The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Avengers: Infinity War

Just got out of it.

Lots of space dogs died in a massive fight. So, barely any consequences.

And yeah, the “tragic ending” is pretty much going to be null and void once the next movie is out. That was ridiculously obvious. 

If your wife and kid are out of town and you need to watch a movie before you pick them up at the airport, you could do worse. But not by much.

Hereditary - 9/10

Arguably one of the best scary/ physiological thrillers I have seen. I was shaking coming out of the movie and could not stop thinking about it all night. The storyline might seem simple but there was so many little things you had to pay attention to throughout the movie to understand the deeper meanings. There was something so human about the movie too, as people who have families you can understand the dynamics and the ups and downs of family life. My movie theatre was packed and there were a few times where the entire theatre screamed, the scares were good, not predictable. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-07-21 at 10:06 PM, Hugor Hill said:

Ready Player One - 7/10

It's a better movie than I had expected. The Shining sequence was awesome. But at the end of the day it is still just mainstream cheese. 

zjlrbiguk7buduuh4y68.jpg.7ab6e3ff4cd88a584804715f51288021.jpg

I agree, The Shining scene was fun. But afterwards, I just felt like watching The Shining would have been better. So I did, and it was.

1 hour ago, Mango3 said:

Hereditary - 9/10

Arguably one of the best scary/ physiological thrillers I have seen. I was shaking coming out of the movie and could not stop thinking about it all night. The storyline might seem simple but there was so many little things you had to pay attention to throughout the movie to understand the deeper meanings. There was something so human about the movie too, as people who have families you can understand the dynamics and the ups and downs of family life. My movie theatre was packed and there were a few times where the entire theatre screamed, the scares were good, not predictable. 

Can’t wait to watch this in a few months.

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2018 at 8:33 AM, Mango3 said:

Hereditary - 9/10

Wow - I had an entirely different experience than you. I thought the movie was quite (unintentionally) hilarious in many parts and there were times I had to stifle outright laughter. As a scary movie I'd rate it 2/10, but the overall enjoyment factor (the parts that weren't supposed to be funny but were) I'd give it a 6/10.

I think the last scary movie that actually did the job for me was Creep. I'd give that a 9/10 for sure.

9 hours ago, babych said:

Wow - I had an entirely different experience than you. I thought the movie was quite (unintentionally) hilarious in many parts and there were times I had to stifle outright laughter. As a scary movie I'd rate it 2/10, but the overall enjoyment factor (the parts that weren't supposed to be funny but were) I'd give it a 6/10.

I think the last scary movie that actually did the job for me was Creep. I'd give that a 9/10 for sure.

There were certainly some funny scenes, but strange funny like they reacted in such human ways to tragic situations that you couldn't help it but laugh....I'm not sure if that makes sense. I am hearing a lot of mixed reactions from people who have watched it. 

I love scary movies, haven't watched Creep yet. I will give it a go soon! 

12 hours ago, luckyjack said:

Just saw Ant Man and The Wasp with my best friend IRL today. It was great! There were lots of great humor bits that just added to the awesomeness of the movie. I dare say it was even better than Ant Man. 9/10

I enjoyed Ant Man too.  I don’t get why someone just steps on him though, and squishes him.  

Father of the Year, 3/10

This is yet another Netflix Adam Sandler production.  We were bored, and needed something funny.  This didn't qualify much, but there is one scene that has stuck with me.

This is streamable in the US, not sure about Canada.  If you get a chance, watch for a few minutes starting at around 3:45 mark.  Unless you're a diehard fan of Sandler's style, then feel free to watch the whole thing.  I like some of his movies, but this one as a whole didn't cut it for me.  But that redneck pool scene makes me smile even a few days later.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

but there is one scene that has stuck with me.

Please tell me it’s a real life meeting between Sandler and Hollywood, telling him that he’s no longer allowed to release material.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Please tell me it’s a real life meeting between Sandler and Hollywood, telling him that he’s no longer allowed to release material.

Not so lucky, I'm afraid.  He sure seems done.

In that scene, David Spade gets what was long coming to him.  The redneck part seems to suit him well... c'mon, can he be that good an actor? ;)  

But, even dedicated Sandler haters in my household laughed out loud on that scene.  Just don't watch the rest!  You don't need to watch the opening for any context either.

Jurassic World 2 (or Jurassic Park 5)

There are a number of problems with this movie. Will expand on them more later today, but let’s just say it doesn’t know what movie it wants to be. There’s two different stories being told here, the first half and the second half. They don’t flow together at all.

——————

Flashdance

Wife and I put on last night. Never watched it before (neither had she). I walked out. So I still haven’t seen it.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

The VVitch - 8/10

An amazingly tense film about a family living in the woods in New England, dealing with supernatural forces from within the surrounding woods. The story and performances are excellent.

I really need to watch this again. The first time I barely paid attention to it. Classic Monty “CDCing while watching a movie.”