The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

17 hours ago, Monty said:

High Flying Bird

New Steven Soderbergh film that was made for Netflix, and his second movie in a row that was filmed entirely on an iPhone.

Premise? NBA lockout following a sports agent. Interested? You shouldn’t be. It’s awful.

Good to know, I was thinking about giving it a go. I tend to enjoy Soderbergh.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Good to know, I was thinking about giving it a go. I tend to enjoy Soderbergh.

Soderbergh, for the most part, is a reliable director. Contagion was a very underrated, and forgotten movie. 

But this was nonsense.

Cold Pursuit - holy cow what a nice surprise.  This is a remake of a Norwegian film full of humour and some good action sequences.  Quite enjoyed it considering how bad the trailers look.

Alita Battle Angel - I like the spectacle of big budget movies.  Not sure if this was spectacle enough for me.  

6 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Cold Pursuit - holy cow what a nice surprise.  This is a remake of a Norwegian film full of humour and some good action sequences.  Quite enjoyed it considering how bad the trailers look.

Wife and I watched this on Saturday. So many plot holes, tonal issues, and character-to-story inconsistencies that we really couldn't enjoy it at all.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Wife and I watched this on Saturday. So many plot holes, tonal issues, and character-to-story inconsistencies that we really couldn't enjoy it at all.

Well I wouldnt take it very seriously.  If youre going into it expecting a tight and logical film, well, I think that's your first mistake there

9 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Well I wouldnt take it very seriously.  If youre going into it expecting a tight and logical film, well, I think that's your first mistake there

I saw the original first. Much better. The plot holes here were pretty bad.

”Our 3 drug dealers are missing. Did they leave?”

Yes, I’m sure the guy who’s DNA is splattered all over his Wedding Dress Shop (not in the original) just up and left with your drugs :picard: 

5 hours ago, Monty said:

I saw the original first. Much better. The plot holes here were pretty bad.

”Our 3 drug dealers are missing. Did they leave?”

Yes, I’m sure the guy who’s DNA is splattered all over his Wedding Dress Shop (not in the original) just up and left with your drugs :picard: 

take it as a point of comedy then

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

On 2/14/2019 at 3:06 AM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Just saw this yesterday.  It was hilarious.  Totally not what I was expecting.

• Like 1

Two movies I saw in the last week, that were quite similar in a way...

Room - 8.5/10

Lion - 7/10

(Potential spoilers ahead...sort of...I mean, most people probably know the general stories of both, even if they haven't seen them.)

In both movies, the first 45 minutes or so are primarily about a young boy coping with a devastatingly traumatic experience. And both absolutely knock this portion out of the park. In Room, how the boy makes sense of his world is both touching and heart-breaking. In Lion, the first section is as-good-or-better, as the young actor playing him just radiates charisma and enthusiasm. The story of how Saroo got into his situation is told so efficiently, and the child's reactions so expressive, it's one of the best 45-minute sections of a film I've seen in recent memory.

What separates the 2 movies is what happens after this part, when the boys each experience a colossal shift in circumstances. Room continues to focus on the boy, and how he copes with the world he never knew. It isn't as powerful as the first portion of the movie, but is still interesting and engaging. Whereas Lion chooses to jump forward 20 years, and as soon as it does the movie loses most of it's steam. Everything becomes slow and clunky, and it wastes time focusing on how he met his girlfriend (which really adds nothing to the story). It really only becomes interesting again at the end, when Saroo is back in India. I think it would have been a much better movie had it spent a little more time showing how the young boy adapted to his new life/family, and cut out the girlfriend almost altogether.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/20/2019 at 1:06 AM, D-Money said:

Two movies I saw in the last week, that were quite similar in a way...

Room - 8.5/10

Lion - 7/10

(Potential spoilers ahead...sort of...I mean, most people probably know the general stories of both, even if they haven't seen them.)

In both movies, the first 45 minutes or so are primarily about a young boy coping with a devastatingly traumatic experience. And both absolutely knock this portion out of the park. In Room, how the boy makes sense of his world is both touching and heart-breaking. In Lion, the first section is as-good-or-better, as the young actor playing him just radiates charisma and enthusiasm. The story of how Saroo got into his situation is told so efficiently, and the child's reactions so expressive, it's one of the best 45-minute sections of a film I've seen in recent memory.

What separates the 2 movies is what happens after this part, when the boys each experience a colossal shift in circumstances. Room continues to focus on the boy, and how he copes with the world he never knew. It isn't as powerful as the first portion of the movie, but is still interesting and engaging. Whereas Lion chooses to jump forward 20 years, and as soon as it does the movie loses most of it's steam. Everything becomes slow and clunky, and it wastes time focusing on how he met his girlfriend (which really adds nothing to the story). It really only becomes interesting again at the end, when Saroo is back in India. I think it would have been a much better movie had it spent a little more time showing how the young boy adapted to his new life/family, and cut out the girlfriend almost altogether.

I have Lion on my list to watch, which is currently 15 deep. However, for the sake of discussion, I’ll bump it up to the top and give my take on it in the next 3(ish) days. Maybe it’s available on India Netflix and I can watch on the plane ride home.

As for Room, 2015 was a strong year for movies: Mad Max, Trumbo (criminally underrated), What We Do In the Shadows, It Follows, Ex Machina. I’d say it’s one of the best from that strong, strong year. Only watched it once and it’s stuck with me. The decision to split the movie up and not have it based entirely in the room was very smart; showing the toll it took on both of them, in far different ways.

Let Me In - 7.5/10

Creepy vampire flick that has almost ghost story undertones, all the while giving a nice lil' underdog storyline. 

Swiss Army Man - 8/10

Beautiful & often hilarious look at our modern life. The solace & insight one dead man can give a living man caught me by surprise.

13 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Let Me In - 7.5/10

Creepy vampire flick that has almost ghost story undertones, all the while giving a nice lil' underdog storyline. 

I actually found it quite frightening from the point of view of how cruel children can be. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2019 at 11:36 AM, D-Money said:

Room - 8.5/10

Was at the Rio a few showings ago for The Room and the people behind us thought they would be watching Room.

I just watched Double Down by Neil Breen. 2.5/10. As someone else has described it, it's basically a fan fiction about Neil Breen himself (who is starring actor, writer, director, producer...). It's just a boring film but one keeps cringing at how much of an ego-trip it is on Breen's part. He strikes me as a moralizing, paranoid libertarian

On 2/19/2019 at 1:36 PM, D-Money said:

Lion - 7/10

Watched Lion on my flight back from India yesterday. Considering I was already emotionally rocked by my time there, watching this didn’t help.

Agreed on the girlfriend part. Unnecessary. Subtracts from the story.

Otherwise, terribly interesting. If any of you have ever been to Kolkata, landing alone at the train station as an adult would be scary enough. It’s quite remarkable that he was able to remember enough of where he came from when he was 5 years old. I remember glimpses of being 5. Truly remarkable.

• Cheers 1