The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Detention - 7/10

Was described as The Breakfast Club meets Scream meets The Fly meets Back to the Future, which... didn't really sound appealing to me, but made me curious. It's also a total love letter to all that was great and terrible about 90s pop culture.

All but Scream were from the 80's FWIW.

Stardust - 9.5/10

One of those times where I know I'm rating it higher than it deserves. We all have our movies that we enjoy more than we should.

The only thing I don't like about Stardust is Claire Danes. I think she's miscast, only because I don't like her as an actress. Nothing she has done has ever been interesting to me. Not My So-Called Life, Romeo and Juliet (because I'm not stupid), Brokedown Palace, The Mod Squad, Terminator 3. She was ok in The Rainmaker, but only because she was beaten in it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of movies we enjoy more than we should...

Speed Racer - 9/10

I haven't seen it in probably 3 years, but remember enjoying it. However, I had a terrible flu at the time and was on some serious medication when I watched it. Maybe that explains why I was tearing up at the end. I just remember being so happy for Speed and his family in the final stretch of the race when he was going to win.

Wow, sad times in the Monty household.

Edited by Monty

Stardust - 9.5/10

One of those times where I know I'm rating it higher than it deserves. We all have our movies that we enjoy more than we should.

The only thing I don't like about Stardust is Claire Danes. I think she's miscast, only because I don't like her as an actress. Nothing she has done has ever been interesting to me. Not My So-Called Life, Romeo and Juliet (because I'm not stupid), Brokedown Palace, The Mod Squad, Terminator 3. She was ok in The Rainmaker, but only because she was beaten in it.

Loved that movie.

Speed Racer - 9/10

I haven't seen it in probably 3 years, but remember enjoying it. However, I had a terrible flu at the time and was on some serious medication when I watched it. Maybe that explains why I was tearing up at the end. I just remember being so happy for Speed and his family in the final stretch of the race when he was going to win.

Hated this movie.

yeah, i just watched that trailer for the first time. looks really great actually. but i've never really enjoyed any of Inarittu's movies, to be honest... Biutiful was my favourite of the lot, but I wouldn't say I loved it. Didn't like 21 Grams at all, and recently re-watched Amores Perros and didn't care for it much either. Don't remember anything about Babel

That's a good point. Both 21 Grams and Babel were movies I remember thinking were well made but left almost zero impression on me. Like I only remember a few vague scenes from either. I only made it through 10 minutes of Amores Perros, it was too difficult to watch as a dog lover.

Haven't seen Biutiful.

Coherence 5/10

Not as good as I expected from reviews. Described as 'cerebral sci-fi' but was more of a couples drama at a dinner party from hell with paranormal stuff going on outside - something about a comet causing a schroedinger's cat scenario. I knew it was low budget going in but not this low. Like the camerawork felt really amateur, charcters going in and out of focus, tilted angles, flickering lighting. Maybe it was intentional. But it wasn't all bad, had a few genuinely creepy scenes that stuck with me.

Stardust - 9.5/10

Apparently Homeland has been a major renaissance for her.

chef: 6.5/10

i don't know, it was a fine movie. some nice visuals, some nice looking food. not really a whole lot going on there, though. doesn't really deal with anything major or thought provoking or something like that.

just seemed like a lot of wish fulfilment for jon favreau, or however you spell it

chef: 6.5/10

i don't know, it was a fine movie. some nice visuals, some nice looking food. not really a whole lot going on there, though. doesn't really deal with anything major or thought provoking or something like that.

just seemed like a lot of wish fulfilment for jon favreau, or however you spell it

What'd you think of all the Twitter product placement?

Otherwise I agree, I felt like it could have been "more". It was entertaining and charming enough but frankly Ratatouille is a better "chef" film.

Edited by J.R.

Speed Racer - 9/10

Speed Racer is one of my guilty pleasure movies.

The dialogue is terrible and I hate some of the character (the kid and the monkey) but it's so bright and colourful and so much action. It's like action! (starwipe) action! (crosswipe) action! (fade in) action! (starwipe). I almost got high off of this movie, visuals alone.

Edited by :D

Speed Racer is one of my guilty pleasure movies.

The dialogue is terrible and I hate some of the character (the kid and the monkey) but it's so bright and colourful and so much action. It's like action! (starwipe) action! (crosswipe) action! (fade in) action! (starwipe). I almost got high off of this movie, visuals alone.

I was really sick the last time I saw it; and ironically enough, after I just brought it up again, I've started to come down with a terrible cold, and today I'm barely making it through work. Perhaps it's time for another viewing.

What'd you think of all the Twitter product placement?

Otherwise I agree, I felt like it could have been "more". It was entertaining and charming enough but frankly Ratatouille is a better "chef" film.

i remember reading on here "it's a big twitter commercial" (maybe from you), so i went in having that on the back of my mind, and yeah, it was pretty intense.

i looked it up after to see if it was as cynical as it seemed, but apparently favreau was literally inspired by twitter, and wasn't paid or funded a dime for any of it. so i guess that made me care a little less

and i agree about Ratatouille, but i think i have a totally out of control, almost irrational appreciation for that movie. i've probably watched it like 15 times now

Edited by GLASSJAW

i remember reading on here "it's a big twitter commercial" (maybe from you), so i went in having that on the back of my mind, and yeah, it was pretty intense.

i looked it up after to see if it was as cynical as it seemed, but apparently favreau was literally inspired by twitter, and wasn't paid or funded a dime for any of it. so i guess that made me care a little less

and i agree about Ratatouille, but i think i have a totally out of control, almost irrational appreciation for that movie. i've probably watched it like 15 times now

Yup, that was me.

Uh-huh... <_< (<--skeptical face).

I don't think I've seen it 15 times but probably something like 8+. It's a great freaking movie. Cartoon/kids movie or not.

Since majority of the frequent posters here are on trend with movies and use terms like "the shiz" (lol), please recommend me a good drama or thriller to watch. I haven't had the time to even watch the Weather Network the last few weeks so I want to make my relaxation time tomorrow as great as possible.

I considered checking out David Fincher's The Game, has anyone watched it here?

I've watched most (if not all) movies mentioned to be great in the last few pages.

Oh and Kingdom of Heaven was pretty lackluster. The director's cut had odd editing and placement of scenes that was distracting. It all felt messy.

Since majority of the frequent posters here are on trend with movies and use terms like "the shiz" (lol), please recommend me a good drama or thriller to watch. I haven't had the time to even watch the Weather Network the last few weeks so I want to make my relaxation time tomorrow as great as possible.

I considered checking out David Fincher's The Game, has anyone watched it here?

'The Game" is ok. I remember loving it when it first came out back in the 90s. I tried watching it with the wife a few months ago because she had never seen it, but we both fell asleep during it. It's still a good movie, I just don't know if I'd break a movie drought like you've been in with 'The Game'.

If you're in the mood for a decent drama, I would actually recommend 'The Rainmaker'. Even though it stars the intolerable Claire Danes, the rest of the cast is incredibly solid: Matt Damon, Danny DeVito, Mickey Rourke, and Jon Voight. Fairly long, but I found that it really flies by.

In the mood to laugh? Can't go wrong with 'The Wicker Man'. Nic Cage punching Leelee Sobieski, wearing a bear costume, punching women while wearing a bear costume, and a face full of bees. Best night out you can have.