The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

I am second guessing my decision to want to spend $16 on this now...the last movie I watched in theatres was Days of Future Past and I really didn't like it, despite the rave reviews.

Has anyone (perhaps one of you guys) seen Perfect Sense with Ewan McGregor and Eva Green? The premise seems very interesting but the rating on RT is quite low. User reviews are polarizing. I am unaware of how the film was marketed so maybe that angered some viewers with false expectations of Contagion or something, I am not sure.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439572/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

The thing about rave reviews is that it could be critics' movie. I thought Dawn was a great movie and really well-paced. Well-paced isn't always something people want in a summer blockbuster. From that viewpoint alone, you could say Edge of Tomorrow will be the best movie of the summer.

But again, I really like Dawn. There were some great moments where the emotions were really coming across.

Just wasn't too impressed with the film as a whole. I loved the last one, it was my favourite film of 2011. There was certainly things I liked about it, but felt that it dragged at times, and two of the characters (guy from Fringe/Band of Brothers and ape with one eye) were the stereotypical "I hate the other side" characters.

Not terrible by any means, but it was not as strong as the first one. I wouldn't watch it again.

So annoying when movies do this. One dimensional = lazy.

Locke 8.5/10, Under the skin 8.4/10

I thoroughly enjoyed both of these "slow burn" movies.

The acting by both Tom Hardy and Scarlett Johansson is really top quality, and under the skin is visually a very beautiful film.

Edited by Crom!

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 6/10

Meh.

Seconded.

Felt like an isolated sidestory compared to the first one. A cute tale about morals betweens humans and apes where the whole point of it was to get across the notion that the disease has spread worldwide and Earth is under siege by this epidemic. So really, you can just watch the opening scene and then leave the theatre if you so please.

A cute tale about morals betweens humans and apes where the whole point of it was to get across the notion that the disease has spread worldwide and Earth is under siege by this epidemic. So really, you can just watch the opening scene and then leave the theatre if you so please.

:lol:

I just don't understand why this movie is getting the rave reviews it's getting, and it disappoints me to say I disliked it. Loved the previous one and the original Planet of the Apes with Heston. However, this just seemed empty.

Even though I gave it a 6/10, I'll probably change my review in a few weeks to a 3.

So annoying when movies do this. One dimensional = lazy.

It's very formulaic in terms of being a summer blockbuster, but to that end I found it delivered. I think X-Men's primary shortcoming was that it couldn't handle the ensemble cast, where all these great actors didn't have screentime to be their best. Dawn doesn't really have that issue, and the plot isn't entirely predictable.

Begin Again 7.5/10

Wife dragged me to this, surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Completely disagree with the bad review it got on Global.

Looking forward to reading what some of you think of this, if you see it.

Edited by aliboy

Jodorowsky's Dune - 9.5 / 10

Documentary of the year. Kills me that this film was never made, but the animated storyboards bring it to life

Watched it yesterday. AWESOME movie for fans of Dune.

Here's hoping that his dream of having someone animate his story comes true one day. I'd LOVE to watch it.

Also watched the Lego movie. Yup, it was as good as everyone says 8.5/10.

Touching, funny, well animated and smart (for a kid flick). Just might earn a permanent home in the collection.

Edited by J.R.

Apes: 6.5/10

Fun to look at, not fun to hear. Dialogue seemed to have been written by James Cameron (not a good thing).

Too bad it wasn't "True Lies" James Cameron. That movie is stil the shiz.

Aliens and the first two Terminators are classics nonetheless. It's John Connor in T2 I still can't forgive him for. I get a rash just thinking about how annoying that kid was

Anakin in Phantom Menace and John Connor in Judgment Day

10/10

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 7.5/10

Loved "most" of this movie. Ralph Fiennes was a revelation. Willem Dafoe's Jopling was the most memorable side character I've seen in ages. The detailed visuals were stunning. And when concierges are calling each other to "round up the troops" is instantly one of my favourite scenes in the history of film.

And yet, it lost me at the sled scene. Up until that point, all of the unrealism could be excused by the narrative set up. (Older man telling story of his youth, where he was told by an older man the story of his youth - an Inception-like nostalgia-within-a-nostalgia.) But this scene just took it right over the top, and shattered the illusion that this was in any sense "real". It lessened the impact of the ending of the film, and the end result for each of the characters.

I still enjoyed it, and will think fondly of many scenes. But I can't put it up with my Anderson favourites (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, and Fantastic Mr. Fox).

Edited by D-Money