple Grandin”, “Amazing Grace”, “Something the Lord Made”, “The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler”.

If you like westerns, you might like “3:10 to Yuma”, “Hombre”, “Shenandoah”, “Crossfire Trail”, “Open Range”.

13 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Chuck Norris versus Communism” - brilliant, hillarious, eye-opening documentary about how a handful of Romanians delivered Western Movies into Communist Romania and had a lot to do with the overthrow of the Communist government. 9/10.

Watched this over a year ago. It is phenomenal.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Solo: 7/10 Enjoyed it.Is Lando really getting his own Star Wars film already

Reports came out about a week ago that all future Star Wars spinoff films (ie: Boba Fett, Obi Wan) have been put on hold after Solo’s dismal performance. It is tracked to lose over $50M, which was something nobody thought was possible for a Star Wars film.

So it looks like a Lando film is unlikely at this point.

• Thanks 1

If you followed the disaster that was Justice League (reshoots, colour brightness change, and the infamous digitally removed moustache), it looks like they also digitally changed Henry Cavill’s hands! :lol: 

What is going on in Hollywood?

• Haha 1