The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Night Moves - 7/10

Decent little moody thriller about 3 enviro activists getting together to blow up a dam in Oregon. They go their separate ways and spend the rest of the movie getting more and more paranoid. 1st half was definitely better than the 2nd, probably due to my favorite of the 3 not being in it other than a voice on the phone. I liked the cliff hanger ending (my interpretation under spoiler tag if you've seen it). Worth a watch if you don't expect anything life changing.

that last shot of him debating what to write on the job application - it's not the first time he's had to disappear - he's thinking back through past names he's used

Expendables 3 - 5.5/10

Could think of worse ways to have spent the evening than watching this movie. Wasn't any better then the second though, as it's so obvious that the idea behind the series has exhausted itself. The PG nature was a bit too strong as well. Laughed a couple of times, rolled my eyes almost as often. Considering what's out in theatres besides Guardians of the Galaxy, it wasn't a bad choice for a watch. Mel Gibson was pretty bad ass in this.

Turbo - 4/10

Don't know why I endeavour to check out all the latest animated movies. So many have been average at best recently, and this one was a complete waste time. I put off watching this for a while, but I thought it could just look bad, yet turn out to be a mildly pleasant surprise like Epic, which I was able to enjoy. I couldn't. This was bad.

And how terrible is this film supposed to be? Well, Stallone's last name in the film is "Hawk", and throughout the movie, people constantly refer to him as either "Hawk" or "Hawks". So the writers never bothered to settle on one or the other. And Stallone's son's name in the film is "Mike Hawk". Yup, that happened.

Could be worse......his last name could be Hunt....

I watched Saving Mr. Banks this weekend, not because I particularly wanted to, but because there was literally nothing else on.

Since my expectations weren't all that high, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Hanks was pretty good as Uncle Walt, but Emma Thompson nailed the part of a PL Travers. The rest of the cast was good too, especially Paul Giamatti who plays the ever-optimistic driver, Ralph.

Solid 7 from me.

Anaconda - 2/10

Thanks to Paul Scheer's podcast, I am now venturing off and watching some absolutely brutal movies. Unlike "No Holds Barred", this was not fun to watch. It's difficult to suspend disbelief when the film is setup in the "real world". If they had done the movie like "Sharknado", then it would have been fine; or a snake that became that large because of lab testing. But the fact that it is enormous AND apparently eats people was really bad.

But let's just say you didn't have an issue with those two things, which I really didn't, the film is still difficult to get through. As soon as Stoltz' character needed to go to the hospital (in the first 30 minutes of the film), even though they would have been two days away from a hospital by taking a road traveled that they knew was safe, instead they listen to some random guy they picked up (Jon Voight) who wants to blow up a route that nobody has traveled before with dynamite and see if that gets them some other place faster. Oh yeah, and he just wants to hunt snakes, while the rest of them are in the Amazon to film a documentary about some topless women.

Worst/Best scene is when the snake regurgitates Jon Voight, who is now dead, and as his lifeless corpse is in front of Jennifer Lopez, he winks at her.

Edited by Monty

Watched American Hustle on the weekend. It's good, largely well acted and certainly entertaining but if felt like a less clever version of a more clever movie I'd already seen.

7/10

Forget what I rated it, but upon reflection, this seems about right. It's a film that I didn't regret watching, so it automatically hits the 5/10 marker for me. And it was well acted by all. The person who went unnoticed in it was Jeremy Renner, who I thought was the strongest of the bunch.

And the film that you're thinking of, at least to me, is called "The Sting".

The November Man - 7/10

A bit overly indulgent with the bleakness at times. To have Pierce Brosnan as a spy with barely a hint of campiness didn't help too much.

Had my attention the whole time, though. Great action on top of a decent thriller thread to follow. Enjoyed it overall.

before sunrise: 8/10

before sunset: 7/10

i could get behind the youthful bickering in the first one. and i did appreciate the 'upgrade' (maturation?) in dialogue in the second one. but i admit, i did find it a little exhausting to watch adults sorta whine about their lives after a while. Delpy's character seemed especially self absorbed.

but part of me also feels like it all made sense and not everyone is perfect but everyone is a little neurotic, etc.

lovely scenery tho.

will watch the final of the trilogy tonight

I'm just realizing now that as much as I love Sunset & Midnight, I never did see Before Sunrise. Yeah I think the point is that we like to think we outgrow our petty, whiny younger selves, but really we just find more mature ways to dress up those tendencies.

And boy, if you thought Delpy was self-absorbed in Sunset, prepare yourself for Midnight...

I'm just realizing now that as much as I love Sunset & Midnight, I never did see Before Sunrise. Yeah I think the point is that we like to think we outgrow our petty, whiny younger selves, but really we just find more mature ways to dress up those tendencies.

And boy, if you thought Delpy was self-absorbed in Sunset, prepare yourself for Midnight...

oh dear

i am ready

Just tried watching American Hustle with my wife and we both stopped it 20 minutes in.

We thought it was awful.

We were bored with the story and did not like any of the characters. Thought Christian Bale's character was the worst.

1/10

When my wife and I watched it she said, this better pick up soon, and it did. The beginning is not good but it picks up right after about where you stopped watching....really.