The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Warriors - 9/10 The first and last time I watched this was when I was 14, and I loved it then. Now at 31, I appreciate this film much more than I did the first time. Forgot that James Remar was in this movie, he's aged quite well. Anyway, for those who haven't seen it, the plot is very straightforward. The Warriors have been falsely accused of killing the city's gang leader. They must now fight their way to safe territory, as all the gangs in the city are "out to get them." Loved the scene with The Orphans. Can you dig it?

Awesome film!! Warriors, come out and playay!!

Guest Gumballthechewy

Liam Neeson had made some pretty crappy movies of late. The Grey? Unknown? Taken 2?

Seems to show no signs of stopping either. Heard Taken 3 is already confirmed.

When it heard it was about plane crash survivors fighting off wolves I knew it was going to be complete garbage.

Unfortunately I've already seen the crappiness that is The Grey and Unknown. However, Taken 2 would fit the bill nicely, I think. Unless, of course, I want to all out and watch Crank 2.

That would be like trying to make fun of a doctor as he performs a lobotamy on you.

Better get your quips in quick!

Have you even seen these movies? They were pretty decent, Taken 2 sucked terribly though.

I'm not one to question anyone's taste in movies (it's such a subjective thing anyway) but I have to say that I tried watching The Grey a few times, but just couldn't sit through the whole thing.

Like Gumball said, the entire premise is flawed. Wolves just don't see humans as prey, despite what you might have heard from The Brothers Grimm.

It's one redeeming quality, IMO, is that it was partially filmed in Dan Hamhuis' home town. (about 4 hrs down the road from where I live. ;) )

how can you guys hate on The Grey while liking a movie like Gravity? They're more or less the same thing: person lost in wilderness/space loses friends/companions, loses/lost faith, regains faith in self, fights elements, both movies bend natural law to establish conflict, credits.

Except The Grey is significantly better

it's better because of how it uses tension and tries to defy convention occasionally. the threat of conflict is more important than the conflict itself.

while Gravity on the other hand, is so godawful in your face with conflict and convention that it seems like it's just a typical action movie on fast forward, with a few slow motion shots of space at the start. pure trash

(that's not to say The Grey is a great movie or anything, but's certainly engaging)

Edited by GLASSJAW

The Raid: Redemption (2011):

Hmm, what to say.

I'll just start with the obvious and state that the action is very well shot. Few cuts, good choreography, and most importantly, no shaky cam. But the plot (if you can call it that) and characters are not developed well at all. This film really has me thinking why I rated Dredd 3D so high (maybe it's just Karl Urban). Good film to watch if I turn my brain off though.

Not sure how I'd rate this.

how can you guys hate on The Grey while liking a movie like Gravity? They're more or less the same thing: person lost in wilderness/space loses friends/companions, loses/lost faith, regains faith in self, fights elements, both movies bend natural law to establish conflict, credits.

Except The Grey is significantly better

it's better because of how it uses tension and tries to defy convention occasionally. the threat of conflict is more important than the conflict itself.

while Gravity on the other hand, is so godawful in your face with conflict and convention that it seems like it's just a typical action movie on fast forward, with a few slow motion shots of space at the start. pure trash

(that's not to say The Grey is a great movie or anything, but's certainly engaging)

This might be the first time someone has ever tried to link Gravity and The Grey.

But alright, I'll play along. Long story short, Gravity was a technical achievement. The Grey was nothing more then capitalizing on Liam Neeson's bank ability in trash films.

The only thing that is similar about these two films is that they have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

I like you Glassjaw, but come on, you're more creative then this post.

• Upvote 2

This might be the first time someone has ever tried to link Gravity and The Grey.

But alright, I'll play along. Long story short, Gravity was a technical achievement. The Grey was nothing more then capitalizing on Liam Neeson's bank ability in trash films.

The only thing that is similar about these two films is that they have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

I like you Glassjaw, but come on, you're more creative then this post.

Agreed.

Gravity was very entertaining. Even when they were bending fact a little, it was a lot more believable than a super-tracker taking on some sort of giant mutant wolves.

And the ending... Come ooooonnnn....

Guest Gumballthechewy

The Grey was actually a very solid and well acted flick. 79% on rotten tomatoes so check your facts.

I could give a crap what someone else thought of the movie, I thought it was garbage and that's all that matters to me.