The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Saw it in DBOX at Collosus in Langley. I'd give it a solid 8. Decent movie, expected more fighting but enjoyed the story. DBOX is a cool feature. The 3D was a total waste, didn't do much for me.

same here... i hardly notice any 3D... just ways to get more $$$$.. never tried DBox, heard it can be good feature or u get sick from it..

The Damned United - 8/10 I have seen this film now 3 times in the last year. Such a terrific sports film. For those that are unaware of the plot, it is the true story about soccer manager Brian Clough's unsuccessful 44 day tenure as manager of Leeds United in 1974. The film takes place over a period of 7 years, flashing back to his time in successfully managing Derby County, who were at the bottom of the 2nd division, to the top of 1st division when he left in 1973. Major historical inaccuracies aside, this is a fantastic film. Directed by Tom Hooper (King's Speech, and Les Miserables), and starring Michael Sheen, Timothy Spall, Colm Meaney, and Jim Broadbent, The Damned United is an absolutely terrific film. 94% on RT.

Watched this the other day after reading your review. Totally agree. I'd maybe even give it a 9/10.

Martin Sheen never really disappoints, it seems.

Edited by kodos

Watched this the other day after reading your review. Totally agree. I'd maybe even give it a 9/10.Martin Sheen never really disappoints, it seems.

Glad you enjoyed it. Every time I've seen it it seems to get a little better.

Godzilla- 9/10

This was my first Godzilla movie and it was freaking awesome! I gave it 9 because of the lack of 3D and because of how long Cranston was actually in the movie, outside of that it was really well done. Godzilla himself looked really good, the close ups of him were so cool. Really one of the best monster movies I have seen, I hope that they do make a Godzilla/Pacific Rim movie.

Edited by CanuckofSteel

So mentioned a few weeks ago that I watched Premium Rush. Well, since Manitoba had it's first warm day of weather two days ago, I decided "Hey, I biked a lot in university (10 years ago), how about I startup again. I threw up after the ride. Thanks JGL for reminding me that even after I lose 42 pounds, I'm still out of shape.

So, for a date if I had to choose between Godzilla and X-Men what would be a better choice? For the record, buzzwords like "fun" and "popcorn flick" mean very little to my enjoyment of movies so whatever is more like the Avengers in terms of quality I'd like to avoid

I'd personally go with Days of Future Past. I love the X-Men franchise, excluding X3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and I love the chemistry between McAvoy and Fassbender

So, for a date if I had to choose between Godzilla and X-Men what would be a better choice? For the record, buzzwords like "fun" and "popcorn flick" mean very little to my enjoyment of movies so whatever is more like the Avengers in terms of quality I'd like to avoid

Godzilla focuses a lot on the human side of what is going on throughout the film. It will obviously have action and those "WOW!" moments but there was a lot more drama and dialogue than I expected. The story was also really good and the cast was fantastic, but if you go through how I have reviewed movies through this thread you'll find that I mostly just enjoy the movies for what they are.

I also personally dislike the X-Men series and cannot stand any of those movies. I like the X-Men but not the live action stuff. Also, I refuse to watch a film that Jennifer Lawrence is in.

X-Men would be more like the Avengers.

I'd go to Godzilla.

I'm going to X-Men tomorrow so I can't say for certain, but I'd wager you're in for a spoonful of disappointment no matter what you pick. Godzilla did have some "human" parts with my good pals Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe. Plus it's not set in the Marvel universe. Finally, it's been out for longer so you're less likely to annoy people around you when if you audibly groan/sigh/laugh at inopportune times.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004):

Today I found myself walking into another romance film, without previously knowing. The film is strange but it is very well written, thanks to Charlie Kaufman. This is another movie that gives the audience an interesting look at relationships and our desire to find a person to connect with. Both Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are great and Michel Gondry directs his crew quite well. Endearing, ambitious, and heartwrenching, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is most definitely worth the watch.

A-

charlie kaufman wrote and directed a movie called Synechdoche, New York that sorta flew under the radar. if you're interested in watching a slow burning, strangely-structured, mega-depressing meditation on how your life is an utterly meaningless waste of time, give it a watch

charlie kaufman wrote and directed a movie called Synechdoche, New York that sorta flew under the radar. if you're interested in watching a slow burning, strangely-structured, mega-depressing meditation on how your life is an utterly meaningless waste of time, give it a watch

Words cannot describe how much I hated Synechdoche, New York.

unique is a much better word

This is where we are going to have to agree to disagree, very quickly. I understand what Kauffman was getting at, and it was a very bold work of art; but that's how I viewed the movie, art more then film. It deserves to be playing nonstop in art galleries to be discussed ad nauseam by art snobs. The movie is just not for me. It made me hate Catherine Keener, and I LOVE CATHERINE KEENER.

This is where we are going to have to agree to disagree, very quickly. I understand what Kauffman was getting at, and it was a very bold work of art; but that's how I viewed the movie, art more then film. It deserves to be playing nonstop in art galleries to be discussed ad nauseam by art snobs. The movie is just not for me. It made me hate Catherine Keener, and I LOVE CATHERINE KEENER.

do you find all of Kaufman's movies to be pretentious? what about Adaptation?

And if something is pretentious, does that make it bad, IYO?

do you find all of Kaufman's movies to be pretentious? what about Adaptation?

And if something is pretentious, does that make it bad, IYO?

Really like Kaufman's other films. Eternal Sunshine is in my top 10 favourite films of all time. I just hate SNY. We're all allowed to dislike things for reasons that are legitimate to us. And no, just because something is pretentious, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad. I just had a hard time appreciating SNY. The idea? Fascinating. Would have probably been better as a novel/short story, rather then watching a writer tell us how clever he is for 2 hours with his pretentious crap of a film.

If you like it, that's fine; and I understand why some people would like it. That said, it is just not for me.