The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I watched it over 15 years ago. I got it. I just didn't enjoy it.

I remember several scenes. Maybe that flatters the movie more than my previous comments.

I might have a boring weekend. Couldn't hurt to try it again.  lol

Could be worth it, then. 

It’s interesting. I really didn’t get Eyes Wide Shut in 1999 at 17, but I watched Clockwork Orange around the same time (probably earlier) and appreciated it then. However, I have no interest in going back to Clockwork Orange. One viewing is enough.

9 hours ago, Monty said:

Could be worth it, then. 

It’s interesting. I really didn’t get Eyes Wide Shut in 1999 at 17, but I watched Clockwork Orange around the same time (probably earlier) and appreciated it then. However, I have no interest in going back to Clockwork Orange. One viewing is enough.

I'm not sure what message EWS is trying to convey. For me, I have only valued its' esthetics (camera work, set design, score, lighting, gorgeous naked women, etc). But I don't have to think over it too critically to realize that the movie flaunts elitism. But unlike a move like  "The Good Shepherd", it doesn't seem to effectively convey, or even want to try to convey, anything of moral value.

I don't hate it, as it is good cinema. But Stanley Kubrick had issues....

To add to your 'when I was young...' line of narrative, Taxi Driver is one movie I didn't get when I was a teenager. But when I rewatched it as an adult, it was a 'holy cow' moment. The universe made sense suddenly.

Edited by Hugor Hill

42 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Taxi Driver is one movie I didn't get when I was a teenager.

I’m not sure when I watched Taxi Driver. I was probably 18. I just felt uncomfortable. Haven’t gone back to it.

Isles of Dogs

Perfectly acceptable Wes Anderson film. However, as “ok” as it was, it’s probably his weakest outing since The Darjeeling Limited (which I also liked).

It’s not bad, just not great for Wes Anderson. If you’ve seen all his other movies, then I guess you have to see it. Otherwise, if you’ve never seen one of his movies before, this isn’t where you should start.

3F2ADF3D-7FD9-44F6-9FF7-D76A89A6CEE7.jpeg

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Gave The Last Jedi another look last night.

It's pretty bad. I think this is the reason Solo did so terrible. No one wants to see Star Wars after TLJ

That's actually not a bad theory. Obviously not the only reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a contributing factor. TLJ really caught fans off guard, which is a little funny considering so many have been asking for something different, rather than the "same old same old". The problem with TLJ was that it was just a boring, incoherent mess. Didn't bother me that they tried something different, but it wasn't like Rian Johnson to make something overly complicated and empty.

However, this is what Disney has been doing lately. Hiring up and coming directors who are being given a "once in a lifetime opportunity". But the stipulation must be, "Oh, you have to have this beat, and this beat, and this beat in the movie. You get as much creative freedom as we allow you to have, which isn't much, because we've already committed hundreds of millions to toys and marketing. So have these in it. Now, go ahead and make this movie for kids and have stupid humour in it."

I actually didn't hate Solo, as it really did something different. It wasn't perfect, and it wasn't great for a heist/smuggler movie. But it did something none of the other Star Wars films managed to do, and that is that it didn't have lightsabers in it. Amazing.

Now that it's on Netflix, I'm interested to hear what @D-Money has to say about TLJ.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Now that it's on Netflix, I'm interested to hear what @D-Money has to say about TLJ.

I hadn't noticed - thanks. May watch it this week.

I've been all about murderers lately, for some reason. The Killing is alright (leaves Netflix Aug. 1st though, so have to stick with it if I'm going to finish it). The Fall is outstanding.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I've been all about murderers lately, for some reason. The Killing is alright (leaves Netflix Aug. 1st though, so have to stick with it if I'm going to finish it). The Fall is outstanding.

If you want to watch murders, check out the 13 part documentary, The Staircase.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yep!

On 2018-07-03 at 2:16 PM, Monty said:

That's actually not a bad theory. Obviously not the only reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a contributing factor. TLJ really caught fans off guard, which is a little funny considering so many have been asking for something different, rather than the "same old same old". The problem with TLJ was that it was just a boring, incoherent mess. Didn't bother me that they tried something different, but it wasn't like Rian Johnson to make something overly complicated and empty.

I have a theory that the true quality of a band / musician's album is reflected on the sales of their next album.

Edited by Hugor Hill

14 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

I have a theory that the true quality of a band / musician's album is reflected on the sales of their next album.

Not necessarily. Paul’s Boutique is a phenomenal album. One that performed poorly when it was released. Yes an outlier, but it happens.

Movies are the same. Lots of great movies that perform poorly because they aren’t Transformers or Avengers.

On 2018-06-24 at 9:40 PM, Down by the River said:

Recently watched The Endless. I'd give it a 7/10.

Yeah. 7/10. I have seen a previous work of this writer-director due, Spring. They like using super natural elements to delivery simple, everyday messages.

Thanks for the reco.

04-the-endless_w710_h473.jpg.261b662be439151708c46e1fd6ac7859.jpg

Hero starring Jet Woo Li 

If it any point during the movie I pressed the pause button, the picture left on the screen would fit in an art portfolio as the entire movie was shot and set beautifully with significant purpose. Also, the way the complex plot of the movie was told was unique in its non-linear style and unreliable narration and twists. 

In addition to the articulate martial arts fight scenes of the genre (and an appearance from Donnie Yen of Ip Man and Rogue One fame), the way the movie was presented visually and sequentially, along with its underlying messages about life and death and sacrifice makes it feel like you're watching a 90 minute poem.  

8.5/10  

• Upvote 1